Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Lincoln MKC

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Interesting, so this is smaller than the MKX? Doesn't look a whole lot different.
The MKX is not really that large of an SUV to start with. (it is, in fact, mostly a rebadged/upscale Ford Edge). But, yes, the MKC is a little smaller (it is based on the smaller Ford Escape platform)...and, IMO, is both styled and designed better inside and out.
Old 02-07-14, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
RDX sales are utterly perplexing
Well, the new RDX probably sells because Acura addressed some of the excessive sport-orientation of the old one, and made the 2Gen version more palatable to a wider range of buyers. The old one was one of very few American-market Honda/Acura fours with low-RPM torque (probably because of the turbo), and would push you back hard in your seat in the lower gears. But the throttle, in some ways, was like an on/off switch, and the overly-stiff suspension took bumps like a go-kart. The new 2Gen version utilizes a more refined V6 and more civilized underpinnings.

This Lincoln is another CUV far better, it really looks great.
No arguments there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-14 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 05:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A very nice effort by Lincoln. The modern and smooth styling should age well. My only gripes include the nerdy minivan front triangle windows and a center stack that is too tall and prominent. I'm also not reading good reviews on the pushbutton transmission.
Old 02-07-14, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Lincoln only has two cars
Yep....and neither one of them is selling. On top of that, they dropped the one car they had that DID sell.....the Town Car. Lincoln management now seems to be admitting that was a mistake.

and 4 utility vehicles and people wonder why they are not competitive.
They pretty much have to keep the Navigator around as a competitor to the Cadillac Escalade/GMC Yukon Denali, Lexus LX, Infiniti QX56, Audi Q7, Mercedes GL, Range Rover Sport, and BMW X5. The MKX, I admit, is not very impressive, but at least it gives Lincoln a shot in the luxury mid-sized SUV field....and, IMO, doesn't look quite as awkward as the larger MKT. The MKT, IMO, could probably be dropped.....to me, it looks awkward front and rear, is not selling well, and I wasn't that impressed with the performance of the one I sampled with the turbo Ecoboost V6. But, I'll admit, the MKT does have some fans....I think one of the staff here on CL owns one (but I can't remember who).

The MKC, of course, has the potential to open up a whole new field for Lincoln.......one that it has never dealt in before. It should also take some sales away from the overly-chunky-looking Cadillac SRX.
Old 02-07-14, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A very nice effort by Lincoln.
Probably the best by Lincoln in recent years, I'll admit.

My only gripes include the nerdy minivan front triangle windows
A number of new vehicles now have that....even regular sedans and coupes. Some of that may (?) be required by an extra vertical brace required for the new roof rollover/crush standards. That's also why many of the A , C, and D pillars on newer vehicles are so large and thick.

and a center stack that is too tall and prominent.
At least the center stack doesn't have those awkward, difficult-to-use finger-slide controls for stereo/climate/fan-speed found on its brother Lincoln MKZ and most new Cadillacs. Instead, on the MKC, those functions use easy-to-adjust round *****.

I'm also not reading good reviews on the pushbutton transmission.
True I'm with you in that, rather than buttons, I'd rather have a traditional fore/aft shift lever (NOT a zig-zag one). But the idea and concept of the push-buttons is nothing new. Chrysler products used dash push-buttons for their two-speed PowerFlite and three-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmissions from the late 1950s through the mid-60s....indeed the first car I ever practiced driving on was a 60's vintage Plymouth compact with the push-buttons....then I learned on a manual transmission. The ill-fated late-1950s Ford Edsel also used push-buttons for the automtic transmisison....mounted, of all places, in the middle of the steering wheel hub (no wonder the Edsel didn't sell).

And, of course, the push-buttons do have some useful features. They save space around the console by not having the lever sticking up (that could get in the way of you and your girl friend on a date) . They also prevent the need for an awkward column-mounted shift-lever or an even MORE awkward, hard-to-use stub-shifter like those found on some upper-level Mercedes and BMW products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 06:51 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep....and neither one of them is selling. On top of that, they dropped the one car they had that DID sell.....the Town Car. Lincoln management now seems to be admitting that was a mistake.

They pretty much have to keep the Navigator around as a competitor to the Cadillac Escalade/GMC Yukon Denali, Lexus LX, Infiniti QX56, Audi Q7, Mercedes GL, Range Rover Sport, and BMW X5. The MKX, I admit, is not very impressive, but at least it gives Lincoln a shot in the luxury mid-sized SUV field....and, IMO, doesn't look quite as awkward as the larger MKT. The MKT, IMO, could probably be dropped.....to me, it looks awkward front and rear, is not selling well, and I wasn't that impressed with the performance of the one I sampled with the turbo Ecoboost V6. But, I'll admit, the MKT does have some fans....I think one of the staff here on CL owns one (but I can't remember who).

The MKC, of course, has the potential to open up a whole new field for Lincoln.......one that it has never dealt in before. It should also take some sales away from the overly-chunky-looking Cadillac SRX.
...and neither one of these SUVs Lincoln has are selling well either along with their cars. Navigator did sell well at one point but fizzled out. MKX,MKT= DOA, and now here comes the MKC just on a smaller scale. SMH. Dont get me wrong, i like Lincoln. Its my fav behind Lexus but the decision making has been out of left field for awhile now and dont seem to get better. Yes i understand they have to compete in a segment that they dont exist in but come on, give us something a little different other than styling from what everyone else makes. Lincoln makes some of they best concept cars but brings out some of the worst production models. A whole lot was lost in translation

P.S.
Sorry for being Debbie Downer to your thread MMarshall.
Old 02-07-14, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Sorry for being Debbie Downer to your thread MMarshall.
No problem. I welcome all opinions...even those that disagree with mine. If I didn't, I wouldn't be posting in this forum. And, at least, your disagreements are polite. ....as are most (but not all) that I deal with.

Lincoln makes some of the best concept cars but brings out some of the worst production models
The MKC you saw as a concept will be the same one that is released to showrooms in a few months.

; MKX,MKT= DOA, and now here comes the MKC just on a smaller scale.
As I see it, not this time. The MKC is not just a larger Lincoln SUV that shed some size and pounds. It also carefully avoids some of the things that made the MKX and MKT DOA.....though I am admittedly concerned about the MKC's lack of a refined V6. Ecoboost fours, IMO, aren't the ideal powerplants for a luxury vehicle in this class....though I'll have to save any more comments on that pending a formal test-drive. And, of course, the upcoming CAFE laws are possibly going to strangle some of the availability of engines we'd like to see. That's not Lincoln's fault...that's Big brother.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 07:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Looking at Town Car sales reveals that sales declined for 14 consecutive years before the plug was pulled. From a high of 97,547 in 1998 to 9,460 in 2011. A clear indication the TC's life cycle had run its course and really didn't have a future. Time moved on with this model. It had its run..
Old 02-07-14, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Looking at Town Car sales reveals that sales declined for 14 consecutive years before the plug was pulled. From a high of 97,547 in 1998 to 9,460 in 2011. A clear indication the TC's life cycle had run its course and really didn't have a future. Time moved on with this model. It had its run..
Did that include limo firms? The TC was their poster-car for decades. That was the only new vehicle many of them ordered, preferring it (and the stretched-limo versions of it) to even the Cadillac DTS and its stretched versions.

And, because the DTS, Town Car, and Buick Lucerne are no longer available as new cars, they're bringing a lot of buisness on the used-car market.....values of good, clean, well-cared-for examples have risen lately. Many of their former buyers simply have not accepted the MKS, XTS, and LaCrosse like they did the former....though, admittedly, the LaCrosse is doing surprisingly well with a number of seniors I know (friends and people I swim with every day at the local indoor pool/recreation center).

From what I gathered talking to the Lincoln reps at the D.C. show (and I was very careful to listen to what they actually said, not just what I may have subconsciously wanted spun to agree with my own views), Lincoln management is taking complaints (and reduced attendance) at every major car show. They now admit that dropping the TC was a mistake, but, without a total or major redesign, they can't figure out a way to actually bring it back without busting future CAFE requirements. Big Brother, in effect, is preventing it.
Old 02-07-14, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Well, the new RDX probably sells because Acura addressed some of the excessive sport-orientation of the old one, and made the 2Gen version more palatable to a wider range of buyers. The old one was one of very few American-market Honda/Acura fours with low-RPM torque (probably because of the turbo), and would push you back hard in your seat in the lower gears. But the throttle, in some ways, was like an on/off switch, and the overly-stiff suspension took bumps like a go-kart. The new 2Gen version utilizes a more refined V6 and more civilized underpinnings.

No arguments there.
Mike its a figure of speech. It's perplexing as why would anyone buy it. A ford escape or Toyota fav-4 and Kia ans Hyundai SUVs offer much more features and technology and look better. The Lincoln here does a good job of being a very presentable case and offering.

Old 02-07-14, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
A ford escape or Toyota fav-4 and Kia ans Hyundai SUVs offer much more features and technology and look better. The Lincoln here does a good job of being a very presentable case and offering.
Though it's generally a decent small SUV and screwed together well, I'm not much of a fan of the new Escape/Kuga's looks or its interior....particularly its small, too-thinly-padded rear seat. The MKC (which is done on the same platform) absolutely trumps the Escape both inside and out. Granted, the MKC commands a markedly higher price tag...but it is (probably) going to be money well-spent.

I don't want to overly-praise the MKC and become too starry-eyed, though, until I can actually sit in it and drive it. I have yet to see what I consider a perfect vehicle............and I know that the MKC isn't going to be any different. I'm going to find some faults....one can take that to the bank. But the best vehicles, as I see them, have a lot of good points and few bad ones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 06:14 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3L EcoBoost Makes 285 HP

Lincoln is jumping into the compact crossover segment with the new MKC and the brand has released revised power numbers and fuel economy estimates for the vehicle.

The MKC will be available with two different turbocharged EcoBoost engines, a 2.0-liter that makes 240 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque along with a new 2.3-liter that puts out 285 hp and 305 lb-ft of torque. Originally, Lincoln had said that the larger EcoBoost would make 275 hp.

Lincoln has also released estimated EPA fuel economy numbers, pegging the small engine option at 20 mpg in the city, 29 mpg on the highway and 23 mpg combined for the front-wheel drive model, or 19 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined for the all-wheel drive. Bump up to the 2.3-liter and fuel economy drops to 18 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 21 mpg combined.

Starting at $33,995, the MKC offers the most value in its segment, under cutting Audi’s Q5 and the BMW X3 by several thousand dollars.
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/8...n-MKC-Main.JPG
Old 06-04-14, 09:11 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

2015 Lincoln MKC’s 2.3-Liter EcoBoost Rated at 285HP and 21MPG Combined [New Pics & Videos]

As the all-new 2015 MKC will reach U.S. showrooms this month, Lincoln has released new photos and information about its small premium utility vehicle. An important update is that the 2.3-liter has been rated at 285hp at 5,500 rpm and 305 lb-ft (413 Nm) of torque at 2,750 rpm, or 10 hp and 5 lb-ft (6.7 Nm) over the initial figures.

With the help of Active Grille Shutters, the 2.3-liter EcoBoost has an EPA-estimated rating of 18 mpg (13 l/100km) city/26 mpg (9 l/100km) highway/21 mpg (11.2 l/100km) combined - in standard FWD configuration.

The Lincoln MKC will be offered with a standard 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine producing 240hp at 5,500 rpm and 270 lb-ft (366 Nm) of torque at 3,000 rpm. EPA-estimated ratings for the front-wheel drive model are 20 mpg (11.7 l/100km) city/29 mpg (8.1 l/100 km) highway/23 mpg (10.2 l/100km) combined, while the model fitted with the optional Intelligent All-Wheel Drive returns 19 mpg (12.4 l/100km) city/26 mpg (9 l/100km) highway/22 mpg (10.7 l/100km) combined.

Both engines are linked to a six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The base price for the 2.0-liter front-wheel drive model is $33,995, including destination and delivery charges.

The Lincoln MKC will also be sold in China alongside the MKZ sedan when the Lincoln brand debuts there later this year. The 2015 MKC is currently being produced at Louisville Assembly Plant in Kentucky.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/201...-ecoboost.html
Old 06-04-14, 09:14 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 06-04-14, 09:39 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice pictures.

People would have to be crazy to think they couldn't find a CUV in today's market. So many nice offerings

Quick Reply: 2015 Lincoln MKC