Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much power is the 3AE-FTE gonna have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 02:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Look at the torque number and curve.
The 2.0t in the A4 makes its 258 lb. ft. 1500-4300 rpms.
Old 11-15-13, 04:07 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
interesting, everyone bags on that engine.
Hyundai's 2.0t is quite a bit more sophisticated than GM's 2.0t

It just felt stronger and more refined.
Old 11-15-13, 06:51 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Not very optomistic it will be competitive. I believe Hyundai set the bar for their 2.0T and I doubt Toyota will beat it: The Theta-II engine produces 274 horsepower (204 kW) and 269 lb·ft (365 N·m) of torque while achieving an efficiency rating of 34 mpg-

These claims of 210-250hp really, is that all you guys want? Toyota did that in the 3S-GTE in 1990 - 1997. Surely in 23 years with all the new direct injection, electronics advances, variable timing, dual scroll turbos, ball bearing turbos, they should be able to top their wildly reliable 3S-GTE.

The 3S-GTE found in the MR2 Turbo and Celica All-Trac lives on in dune buggies, san rails, and other applications to this day.

I don't understand why manufacturers are going backward, Audi does it too. Their 2.0T puts out around 200hp yet my "old" Audi 1.8T puts out 225hp.

Last edited by toy4two; 11-15-13 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 07:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Not very optomistic it will be competitive. I believe Hyundai set the bar for their 2.0T and I doubt Toyota will beat it: The Theta-II engine produces 274 horsepower (204 kW) and 269 lb·ft (365 N·m) of torque while achieving an efficiency rating of 34 mpg-

These claims of 210-250hp really, is that all you guys want? Toyota did that in the 3S-GTE in 1990 - 1997. Surely in 23 years with all the new direct injection, electronics advances, variable timing, dual scroll turbos, ball bearing turbos, they should be able to top their wildly reliable 3S-GTE.

The 3S-GTE found in the MR2 Turbo and Celica All-Trac lives on in dune buggies, san rails, and other applications to this day.

I don't understand why manufacturers are going backward, Audi does it too. Their 2.0T puts out around 200hp yet my "old" Audi 1.8T puts out 225hp.
i sure hope it is nothing like Sonata's engine in performance:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

Camry V6 is not only considerably faster than Sonata 2.0T, but also gets better real life MPG.

EPA MPG tests are worthless when gamed by manufacturers like Hyundai.

I would hope that real life performance of Toyota 2.0t is nothing like Hyundai's.

They could give us either fast engine with still-better than V6 MPG.
Or 200hp engine that gets 30 MPG in real life.

If they end up with 23 MPG and 7s 0-60 like in Sonata, then it is worthless.

I hope they get something like 7s 0-60 and 30+ MPG for 2.0t in car like Camry.
Old 11-15-13, 07:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The reliability information in the current Consumer Reports shows the Hyundai & Kia's with the 2.0t engine have all fallen to Below Average. It included Sonata, Genesis Coupe and Optima.

Several Ford models with the 2.0 Eco Boost have fallen too.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-15-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 08:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats why this turbo trend sucks, reduced reliability
Old 11-15-13, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
I think its a little sad that some don't even expect Lexus to come out with a class leading engine.

Motortrend tested the A4 along with other sport sedans in the class and it weighed in at 3710 lbs so that's my fault because I was thinking of the heavier A4 hatch/allroad.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Still a 3700 lb car with 211 hp at the time rushing to 60 in 5.8 sec is bewildering.
Cp1/yeh welcome to reality. I don't see people on the internetz crying and moaning he base a4 or a6 is fwd with a cvt with 210hp or the 320 has 180 hp.

I do see the same people *****ing about the IS 250 over and over so no matter what Lexus does they won't be pleased.

Honestly who cares, it's going to sell, it will be a good engine and that is that. Let the people hate and move goal posts on the internet.

Old 11-15-13, 10:50 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Z

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Realistically you should be changing filter+oil every 3000 miles on a turbo car.

The average person doesn't even know the definition of an oil change. Let alone care about it.

This is why N/A Toyota engines such as the 1.8L in the Corolla are so reliable. They can take a beating and they generally run for ever.
Old 11-16-13, 12:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Realistically you should be changing filter+oil every 3000 miles on a turbo car.

The average person doesn't even know the definition of an oil change. Let alone care about it.

This is why N/A Toyota engines such as the 1.8L in the Corolla are so reliable. They can take a beating and they generally run for ever.
Interesting how much you defend Hyundai here .

The power figures on Hyundai's turbo engine are overhyped. Fact. That has a poor overall power curve.
The EPA fuel economy figures for Hyundai's turbo engine are highly misleading and overstated. Real-world fuel economy is much worse than the EPA figures. Fact
Hyundai's turbo engine has well-known long-term reliability and durability problems. Fact

The last time Toyota participated in the turbo game, they were world famous for the overall quality, reliability, and engineering that their turbo engines had.

One of the most famous Japanese engines in the world, and one of the most famous turbo engines in the world, the 2JZ-GTE is a Toyota design. Another highly famous turbo engine, the 3S-GTE, is also a Toyota design.

Those Toyota engines back in their day had extremely competitive power ratings, fuel economy ratings, and were class-leading in quality, reliability, and engineering.

It would be wise not to underestimate Toyota's future powertrains. You can be sure that Toyota's upcoming turbo engines will have extremely competitive, if not class-leading power ratings on paper, fuel economy, excellent powerbands and torque curves, and of course the reliability and durability that Toyota is known for.

Toyota's engines won't be some slapped-together poorly engineered Frankenstein engines borrowing parts from several automakers like the Hyundai turbo.
Old 11-16-13, 02:06 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Interesting how much you defend Hyundai here .

The power figures on Hyundai's turbo engine are overhyped. Fact. That has a poor overall power curve.
The EPA fuel economy figures for Hyundai's turbo engine are highly misleading and overstated. Real-world fuel economy is much worse than the EPA figures. Fact
Hyundai's turbo engine has well-known long-term reliability and durability problems. Fact

The last time Toyota participated in the turbo game, they were world famous for the overall quality, reliability, and engineering that their turbo engines had.

One of the most famous Japanese engines in the world, and one of the most famous turbo engines in the world, the 2JZ-GTE is a Toyota design. Another highly famous turbo engine, the 3S-GTE, is also a Toyota design.

Those Toyota engines back in their day had extremely competitive power ratings, fuel economy ratings, and were class-leading in quality, reliability, and engineering.

It would be wise not to underestimate Toyota's future powertrains. You can be sure that Toyota's upcoming turbo engines will have extremely competitive, if not class-leading power ratings on paper, fuel economy, excellent powerbands and torque curves, and of course the reliability and durability that Toyota is known for.

Toyota's engines won't be some slapped-together poorly engineered Frankenstein engines borrowing parts from several automakers like the Hyundai turbo.
Yes I totally agree with you. And that's how Toyota used to roll in the 90s

Class leading everything. They were leading the game. Today they're arguably not even trying to rejoin the game. I for one hope they get back to how they used to be.

The problem is that today Toyota and Lexus are not centralised. Back in 90s Toyota Japan were the commander kings. They controlled the design, engineering and marketing of their product.

Today Toyota is a bit too de-centralised. And this affects the end product.
Old 11-16-13, 04:53 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Cp1/yeh welcome to reality. I don't see people on the internetz crying and moaning he base a4 or a6 is fwd with a cvt with 210hp or the 320 has 180 hp.

I do see the same people *****ing about the IS 250 over and over so no matter what Lexus does they won't be pleased.

Honestly who cares, it's going to sell, it will be a good engine and that is that. Let the people hate and move goal posts on the internet.
The BMW 320 even with a measly 180hp still gets to 60 mph in less than 7 seconds. What does the IS250 do again, while getting much crappier gas mileage also??
Old 11-16-13, 05:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes I totally agree with you. And that's how Toyota used to roll in the 90s

Class leading everything. They were leading the game. Today they're arguably not even trying to rejoin the game. I for one hope they get back to how they used to be.

The problem is that today Toyota and Lexus are not centralised. Back in 90s Toyota Japan were the commander kings. They controlled the design, engineering and marketing of their product.

Today Toyota is a bit too de-centralised. And this affects the end product.
Old lexus would cease to exist.. back when Lexus was introduced, best selling car in Japan was Crown.

Today best selling cars are Prius and Prius c which combined outsell rest of the Toyota lineup (50+ cars).

Japanese certainly dont buy big hp engines anymore, their market has moved.
Old 11-16-13, 05:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if i had to get a turbo car would have to run synthetic and do it every 5000-7500 probably. The interval for BMWs is very scary. 15k miles on a turbo engine for synthetic is insane. I looked at a bunch of oil analysis results for 335s and blackstone recommends 10k for that car. I wonder what the oil looks like if you go with the BMW interval.
Old 11-16-13, 06:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I thought it was was interesting that according to the CR data, the reliability of the 2.0t's from Audi and BMW was improving while the others mentioned above had fallen pretty dramatically.
Old 11-16-13, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I thought it was was interesting that according to the CR data, the reliability of the 2.0t's from Audi and BMW was improving while the others mentioned above had fallen pretty dramatically.
improving from what though. By definition, more components running harder is going to be less reliable and/or require more service. If turbo really was better overall, all manufacturers would be using it. This turbo trend coming out is due to the CAFE standards

Quick Reply: How much power is the 3AE-FTE gonna have?