Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 07:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

autonomous cars would free up a lot of time for you to do something else, could be a couple hours a day for some people.
Old 11-12-13, 07:38 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
What elitism? My point was that people already do said things while driving, and it creates problems for everybody else. I had to honk at no less than THREE people to get moving at lights just yesterday who were obviously doing things other than looking at the green light right in front of them. If you'd rather text or sleep or read the paper rather than driving no problems here - get an autonomous car as soon as they come out. But in the meantime, put down your phone/paper/book/pillow and pay the F attention and drive. Or take the bus. Or find someone else to drive you.

We need autonomous cars in the DC area very badly.

WP: All your suspicions confirmed: Washington has nation’s worst drivers
Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood at first, sorry. Yes, those kinds of drivers are the worst. I thought you were saying that you couldn't understand why anyone would want to text or play games or whatever instead of driving if they could safely do so and still get where they want to go.
Old 11-12-13, 07:44 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood at first, sorry. Yes, those kinds of drivers are the worst. I thought you were saying that you couldn't understand why anyone would want to text or play games or whatever instead of driving if they could safely do so and still get where they want to go.
I'm blessed with a short commute, but yes if I had an hour commute each way like a lot of people do around here, I'd want an autonomous car also. There's no pleasure at all from driving in stop and go traffic surrounded by idiots. I'd much rather watch a movie, surf the web, play games, take a nap, or a zillion other things too.
Old 11-12-13, 08:16 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm blessed with a short commute, but yes if I had an hour commute each way like a lot of people do around here, I'd want an autonomous car also. There's no pleasure at all from driving in stop and go traffic surrounded by idiots. I'd much rather watch a movie, surf the web, play games, take a nap, or a zillion other things too.
This.

I drive an hour and 40 minutes each way to get to work. Its only a 38 mile drive! If I could work/nap during that time, it would be amazing!

Let's think about some side effects from autonomous cars.. self driving= better merging, less traffic congestion. That's in regards to roads. now think about how it would affect individuals. more free time equals more productivity. or go the opposite direction...more free time equals more sleep/nap/rest time, which in turn equals less stress, which leads to a whole bunch of positives.

Back to me personally: With the extra hour+ that I would gain, I could rest, reducing risk of falling asleep at the wheel (well, if it were autonomous would it matter?lol), reducing stress, answer PMs, etc..

But I will always and forever need to have a stick shift car to take up the mountains/track.
Old 11-12-13, 09:10 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quality of life would most certainly improve for a lot of people!
Old 11-12-13, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We need autonomous cars in the DC area very badly.

WP: All your suspicions confirmed: Washington has nation’s worst drivers
Yes, there are a lot of accidents in this area, but that isn't necessarily because this region has drivers that are any worse than anywhere else. The D.C. and Los Angeles/SoCal regions have the worst and most dense traffic in the country. Roads, parking lots, etc...are incredibly crowded much of the time, with cars literally darting in and out from all directions at once. Just getting into and out of the typical suburban shopping-center lot, for example, you have to have eyes in every corner of your head, looking all directions at once....yes, even with back-up cameras and blind-spot detectors. So, even the most careful drivers (not to mention the ones that aren't particularly careful) have to be on their toes constantly to avoid an accident or fender-bender. If you can drive here in the D.C. area (or SoCal) safely, you can probably drive safely just about anywhere else, too....it will be a piece of cake.
Old 11-12-13, 11:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the Jetsons were right !!!! Just a little later than we thought >LOL
Old 11-12-13, 11:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree that there are a lot of numskull drivers that should be in a self driving car

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions

Side note.... does anyone remember demolition man, with Sylvester Stallone and the ever so beautiful Sandra Bullock?
Self Driving Cars, Skyping, Ipads..... this was back in 1993!
93????

Try the early 80's. KITT has you beat with AUTO CRUISE