Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do people customize garbage cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 07:50 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
i would drive this trash all day errday

was it designed to be built or driven this way...obviously not.
does making it into a work of art, reflecting the owners personality make it trash just because its not "serving its purpose" - IMO no.
What I see from that car is a Waste of a car and money from it owner. There is no purpose to make it that way.

Again, some one trash maybe someone else treasure.

Certainly people do what they want to their own.

Everything that has no purpose is a waste in life.

Someone can gain so much weight as an elephant, and call that an Art*, but that is a Life wasted
Old 11-12-13, 08:14 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

its purpose is to make someone happy and bring them joy.
playing trucks or ninjas with my son serves no real purpose and doesnt really benefit anyone...
would i ever stop doing it or call it a waste of life because it has no real purpose? ...not at all ^_^
Old 11-12-13, 09:11 AM
LexFather

I'll leave a quote from my bud Clark……

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...The-Re-stylist

“There is no right or wrong way to enhance a vehicle,” he explains. “Your vehicle expresses who you are. It’s like fashion. One person’s clothing sense might be different than another’s, but if they walk out the door and feel good about how they look, that’s all that matters.”
And that is what matters. People buy what they can afford and clearly the higher end cars influence everyone and what they want to install and do to their cars. Some people just modify how they want and some never got any guidance and might not know what they are doing. I modified my crappy Nissan Sentra, my crappy Hyundai Scoupe, my ES 300 manual etc

Again to me what is important is the passion for the automobile and to modify and keep the movement going. To me that is more important than talking **** on the internet

Last edited by LexFather; 11-12-13 at 09:14 AM.

Old 11-12-13, 09:17 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 240benzo
its purpose is to make someone happy and bring them joy.
playing trucks or ninjas with my son serves no real purpose and doesnt really benefit anyone...
would i ever stop doing it or call it a waste of life because it has no real purpose? ...not at all ^_^
I agree, and this is another topic, when it involves family members.

Someone trash is some one else treasure.

If I was wasting my money on a car like that, the first person to be Mad and Un-happy is my Wife, then my kids, because all those money could go toward their saving, college funds, foods...etc

To me, car like that is a waste, and I wouldn't even drive one.

Now, if someone with a Hobby, buy a Junk Yard, mod it, race the hell out of it, then I respect it. I also respect people who do the right things, for example, Modifying a Sport car.

I even respect those people who own Trucks and modify them to go off-road, or an RX-350 with Bikes Rack on top, and Rear gate. Why ? because it serves it's General Purposes.

Everybody has their own ways of enjoying and doing things. Yet, Psycho people choose to kill others. Is that considered Trash or Taboo ? Yes! it is Criminal. Does that serves a purpose ? Yes, it made that Psycho happy.

After all, you do what is right, and whoever did that to those cars to defeat it's purposes is wrong, and that is wasted (Trash.) You just don't put a Basket Ball Talented player into a Foot-Ball Field!!
Old 11-12-13, 09:23 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Again to me what is important is the passion for the automobile and to modify and keep the movement going. To me that is more important than talking **** on the internet
I had been there, done that. I took all those saying

Your car reflects your personality.....

I went and Modified my VR-4 to compete to a GT-R.

I poured money on into it, before I knew, I was in 25k, Cash....with my Donor car

I finished it as 480 AWHP, and 415 AW Torque.

Did it drive like a GT-R ? Faster

Did it handle as well ? Better

Did it serve the purpose ? Yes

But I spent all the money there, and I was not able to scoop it back up. I ended up destroying the Value of that car, had a hard time selling, and lost almost 35k when I sold it.

The reason why I sold it ? Because modified cars can only be worked on by a performance shop, not any shops. Modified cars have things happen here and there....and more money need to sink into it.

I finally realized that if I had saved that 35k, and the car value of 10k, I would be able to put down 45k as a down payment on a new or used GT-R.

I sold the car, and I bought RX-350 for wife instead. Because....it made my whole family happy, instead of only me.
Old 11-12-13, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I had been there, done that. I took all those saying

Your car reflects your personality.....

I went and Modified my VR-4 to compete to a GT-R.

I poured money on into it, before I knew, I was in 25k, Cash....with my Donor car

I finished it as 480 AWHP, and 415 AW Torque.

Did it drive like a GT-R ? Faster

Did it handle as well ? Better

Did it serve the purpose ? Yes

But I spent all the money there, and I was not able to scoop it back up. I ended up destroying the Value of that car, had a hard time selling, and lost almost 35k when I sold it.

The reason why I sold it ? Because modified cars can only be worked on by a performance shop, not any shops. Modified cars have things happen here and there....and more money need to sink into it.

I finally realized that if I had saved that 35k, and the car value of 10k, I would be able to put down 45k as a down payment on a new or used GT-R.

I sold the car, and I bought RX-350 for wife instead. Because....it made my whole family happy, instead of only me.
Which is a great story. I'm not here to argue with people who make different life choices and don't modify or don't understand modifying cheaper cars. I'm simply explaining my stance and maybe the reasons "why" since it was asked.

I rather not get into the "financial car chat" b/c then everyone will explain how cars are the worst thing in the world and we all should invest in the stock market.

Old 11-12-13, 09:32 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Which is a great story. I'm not here to argue with people who make different life choices and don't modify or don't understand modifying cheaper cars. I'm simply explaining my stance and maybe the reasons "why" since it was asked.

I rather not get into the "financial car chat" b/c then everyone will explain how cars are the worst thing in the world and we all should invest in the stock market.
I totally agree. After all, people modify their car, because they enjoy it, or was influenced by other higher platforms.

I also agree with the ops about the defeated purposes of the modification of the wrong cars category. It will just come down to Personal Taste, and Perspective.

Old 11-12-13, 09:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If u love cars and want to add ur on personal touch - it dont matter if the car cost $5k or $500k. Ppl do it bec they LOVE their car and enjoy going to show/meets/autocross whatever.

Now there is a Right and Wrong way to modify cars - and far too often POS cars usually have POS mods which make the car less safe and less useful.
Old 11-12-13, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Guys i misinterpreted my post. Camrys and accords aren't garbage cars, but they're not cars worth customizing. This thread was mainly a knock on people who customize cars like a camry, a accord, a prius and similar concept cars. It isn't worth to put over a grand of your money into a design that barely any thought was put into
This explanation is no different. You're still looking down your nose at people who want to customize their car but don't have $50,000+ to spend on a car. Regardless of what you say now, the use of the word "garbage cars" is pretty strong. You can't call them garbage cars and then come back and say that you didn't mean they were garbage cars. You meant it.

What makes a car "something worth customizing"? Why would you think no thought went into a Camry or an Accord? Have you driven the new Accord? I can promise you, MUCH thought and design goes into those cars...the Camry is a much more important car to Toyota than the GS, they're just mainstream cars.
Old 11-12-13, 11:18 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This explanation is no different. You're still looking down your nose at people who want to customize their car but don't have $50,000+ to spend on a car. Regardless of what you say now, the use of the word "garbage cars" is pretty strong. You can't call them garbage cars and then come back and say that you didn't mean they were garbage cars. You meant it.

What makes a car "something worth customizing"? Why would you think no thought went into a Camry or an Accord? Have you driven the new Accord? I can promise you, MUCH thought and design goes into those cars...the Camry is a much more important car to Toyota than the GS, they're just mainstream cars.
Agreed. Your making yourself sound worse OP
Old 11-12-13, 12:01 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I see from that car is a Waste of a car and money from it owner. There is no purpose to make it that way.

Again, some one trash maybe someone else treasure.

Certainly people do what they want to their own.

Everything that has no purpose is a waste in life.

Someone can gain so much weight as an elephant, and call that an Art*, but that is a Life wasted
Now you want to get into a discussion about "purpose"? You're opening a massive can of worms there.

What is the purpose of buying a sports car? Playing a videogame? Watching a movie? Having a drink with friends?
Old 11-12-13, 12:44 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infamous3
I don't get it do these people think customizing their 20k cars is going to turn heads or something

I don't mean simple easy cheap customizations like plasti dip, I'm talking about getting it wrapped, getting new colored brake pads, getting your headlights/taillights tinted. Why put money into a car like a accord or a camry. What goes through these peoples heads I don't get it. Your driving a garbage car, its going to be a garbage car no matter what exterior customizations you do to it
You sound pretty snooty. A $20,000 Accord or Camry is not "garbage". Base model, yeah, but still a decent car especially compared to what was around when I began driving in the 80s. Put me in a 2013 Accord when I was a kid and it may as well be a spaceship.

As for mods, well why does anyone do it, whether to a $2,500 car, $50,000 car or $250,000 car? To make it their own, to make it unique, to make it stand out in a crowd of stock vehicles. I've seen $10k cars massively improved with springs, rims, exhaust and tint so why not a $20k car??
Old 11-12-13, 12:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys knock off the personal comments
Folks exit this thread if you can't do this.
Old 11-12-13, 07:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Whitigir;8232797][QUOTE=240benzo;8232785]
I agree with everything you said. I too wouldn't be seen driving one of those. Why would you want an Economic box look like that ? think about how horrible off balance, and stiff it would drive.

/QUOTE]

so a lexus with the same mods wouldnt be stiff and "unbalanced"....

No! What I am saying is that a Family Orientated, and was originally produced for Family purposes are Comfortable, Soft, Safe...etc. Why would you buy a car and mod it to totally destroy it's purposes ? Say the Accords, the Camry, the Corolla.

You modify something to improve that thing purposes, not to destroy it.

There are cars that were built to fit the Sport, Fun segments of life. Coupe, or Sedan, FWD or RWD...etc. Those are cars for the modding. Say, the WRX or STI, or Mazda speed 3, Miata, M3....etc. Now, these are the cars that you can mod.

I am with the Op here. When you Modify something, and you destroy it purposes, it becomes Trash. The same thing as with Lexus. A Lexus RX should never be Modified. I bought the RX for my family, I would love the F-Sport trim, but it defeat the purposes of soft and comfy ride for a family CUV
Who said that a family car supposed to be a soft and comfy ride? I modified our RX with lower springs, larger 20" rims. and all kinds of video entertainment. I don't think the ride was harsh. In fact I think most cars are too soft and cushy and should be stiffer and firmer so you can feel the road better. It also should have a more firm steering as too much power steering boost ruins the cars feel. I feel my modifications make the car better, not ruin it because it makes the car more like a car and less like a boat. Who is right? Me or you?

Sometimes I do modifications for no other reason than I want it to look different from a stock one. Is that wrong?

The whole point is nothing is a waste of money if the person spending that money is happy with what he gets.

I would counter and say it is a waste of money to have more than1 drink, or eat out more than 2X a week. Or to buy more than one present for each child for Christmas. Is it a waste of time and money? Or is it worth it because it brings joy and happiness to someone? Who is the final authority that decides all these things and are we all willing to yield ourselves to the decision this final authority says is or is not the right way?
Old 11-12-13, 07:46 PM
Piraiba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people buy 200k houses and dump another 50-100k into renovating them when they can buy a readily available 300k house that's just as good or even better? It's because they do it for themselves the way they want it.

On that note, maybe we should all just give up on life because we can't afford to have a $3M house and a four car garage with a Ferrari 458, Maserati GT, and Porsche 911 Turbo?

Quick Reply: Why do people customize garbage cars