Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 09:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Audi's headlights look great when they're actually working. Can't tell how many times I've seen only 1 of the 2 DRL working.
I can tell you -- exactly 1 time -- and it was just 1 LED bulb out not the entire DRL.
Old 11-21-13, 11:21 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
how does Acura make their light tech look so boring versus Audi's total badazz light tech?

eh because they are acura, and audi is audi?
Old 11-22-13, 03:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I really only saw that a few years ago when that tech was new. Now the only time I see that is when the turn signal is on, in which case the DRL goes out for visibility.
Yeah at first glance they do look like a drl is out when the turn signal is on. It makes sense though,
Old 11-22-13, 03:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
how does Acura make their light tech look so boring versus Audi's total badazz light tech?
Let me fix that for ya: how does every other manufacturer make their light tech look so boring versus Audi's total badazz light tech?

Lets be honest here, RLX LED headlight implementation is more daring and interesting than anything Lexus offers on the market right now.
Old 11-22-13, 07:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the power and mpg specs on the SH-AWD version is pretty damn nice 28/32 with 377 system hp and DCT
Old 11-22-13, 07:51 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the power and mpg specs on the SH-AWD version is pretty damn nice 28/32 with 377 system hp and DCT
Very tricky setup I must admit. We will see what's the verdict once its battle tested but enthusiasts got their wish of RWD Acura sedan come true finally as this one uses rear wheels to accelerate
Old 11-22-13, 08:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I'd like to see this powertrain in the TL or TLX or something other than the RLX.
Old 11-22-13, 08:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

next gen TL perhaps
Old 06-21-14, 06:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default 2014 acura rlx: And to think they designed the nsx...

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/artic...ource=carguide

The Acura RLX isn’t ugly. But it also isn’t stylish.
«»
The Acura RLX isn’t ugly. But it also isn’t stylish.
The RLX starts at $50,000 ($49,990 to be exact).
The dashboard is functional and user-friendly.
The 3.5-litre V6 engine develops 310 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 272 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm.
Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS) means all four wheels can turn.
The six-speed automatic transmission includes a manual mode and wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
The interior is bright thanks to the nice colour scheme.
The quality materials have been assembled with care.
The instrumentation is simple and easy to read.
Two screens: an eight-inch and a seven-inch. In a few years, dashboards will just be one big screen!
You want information? You got it!
This big button controls a whole host of parameters via the upper screen. The bottom screen is a touch screen.
Acura-style start button.
Controls for the sun roof, the ceiling light and the emergency system.
There is a Sport button on the console, but it doesn’t magically transform the RLX into a race car!
Lane Departure Warning, a headlamp cleaning device, traction control and Collision Mitigation.
Krell has a reputation for making excellent sound systems. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out how to adjust the bass in the RLX.
If you’re looking for a comfortable ride, consider the Acura RLX.
Even the rear seats are comfortable.
The rear seats are heated, which is a good thing. But some less expensive models also offer cooled rear seats.
There is no spare tire.
The trunk is more refined than some living rooms!
2012 was a big year for Acura. With a tendency to go overboard, Honda’s luxury brand launched two concept cars, the NSX and the RLX (at the Detroit Motor Show in January and the New York Auto Show in April, respectively). While the NSX knocked everyone’s socks off with its exquisite design, the RLX blew people away with its ugliness. At least it was just a concept, so there were chances that the production model would be a little more dynamic. But as you might have guessed, that is not what happened.

Contrary to the general trend of assigning an X to the name of vehicles with all-wheel drive, the Acura RL had all-wheel drive while its replacement, the RLX, only has front-wheel drive for the time being. A hybrid AWD version is on its way, but this article focuses on the vehicle we tested a few weeks back: an RLX Elite with front-wheel drive.

While the RLX’s engineers didn’t go wild designing it, it is nonetheless a vehicle with presence, even if only for its “jewel eyes” which definitely stand out from everything else is on the market. Some love them, others don’t.

Two screens and dozens of buttons
The interior, which is fully soundproofed, is distinctly more inspired than the vehicle’s body. The presentation is serious, the materials are carefully chosen and assembled by people with OCD. The dashboard is user-friendly and while not so long ago Acura kept 850 button factories in business, they must all be going bankrupt now, as most functions are now controlled via a seven-inch touch screen. Up higher, there’s an eight-inch screen that displays the GPS and other systems. That said, it’s not all perfect. I found the Krell sound system sub-par for Acura’s largest sedan. It might have helped if I could figure out how to balance the sound. But whatever you do, don’t tell me that it should be a cinch to figure out. In a car, you want everything to be a cinch so that you can keep your eyes on the road and comfortably enjoy your car the rest of the time. And while I’m ranting, I’ll also mention that I didn’t appreciate having to remove my gloves every time I wanted to enter the car. Normally, you just have to touch the exterior handle for the door to unlock, but with my gloves, it didn’t work.

The front seats are deliciously cushy. They offer great support for your entire body, which means the only thing enticing you to stop is going to be your bladder or your stomach. The rear seats are very inviting, too, except maybe for taller folks who will find that headroom is barely sufficient. The trunk is generous in its dimensions and is just as nicely crafted as the passenger compartment. I was almost tempted to crawl in and sleep there overnight. As always, Acura has paid the utmost attention to detail. The rear seatback doesn’t fold down to extend the cargo hold, however. There is only a ski flap.

What an engine!
When the RLX gets going, it exudes happiness thanks to its 3.5-litre V6; the same one that purrs within several Acura products. Tremendously powerful and as flexible as a 14-year old Nadia Comaneci, this engine delivers outstanding performance. It pumps out 310 horses at 6,500 rpm and 272 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500, which is more than enough to create torque effect when you accelerate and swerve from side to side. Including all-wheel drive should rectify this unpleasant situation. The variable cylinder management deactivates three cylinders when they are not needed. The six-speed automatic transmission is more discreet than in the past.

Add all these elements together and you get very low fuel consumption. Despite the wickedly cold temperatures when we tested it, I got an average of 10.7 litres per 100 kilometres. In summer, it could easily drop to 9 or 9.5 litres. Not bad for a car with 310 horsepower and weighing more than 1,800 kilograms—and that was occasionally pushed beyond the limits of reason!

Light on its feet
When you drive the RLX, you would never guess that it weighed 1,800 kilograms. This is in large part thanks to its power, but other factors include the super-solid chassis and the perfectly calibrated suspension that balances comfort with excellent road handling. Also helpful is the Precision All-Wheel Steer system that allows the rear wheels to turn in the direction of the front wheels.

I didn’t really see the point of this system when driving on ice, especially since this involved keeping speed down. However, when avoiding an obstruction on super cold but dry asphalt, I came to see the benefits. I almost got the sense that the rear section knew exactly where to go, as though a divine hand guided it on the right trajectory. I don’t know whether this system actually enhances road hold at high speeds, but one thing is for sure: it helps with safety. What is more, it contributes to a shorter turning radius.

Despite all this, driving an RLX is not particularly thrilling, mostly due to the steering, which tends to be too soft in the middle and offers poor feedback. The extremely quiet interior is also to blame. The transmission works beautifully for everyday driving but definitely doesn’t enjoy being jostled. Even in manual mode, it prefers to switch gears at its own volition. So, forget about inspired shifting.

The Acura RLX is nonetheless a heckuva car. If you want to drive a prestige vehicle without attracting too much attention, the RLX is a great choice. It should also be added to your list if you’re looking for a reliable ride, as many of its competitors (including the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Audi A6 and Cadillac CTS) have yet to master this aspect.
Old 06-21-14, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What an engine!
When the RLX gets going, it exudes happiness thanks to its 3.5-litre V6; the same one that purrs within several Acura products. Tremendously powerful and as flexible as a 14-year old Nadia Comaneci, this engine delivers outstanding performance. It pumps out 310 horses at 6,500 rpm and 272 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500,
So much for those who claim that Acura power plants are too small.
Old 06-21-14, 08:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lackluster exterior on the safe side.

Interior with good assembly and decent materials is simply premium and gives no Luxury feel to it's design.

In the end it shapes to be the worlds nicest and expensive Accord

I thought the exact same thing when looking at the interior.

Wheel design is boring and ugly too.
Old 06-21-14, 12:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

definitely not a 'stand out' in design or performance, but some interesting features. comments like this one from the review above are just stupid though:

Despite all this, driving an RLX is not particularly thrilling, mostly due to the steering, which tends to be too soft in the middle and offers poor feedback. The extremely quiet interior is also to blame.
it's not meant to be 'thrilling' and extremely quiet is a bad thing in a big fancy sedan like this?

either way, the car is a big market fail. again...
Old 06-21-14, 04:27 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

As much as Acura would like to think the RLX will compete against rear-wheel-drive German sport sedans, this new four-door compares better to the aforementioned Lexus GS, Cadillac XTS and maybe even the Audi A6. The problem, of course, is that except for the rear-drive GS, all of the other cars listed here offer an all-wheel-drive system.
Uhm, huh?
You mean this reviewer doesn't even know that the Lexus GS offers AWD? And this is somehow a credible review because... ?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
definitely not a 'stand out' in design or performance, but some interesting features. comments like this one from the review above are just stupid though:

it's not meant to be 'thrilling' and extremely quiet is a bad thing in a big fancy sedan like this?
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. See my quote from above.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
either way, the car is a big market fail. again...
Agreed. In fact, it's the biggest failure of all generations of the RL/RLX/Legend. The previous generation actually sold extremely well the first couple of years it was out in comparison to the current generation. The RLX is a flop and should be discontinued IMO the way the ZDX was discontinued. Acura simply cannot play in this upper segment. They have dragged their feet for too long and have not offered the upgrades needed to command the price point that they are trying to reach for with the RLX.

I say they should just axe the RLX, make the new TLX the flagship sedan and just focus sales on (2) entry level sedans (TLX & ILX) the way Honda does with the Accord & Civic.

Funny though, if you take a look at Acura's website right now it shows 5 different sedans available - ILX, TSX, TLX, TL, & RLX. Oh brother, talk about confusing
Old 06-21-14, 04:52 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Looked up the actual monthly sales numbers for the RLX since it's been out and wow, they really are awful:

Feb 2013: 16
Mar 2013: 336
Apr 2013: 400
May 2013: 273
Jun 2013: 499
Jul 2013: 617
Aug 2013: 459
Sep 2013: 311
Oct 2013: 830
Nov 2013: 676
Dec 2013: 597
Jan 2014: 420
Feb 2014: 371
Mar 2014: 387
Apr 2014: 353
May 2014: 324

They have never even hit 900 units/month and now down in the 300s after being on sale less than a year and a half. They sold 5,014 RLX in 2013, its first year. In comparison, the previous generation RL sold 17,572 in its first year in 2005
Times have changed, yes, and there's more competition than ever before, but Honda cannot be happy about these numbers. They're terrible. If they're already down in the 300s, where are they going to be in 2 years from now?
Old 06-21-14, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Looked up the actual monthly sales numbers for the RLX since it's been out and wow, they really are awful:
Yes, I've only seen two or three of them on the road.....even in the D.C. area, which has some of the most dense traffic in the country.

Quick Reply: Review: 2014 Acura RLX