Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Small things that bug you about our Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 09:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ individual monitoring, yes, but does not tell you which pressure belongs to which tire and which one has low pressure.
that's only for the LS and RX Hybrid

New ones: in GS ES IS

Old 11-11-13, 10:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LINDSDST
But that's my whole point. Why did it take Lexus this long to put this feature on a luxury car???? Other luxury cars have had this feature for years! My friend's Jeep is a 2006 and it tells her exactly what tire. IMO, Jeep is not considered luxury tier. To me that's a small thing that bugs me. Lexus dropped the ball on that, even though they're finally putting this in 2014 and up models.
yep, my 2004 C5 would give you a warning message, "LR TIRE LOW, 25 PSI"
Old 11-11-13, 11:22 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceIridium
3. "Toyota" stamped all over Lexus parts boxes. Walk into a gorgeous new Lexus service and parts department, enjoy the lattes, the fancy aquarium, the fine leather sofas... all befitting the ambiance of a luxury brand, then walk up to the parts counter and see 10 million "Toyota" logos all over the shelves. Yes I know it's made by Toyota but could ya at least keep up the continuity for appearance? Do Porsche parts come in VW boxes? Do Ferrari parts come in Fiat boxes? Come on.
I'm sorry, but this is a silly complaint. We are all driving re-badged Toyotas, and I see no problem with that or any reason to try to hide it. If not for Americans' obsessions with badges, Toyota would have happily sold all the cars under the Lexus brand as Toyotas. But they knew people wouldn't pay luxury prices for a Toyota, no matter how good the cars were... I'd rather Toyota save the cost of printing new packages for the same parts. And in fact, I would have happily paid a couple thousand less for my current car if it was otherwise exactly the same but sold at a Toyota dealership.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-11-13 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

To me the BIGGEST thing right now is material quality and finish quality. On the GS, the LS & the LX its very good, but on all the other models IMHO interiors nowadays are taken over by cheap hard plastic. I just sat in a new 2014 GX and I was shocked by how low rent the top line luxury interior looked to me, single stitched leather that was pulling at the seams, hard coarse plastic on the dash and all the door panels. Terrible. All you have to do is walk through an Audi, BMW or MB dealer and the difference in how they finish out their cars is immediately apparent. Even outside, they all have such nice fitting trim and such, while a Lexus by comparison often looks quite plain.

I remember when my Dad first got his 98 LS. We were in awe of its precision, everything about it was beautiful and perfect, not one cheap interior piece, the perfectly installed little chrome strip that went around the belt line, the subtle two toned paint, the perfectly installed chrome trim around the windows. Every door and handle was perfectly damped and solid. It was really a special car that stood out amongst anything he had ever owned, and anything else he could have bought. Its just not that way anymore, and at a time when other manufacturers are really upping their game in this area they need to get back to it.

o0o, thought of another one.

Smart key access on ALL DOORS. I hate having to reach for either the driver or front passenger to lock or unlock the car
It depends on the model. The ES, GS, LS, GX, LX has smart key access on all doors. Only the CT, IS & RX do not.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man the one thing I'd really like to see from Lexus is a wide range of colors/finishes on the interior. Benz offers the "Deisgno" option, which lets you pick through about 6 different shades of brown/beige and white leather, with some unique looking wood trim.
Yes, I agree! They are getting better with flaxen, cabernet & roja red but black, grey, and ivory get old.

As for the "Toyota" stamped on the boxes. I remember back when "Toyota" was stamped on the windows! I agree, the boxes should say "LEXUS".

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-11-13 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SW13GS
To me the BIGGEST thing right now is material quality and finish quality. On the GS, the LS & the LX its very good, but on all the other models IMHO interiors nowadays are taken over by cheap hard plastic. I just sat in a new 2014 GX and I was shocked by how low rent the top line luxury interior looked to me, single stitched leather that was pulling at the seams, hard coarse plastic on the dash and all the door panels. Terrible. All you have to do is walk through an Audi, BMW or MB dealer and the difference in how they finish out their cars is immediately apparent. Even outside, they all have such nice fitting trim and such, while a Lexus by comparison often looks quite plain.

I remember when my Dad first got his 98 LS. We were in awe of its precision, everything about it was beautiful and perfect, not one cheap interior piece, the perfectly installed little chrome strip that went around the belt line, the subtle two toned paint, the perfectly installed chrome trim around the windows. Every door and handle was perfectly damped and solid. It was really a special car that stood out amongst anything he had ever owned, and anything else he could have bought. Its just not that way anymore, and at a time when other manufacturers are really upping their game in this area they need to get back to it.

It depends on the model. The ES, GS, LS, GX, LX has smart key access on all doors. Only the CT, IS & RX do not.

Yes, I agree! They are getting better with flaxen, cabernet & roja red but black, grey, and ivory get old.

As for the "Toyota" stamped on the boxes. I remember back when "Toyota" was stamped on the windows! I agree, the boxes should say "LEXUS".
preach it

Actually the GX only has it on the front two doors. $60K and only two doors go figure

I remember this too. Actually last I had my bumper off installing some fog lights I recall seeing several metal parts in my IS stamped Toyota too
Old 11-11-13, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Actually the GX only has it on the front two doors. $60K and only two doors go figure :roll eyes:
Really?!?

And why have it on the ES and not the GX or the IS? The ES had 4 door smart key in 2007
Old 11-11-13, 03:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would also have to add the fact that my wifes 06 Acura TL told us the pressure in each tire. With my 75K LS its a damn crap shoot . I know they have added recently but that is just shamefully behind on a safety feature that most driver will use
Old 11-11-13, 03:15 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, i realize that some models have smart access on all doors and that some models show individual tire pressure, but it bothers me that it is inconsistent across the line. I understand the RX starts at 39K but when you option the RXh like I have up past 60K, it should have all of those things. Either charge more for it and do it right by having it done properly on all models, or don't do it at all. I have the same gripe about the toned down PCS systems on lower models
Old 11-11-13, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, the smart access should be on every door across the line. I can understand the two doors on Toyota models, but not Lexus.

The ES starts at less than the RX and it has had smart access at every door since it had smart access...makes no sense.
Old 11-11-13, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, i realize that some models have smart access on all doors and that some models show individual tire pressure, but it bothers me that it is inconsistent across the line. I understand the RX starts at 39K but when you option the RXh like I have up past 60K, it should have all of those things. Either charge more for it and do it right by having it done properly on all models, or don't do it at all. I have the same gripe about the toned down PCS systems on lower models
I agree, the smart access should be on every door across the line. I can understand the two doors on Toyota models, but not Lexus.

The ES starts at less than the RX and it has had smart access at every door since it had smart access...makes no sense.
Simply put, smart access on all doors and a individual toms readout should be standard on anything with a L badge, rather unacceptable. "But other Luxury manufactures don't all do it either." "Who said you have to be like all the others, break out of the mold and start doing right"

Down with bean counters!
Old 11-11-13, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LINDSDST
But that's my whole point. Why did it take Lexus this long to put this feature on a luxury car???? Other luxury cars have had this feature for years! My friend's Jeep is a 2006 and it tells her exactly what tire. IMO, Jeep is not considered luxury tier. To me that's a small thing that bugs me. Lexus dropped the ball on that, even though they're finally putting this in 2014 and up models.
The Buick Verano, a luxury-oriented compact that sells between 23 and 30K, also has the individual-tire PSI sensors that, at the push of a button, instantly tells you the exact pressure in each tire...not just comparing rotation speeds. The fact that GM uses this feature (and a number of others) in a compact car of this price range shows you that it is not that expensive an item to install, expecially when it is part of the multi-function trip-computer. I agree with the comments from those who say there is no reason why it could not have been used on luxury/upmarket cars for some time.
Old 11-11-13, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To me the BIGGEST thing right now is material quality and finish quality.
Hard to beat Audis in that department. Their interiors have been impressive for years.

On the GS, the LS & the LX its very good, but on all the other models IMHO interiors nowadays are taken over by cheap hard plastic.
No coincidence. Those three models, in general, are the most expensive of the mass-produced Lexus models, outside of the LF-A. Their materials and fit/finish are better simply because you PAY more. But I agree that (still), given the 40K price tag of most new ES and IS models, they could have done a better job inside and on the sheet-metal. For proof, look no further than the ES's own brother, the Toyota Avalon....the car that, IMO, except for its too-firm ride, the new ES should have been, and wasn't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Thread title said things that bug us about OUR Lexus. I assume its for owners FYI.

Old 11-11-13, 06:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

wheel gap on sport model that is bigger then some 4WD SUVs
Attached Thumbnails Small things that bug you about our Lexus-03-2013-lexus-gs350-f-sport-review.jpg   Small things that bug you about our Lexus-2012-porsche-cayenne-turbo-left-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 11-11-13 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
wheel gap on sport model that is bigger then some SUV
Wheel gaps like that are sometimes used for several good reasons. It allows more up/down suspension-travel, allowing better ride comfort, more bump and pothole-absorbtion, lessening the chances for the tires scraping in the well on hard turns, allowing packed snow and ice in the wells to be easier cleared-out after driving on snowy roads, and, for mechanics/technicians, makes parts of the tires easier to inspect without taking them off the car. In some cases, it can even allow more cooling around the brake rotors from better airflow in the well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-13 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Small things that bug you about our Lexus