Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by yowps3
QFT

The funny thing is that Lexus used to actually be the HP leader before they got obsessed with being SPORTY. Remember the GS400? Their last class lead in HP was the 2IS IS350 with 306 HP from a V6. Since then all the competitors have caught up and exceeded Lexus.

Today Lexus seems to be all about being sporty yet their cars are the weakest on paper at least.
Are you seriously talking about one car and 17 years ago? Really.

We all know new engines are coming. Stop beating a dead horse. Caddy did a great thing here but I don't see our forum trading in their GS's for it. I know we are not. More power would be great but clearly consumers are happy and sales are thus far stronger in 2014 than 2013.

Old 04-06-14, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Having driven the new CTS no way would I trade my GS for it, more power or not.
Old 04-07-14, 09:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Today Lexus seems to be all about being sporty yet their cars are the weakest on paper at least.
I can certainly see how this can be a current perception of Lexus.
Old 04-09-14, 02:51 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the manufacturers seem to be heading in the same direction. F-Sport, V-Sport, M suffix...the sporty versions of standard cars are starting to be the main way they keep the base car price low and make more money for the substantial car. And then the ISF/RCF, CTSV, M3/M5 alpha-males are $20k above the previous tier.

It sure seems like every Lexus car can get an F-Sport package, BMW an M sport package, etc..

The CTS V-sport is different enough from the base CTS and the CTSV that I consider it a new entry. The V3 CTS-V is going to be even more nutso and likely be around 600hp and $20k more expensive...so GM needed something else to compete in the 400-500hp arena at the same $60k price point. The V-sport takes that spot.
Old 04-09-14, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
All of the manufacturers seem to be heading in the same direction. F-Sport, V-Sport, M suffix...the sporty versions of standard cars are starting to be the main way they keep the base car price low and make more money for the substantial car. And then the ISF/RCF, CTSV, M3/M5 alpha-males are $20k above the previous tier.

It sure seems like every Lexus car can get an F-Sport package, BMW an M sport package, etc..

The CTS V-sport is different enough from the base CTS and the CTSV that I consider it a new entry. The V3 CTS-V is going to be even more nutso and likely be around 600hp and $20k more expensive...so GM needed something else to compete in the 400-500hp arena at the same $60k price point. The V-sport takes that spot.
Actually Cadillac is taking a page out of Audi's book with the introduction of VSport. Unlike F-Sport or M-Sport which are really just appearance and maybe some chassis bits, VSport like Audi's S is the next step up in performance without having to go full fledge RS or V. I like this

A6, S6, RS6
CTS, CTS VSport, CTS-V
Old 04-09-14, 02:57 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Good point.
Old 04-09-14, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Good point.
anxiouz, I see you currently have a CTS-V and you've had an IS F so you're no stranger of V8 sedans. What do you think about the latest CTS as well as the VSport variant? Do you see youself ever getting a VSport or perhaps the new V when it releases or maybe getting into a RC F or GS F, maybe something different althogether? Not prying, just curious your thoughts
Old 04-09-14, 03:33 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
anxiouz, I see you currently have a CTS-V and you've had an IS F so you're no stranger of V8 sedans. What do you think about the latest CTS as well as the VSport variant? Do you see youself ever getting a VSport or perhaps the new V when it releases or maybe getting into a RC F or GS F, maybe something different althogether? Not prying, just curious your thoughts
The Vsport is excellent but at *roughly* the same price and power point as a Lexus ISF/RCF I would go Lexus. The refinement is something I miss. It was sheer power (and a great deal that fell into my lap) that lured me to the CTS-V and although I don't regret it and am likely enjoying it more than the F, I do miss the old car very much.

The standard CTS is really quite good but simply not the kind of car I'm interested in. But I would certainly look at one of those over a 3-series or Infinity or the like if I was in that market. Again, personal preference though.

I would love to get into the new V but simply can't afford it. That's partly why I grabbed a V2 now...with the price hike when the V3 arrives the older power is going to be more difficult to find deals on.

I will absolutely be keeping an eye on the RCF market although with a 6-month old now I need a sedan or wagon. So perhaps the rumored GS-F might pull me back in.

And a factor to consider is MPG. I was getting 17mpg in the ISF on my commute (no hwy) and am down in the 14's now. 14 certainly sucks...but not when you consider it's only 3mpg less with 150hp more and 2 less gears. But the Vsport with 4xxhp straddles the power-to-mpg line a bit more reasonably, which makes it more appealing and balanced choice. The V is quite a monster to be honest lol. But the overkill is a huge part of why I like it so much.
Old 04-09-14, 03:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just wondering would the GS450h be a closer competitor to the V-sport than the 350? I understand it being a hybrid but it does have slightly more hp to help with track numbers i suppose. What you think or is that not a better comparison?
Old 04-09-14, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

The Vsport is excellent but at *roughly* the same price and power point as a Lexus ISF/RCF I would go Lexus. The refinement is something I miss. It was sheer power (and a great deal that fell into my lap) that lured me to the CTS-V and although I don't regret it and am likely enjoying it more than the F, I do miss the old car very much.

The standard CTS is really quite good but simply not the kind of car I'm interested in. But I would certainly look at one of those over a 3-series or Infinity or the like if I was in that market. Again, personal preference though.

I would love to get into the new V but simply can't afford it. That's partly why I grabbed a V2 now...with the price hike when the V3 arrives the older power is going to be more difficult to find deals on.

I will absolutely be keeping an eye on the RCF market although with a 6-month old now I need a sedan or wagon. So perhaps the rumored GS-F might pull me back in.

And a factor to consider is MPG. I was getting 17mpg in the ISF on my commute (no hwy) and am down in the 14's now. 14 certainly sucks...but not when you consider it's only 3mpg less with 150hp more and 2 less gears. But the Vsport with 4xxhp straddles the power-to-mpg line a bit more reasonably, which makes it more appealing and balanced choice. The V is quite a monster to be honest lol. But the overkill is a huge part of why I like it so much.
Some good insight

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I'm just wondering would the GS450h be a closer competitor to the V-sport than the 350? I understand it being a hybrid but it does have slightly more hp to help with track numbers i suppose. What you think or is that not a better comparison?
To a point yes you could say the 450h would be a closer competitor when you consider it's 338hp vs 306 in the standard GS, and also the price of 450h is much more in line with the VSport.

It's too bad we don't get the F-Sport GS450h because that one is quite capable.

Always loved this video:

Old 04-09-14, 08:18 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Not at all. The CTS V-Sport is producing nearly 100 hp more while weighing hundreds less and is simply much faster. It's a second quicker than the GS350 F-Sport which itself is over a half second quicker than the GS450h. Lexus truly needs a competitive engine in this field I would say from the RC-F but I would rather see a V8 fighting twin turbo 6-cylinder seeing as how Lexus has put much emphasis on light weight with the new GS.
Old 04-10-14, 08:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Not at all. The CTS V-Sport is producing nearly 100 hp more while weighing hundreds less and is simply much faster. It's a second quicker than the GS350 F-Sport which itself is over a half second quicker than the GS450h. Lexus truly needs a competitive engine in this field I would say from the RC-F but I would rather see a V8 fighting twin turbo 6-cylinder seeing as how Lexus has put much emphasis on light weight with the new GS.
Not sure if this is available in Europe but they likely would compare the two since peak HP rating is not the be all of car purchasing. Something some on the internet still don't understand lol.

The Lexus new engine dead horse is well aware of things.

Old 04-10-14, 11:18 AM
LexFather

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...350-awd/?all=1

**Spoilers BELOW**

GS wins but it was a close call to the reviewers.

Old 04-10-14, 04:48 PM
JM51526
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Always loved this video...
That is one truly entertaining video, and I hadn't seen it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-10-14, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JM51526
That is one truly entertaining video, and I hadn't seen it. Thanks for sharing!
Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for proving one of my points. They made the video to demonstrate the GS450h (F-Sports) capabilities on a circuit/track and once the initial release of the car was done, they seemingly stopped all advertising for the GSh. Not many have seen this

Quick Reply: 2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons