Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 09:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car

1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car

Autonomous cars are coming – it's just a matter of when and how quickly they will be adapted by buyers. To help find the answer to the latter, CarInsurance.com polled 2,000 licensed drivers, which returned some very interesting results regarding self-driving cars.

Perhaps the most interesting statistic pulled from the study is that one in five drivers (20 percent) are willing to completely give up driving if autonomous cars were currently available. Since a self-driving car is also expected to operate in a safer manner compared to humans (especially those distracted, aggressive or drunk), car insurance rates could also drop when these cars hit the market, and 33 percent of those in the study said they would buy an autonomous car if rates dropped by 80 percent – a rate reduction that had 90 percent of respondents "very likely" to consider such technology.

Digging a little deeper, the study found that just over half of those polled put more trust in autonomous vehicles designed by automakers (as opposed to communications or software companies), but the majority still had reservations about cars that are able to drive themselves. Three-quarters said that they can drive better than a computer and that they wouldn't trust an autonomous car to take their kids to school, and almost two-thirds said that computers don't have the decision-making skills of humans.

Driverless cars study: 1 in 5 would let computers do the driving

Nov. 4, 2013 (Foster City, CA) -- A new CarInsurance.com survey finds that one in five Americans would never take the wheel again if a self-driving, or autonomous, car were available.

While 20 percent of the 2,000 licensed drivers surveyed said they would gladly turn over the keys, interest in autonomous vehicles soared when the prospect of dramatically reduced insurance costs was introduced. More than a third of those surveyed said an 80 percent discount on car insurance rates would make purchase of an autonomous vehicle "very likely," and 90 percent of drivers said they would at least consider the idea.

Cars that park themselves, navigate stop-and-go-traffic or avert an impending collision are already on U.S. roads today. Nissan has promised to deliver a fully autonomous vehicle -- one that allows a computer to assume control under the right conditions -- to showrooms by 2020. A fully automated vehicle that doesn't need a human operator could someday follow.

"Our survey shows cheaper insurance will greatly influence consumer acceptance," said CarInsurance.com managing editor Des Toups. "Some of the liability of operating a car will doubtless be assumed by the manufacturer," Toups said. "But a lot of the decrease in rates could come simply because there would be many fewer accidents."

Trust will be a big hurdle, the survey results show:

64 percent said computers were not capable of the same quality of decision-making that human drivers exhibit.
75 percent of respondents said they can drive a car better than a computer could.
75 percent said they would not trust a driverless car to take their children to school.

The survey also asked consumers which companies they would trust most to deliver driverless-car technology.

Communications company such as Sprint or Verizon: 1 percent
Consumer products company such as Apple or Samsung: 12 percent
Software company such as Google or Microsoft: 15 percent
Start-up automaker such as Tesla: 18 percent
Traditional automaker such as Honda, Ford or Toyota: 54 percent

Asked what they would do with their additional free time, drivers responded:

Text/talk with friends: 26 percent
Other: 21 percent
Read: 21 percent
Sleep: 10 percent
Watch movies: 8 percent
Play games: 7 percent
Work: 7 percent

The "Other" category included two significant write-ins. More than 10 percent of respondents wrote in some variation of "enjoy the scenery" and 9 percent wrote in "watch the road," "hold on for dear life" or something similar.

See the full article at http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles...ars-ready.aspx.
Methodology

CarInsurance.com commissioned an online-panel survey of 2,000 licensed drivers. The survey was fielded in September 2013.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/10/n...riverless-car/
Old 11-11-13, 08:17 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems to align exactly with my estimate of how many people shouldn't be driving anyways due to their seeming ignorance of proper traffic laws!
Old 11-11-13, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding most drivers I see on the road, I want 4 out of 5 drivers to be driven by autonomous cars...
Old 11-11-13, 09:00 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would only use it if I'm too intoxicated to drive.
Old 11-11-13, 09:09 AM
pshep138
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I could do it. I have control issues, haha.
Old 11-11-13, 09:29 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Individual
I would only use it if I'm too intoxicated to drive.
This.

Side note.... does anyone remember demolition man, with Sylvester Stallone and the ever so beautiful Sandra Bullock?

Self Driving Cars, Skyping, Ipads..... this was back in 1993! If we had to go the autonomous route, I would like a system like the one shown in Demolition man. Drive when you want, or relax and let the car take care of it for you.
Old 11-11-13, 09:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

haha Demolition Man
Old 11-11-13, 09:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I can imagine as the systems get better and the public becomes more confident in the ability of the systems that te proportion will increase. I love driving too much to give it up but wouldnt mind the option on a long trip to LA
Old 11-11-13, 10:13 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I can imagine as the systems get better and the public becomes more confident in the ability of the systems that te proportion will increase. I love driving too much to give it up but wouldnt mind the option on a long trip to LA
This. The future is amongst us gents. Long trips from socal to norcal in your electric vehicle, recharging it at night, and heading back down, enjoying the view the entire time. Seats that face each other coming soon?

Gah, I remember when I first sat in a car using cruise control lol. Thought THAT was amazing...now look at us.
Old 11-11-13, 11:17 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Asked what they would do with their additional free time, drivers responded:

Text/talk with friends: 26 percent
Other: 21 percent
Read: 21 percent
Sleep: 10 percent
Watch movies: 8 percent
Play games: 7 percent
Work: 7 percent
People already do this without autonomous driving cars, LMAO!!!!!!

THESE numbskulls are the people that should definitely have autonomous driving cars to drive them around FOR them, as obviously driving is just so trivial and cannot be allowed to disrupt their texting with friends, reading, or game playing.

Old 11-11-13, 11:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,444 Likes on 1,603 Posts

really looking forward to autonomous cars. and as the articles says, they're likely to have lower insurance rates, or rather, the rates for those who still insist on driving will have to pay big for it as THEY are the liability.
Old 11-11-13, 12:01 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 1 out of 5 number is going to be muuuch bigger before long. Might be within many of our life times where the majority of cars on the road are no longer driven by people.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
People already do this without autonomous driving cars, LMAO!!!!!!

THESE numbskulls are the people that should definitely have autonomous driving cars to drive them around FOR them, as obviously driving is just so trivial and cannot be allowed to disrupt their texting with friends, reading, or game playing.

I love cars and driving (hence my presence here and on many other similar forums), but even I have plenty of times where I would love to have the option to let the car do the work for me while I read a book, take a nap, play a game, do some work, etc.

What is it exactly that gives you this feeling of elitism over people who would rather do something other than drive?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really looking forward to autonomous cars. and as the articles says, they're likely to have lower insurance rates, or rather, the rates for those who still insist on driving will have to pay big for it as THEY are the liability.
I don't think that's how it would (or should) work. If less cars are getting in accidents, rates will go down for everyone. (Of course they would go down more for those who have autonomous cars) So... woohoo, we're all gonna save some money! Eventually...!

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-11-13 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So who's waiting? A lot of people are driving that way right NOW.

Old 11-11-13, 07:08 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i would love to have the option of the car driving itself. Would be a nice way to nap during my morning commute, lol.
Old 11-12-13, 07:29 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I love cars and driving (hence my presence here and on many other similar forums), but even I have plenty of times where I would love to have the option to let the car do the work for me while I read a book, take a nap, play a game, do some work, etc.

What is it exactly that gives you this feeling of elitism over people who would rather do something other than drive?
What elitism? My point was that people already do said things while driving, and it creates problems for everybody else. I had to honk at no less than THREE people to get moving at lights just yesterday who were obviously doing things other than looking at the green light right in front of them. If you'd rather text or sleep or read the paper rather than driving no problems here - get an autonomous car as soon as they come out. But in the meantime, put down your phone/paper/book/pillow and pay the F attention and drive. Or take the bus. Or find someone else to drive you.

We need autonomous cars in the DC area very badly.

WP: All your suspicions confirmed: Washington has nation’s worst drivers

Quick Reply: 1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car