Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 12:11 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of the last car companies that is still putting out beautiful designs; everything else looks like it was designed by committee or engineers.
Old 11-15-13, 01:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I much agree that this car is too expensive. Just my personal opinion, but the F-Type doesn't have the looks, refinement, performance or pedigree to cost over $100k. Lots of more exotic, more beautiful, faster options for that much coin.

$70k? Fair enough. $75k? Maybe. $80k+? No way.
Old 11-15-13, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I much agree that this car is too expensive. Just my personal opinion, but the F-Type doesn't have the looks, refinement, performance or pedigree to cost over $100k. Lots of more exotic, more beautiful, faster options for that much coin.

$70k? Fair enough. $75k? Maybe. $80k+? No way.
The F-Type does start at $69,000 for the 340hp version
Old 11-15-13, 04:43 PM
Hoovey689

This is just plain sexy BTW
Old 11-15-13, 05:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The V8's throttle response is nothing short of now, and it takes due restraint to keep the rear tires moving at the same rate as the asphalt beneath them. Of course, that also means the F-Type is illegal levels of fun.
Easily the truest statement in the entire review. With all the electronics turned to its "race" setting, I was trying soooo hard to accelerate smoothly and it just wouldnt happen. Its full boil at even the slightest tap of the accelerator which probably wouldnt be fun at anything short of a race track.

This car drives like nothing else in its line up. The XFR (and XKR) is incredibly less involving to drive than the F-type. The sounds emanating from the exhaust is seriously intoxicating, the handling is direct and sharp but as they said, not really tossable. However, I'd call you a liar if you didnt find this car entertaining to drive. Its a small British muscle car and the looks are to absolutely die for! I loved it!

I too think its expensive but its not any more ridiculous than what Porsche charges for a Boxster S which can also be optioned to the mid 90's-100K. If that is out of reach, they have the V6S with a very ear pleasing soundtrack and all the handling options of the V8 at a lower cost.
Old 11-15-13, 11:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GFerg
Easily the truest statement in the entire review. With all the electronics turned to its "race" setting, I was trying soooo hard to accelerate smoothly and it just wouldnt happen. Its full boil at even the slightest tap of the accelerator which probably wouldnt be fun at anything short of a race track.

This car drives like nothing else in its line up. The XFR (and XKR) is incredibly less involving to drive than the F-type. The sounds emanating from the exhaust is seriously intoxicating, the handling is direct and sharp but as they said, not really tossable. However, I'd call you a liar if you didnt find this car entertaining to drive. Its a small British muscle car and the looks are to absolutely die for! I loved it!

I too think its expensive but its not any more ridiculous than what Porsche charges for a Boxster S which can also be optioned to the mid 90's-100K. If that is out of reach, they have the V6S with a very ear pleasing soundtrack and all the handling options of the V8 at a lower cost.
excellent post
Old 11-16-13, 12:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I prefer this Jag over the Boxster or Cayman
Old 11-16-13, 02:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blackraven
To be honest, I prefer this Jag over the Boxster or Cayman
I'd have to agree. The Boxster and Cayman may be the better handling more pure sports cars, but the F-Types looks and V8 certainly make it an easy choice for me
Old 11-16-13, 03:18 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the most overpriced, but one of the most overpriced cars ever made. What does Jaguar think it is? Lamborghini? Their reliability stink, and the car doesn't perform as well as it should.
Old 11-16-13, 07:18 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so funny, a car with merely 300 HP can be 64,000 + ? No thank you

I rather buy a C7...Hello C7
Old 11-17-13, 04:37 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Whitigir
This is so funny, a car with merely 300 HP can be 64,000 + ? No thank you

I rather buy a C7...Hello C7
Clearly you've never priced a Porsche. The Cayman/Boxster has 275 hp and with adding some of the options that are standard on the F Type, costs almost $70k. As a former 911 owner, I'd take the F type over any Porsche.

The F Type and Corvette buyers are not the same.
Old 11-17-13, 06:22 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Clearly you've never priced a Porsche. The Cayman/Boxster has 275 hp and with adding some of the options that are standard on the F Type, costs almost $70k. As a former 911 owner, I'd take the F type over any Porsche.

The F Type and Corvette buyers are not the same.
That is true, I compared it to a different car, but Porsche reliability is way better than Jaguar, unless they have changed it so much
Old 11-17-13, 08:01 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Whitigir
That is true, I compared it to a different car, but Porsche reliability is way better than Jaguar, unless they have changed it so much
Reliability is subjective. The majority of modern day vehicles are reliable. I've pointed out a few times on this board, that there is less than a 1 problem per vehicle difference between the first and last place automotive brands in the JDP study. The scary thing is no one really knows the specifics of the 1 problem difference (i.e., cup holder, engine, transmission or infotainment) because JDP doesn't report actual problems.

Even if the F Type is less reliable than a Porsche Cayman/Boxster/911, I'd still take the F Type.

I can't wait to see the coupe!
Old 11-17-13, 10:21 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwr
Reliability is subjective. The majority of modern day vehicles are reliable. I've pointed out a few times on this board, that there is less than a 1 problem per vehicle difference between the first and last place automotive brands in the JDP study. The scary thing is no one really knows the specifics of the 1 problem difference (i.e., cup holder, engine, transmission or infotainment) because JDP doesn't report actual problems.

Even if the F Type is less reliable than a Porsche Cayman/Boxster/911, I'd still take the F Type.

I can't wait to see the coupe!
Just a year or two ago, my friend had to tow his brand new Range Rover Sport back to the dealer, I say it's cupholder.
Old 11-17-13, 11:32 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by cino
Just a year or two ago, my friend had to tow his brand new Range Rover Sport back to the dealer, I say it's cupholder.
I think it was the LR3/LR4, but it had an obscene amount of cup holders like 11 iirc

Quick Reply: Review: 2014 Jaguar F-Type V8 S