Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese motorcycles moving into forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 03:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Japanese motorcycles moving into forced induction

Japanese motorcycles moving into forced induction

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/suzuk...photo-1604326/

While turbocharging and supercharging may be nothing new in the automotive industry, motorcycle engines are almost always naturally aspirated. But even that's beginning to change. At the Tokyo Motor Show last week, two major Japanese companies showed off new forced-induction motorbike engines.

Kawasaki rolled in with a supercharged four-cylinder motorbike engine. It offered little in the way of details, disclosing only that the turbine blades were developed in-house to withstand the heat and vibration of spooling up at motorbike speeds.

Suzuki is taking a different approach, however. Its Recursion concept bike packs a turbocharged 588cc two-cylinder engine with a turbocharger and intercooler. The compact package churns out just under 100 horsepower and 74 pound-feet of torque, packaged into a motorbike that weighs just 384 pounds dry.
Suzuki Recursion Concept:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/suzuk...photo-1586072/
Old 11-30-13, 04:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the motorcycle industry should deal with the emissions coming out first. Last time I checked (not sure if things have changed by now) small engines are not regulated by the government. I always have to turn on the recirculation when a motorcycle is in front of me. annoying as hell. The same goes for leaf blowers
/rant

Last edited by RXSF; 11-30-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-30-13, 06:14 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youre right rxsf, ive also heard/read that motorcycles put out many times more pollutants than cars. yet motorcycles are not regulated. i dont remember my bike, or any bike ive seen/ridden having a cat, which would explain a lot.

so you want emissions dealt with just because you dont like it being blown in your face? fair enough

as for turbocharging bikes, thats nothing new. people having being turbocharging (suzuki) hayabusas for a long time. and i wasnt aware of any, but i assumed that there were a stock blown bike from the factory.

thing about all that is, all itll do is increase acceleration (which im sure is what theyre looking forward to) however, motorcycles are pretty much at a stand still when it comes to top speed/etc, with the limiting factor being aerodynamics....

i mean, personally I dont need a high top speed, id much rather have a bunch of low end torque and great acceleration, i was just adding to the discussion.
Old 11-30-13, 10:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

turbo's will do the same to motorcycles as for cars - bring low end torque to small engines.
Old 11-30-13, 10:55 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
turbo's will do the same to motorcycles as for cars - bring low end torque to small engines.
lol, yes we are aware, silly
Old 12-01-13, 12:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ProperD
your post is hard to understand, you said all it would do is increase top speed and that you want low end torque.
Old 12-01-13, 07:24 AM
JM51526
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest problem with turbos on bikes is turbo lag. Annoying in a car, dangerous on a bike.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-13, 09:40 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

What's the point? Motorcycles don't have enough power? Better torque band? But don't cruiser bikes already have decent torque production? Modding potential? Marketing? WE GOTZ TURBOS! Can't be for better fuel efficiency because bikes are already pretty darned efficient. Just wondering....
Old 12-01-13, 11:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I seem to remember one manufacturer building a turbo moped or scooter in the mid-fifties. It might have been Puch, or possibly one of the early Japanese manufacturers. There was a fan, not even a centrifugal blower, located ahead of the carburetor that provided a tiny bit of boost to what I seem to remember was a two-stroke engine. It couldn't have been much, but to a 12 year-old's bike fantasies I think the maker claimed something like 9 hp output. Now that would have been pretty spectacular for a 50cc smoker motor. Today, I'd bet it was probably no more than 5 hp, considering the minimal pressure that fan probably developed in the system.

At least the idea's been around for a while, even if it might not have worked too well. In the postwar period, both Japan and Europe were looking for simple, cheap transportation, and the first guy to put a blower - even a minimal one - on a two-wheeler could capture the cheap "performance" market in the early '50's.
Old 12-01-13, 12:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
first off, you don't speak for all ('we') and second, your 'silly' comment was uncalled for. don't do that again. spwolf in particular is a long time valued contributor on CL. if you have any feedback or comments, you can report a post or pm any moderator. thank you.
Old 12-01-13, 12:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Has anyone ever supercharged one?
Old 12-01-13, 06:46 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
your post is hard to understand, you said all it would do is increase top speed and that you want low end torque.
yeah, i can understand that sometimes what i write is hard to understand.

the way i wrote it... was a mix of personal opinion (all I want is more low end I dont need more top end)

of course it would increase low end as well

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-01-13 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 07:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it is all good :-).
Old 12-01-13, 11:57 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

How much does a bike weigh? I don't think they need much low end torque.
Old 12-02-13, 02:20 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
How much does a bike weigh? I don't think they need much low end torque.
Doesn't matter. Had torque lol

It might not make sense to most people why manufacturers would go to FI but, I'd like to point out that bikes have come to a point where it doesn't make any sense to further develop the technologies that are already on there. There was a really good article explaining the technical side of things but I'll try to paraphrase. For example, when something like the gasoline engine was first developed, the technology was crude. You made little power, it cost a lot to make and it was very simple. Over time, you can further refine the technology, make it more efficient, more powerful and begin to reduce the costs of the advancements you've made in the technology. Once you get way further down the line of evolution, making incremental power gains and efficiency starts to become way harder and way more expensive. The cost to performance gains becomes completely lopsided. Motorcycles have gotten there with their crazy 15k rev limit engines and race like suspension. So, want a quick and easy to boost performance? Add a turbo. These high revving NA motors have a perfect setup to take advantage of FI. They would only have to strengthen the block + internals and increase the cooling system.