Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota launches BMW-powered Verso in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota launches BMW-powered Verso in Europe

Toyota launches BMW-powered Verso in Europe

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...#photo-180979/

VERSO FIRST TOYOTA TO USE NEW BMW-SUPPLIED 1.6-LITRE DIESEL ENGINE

KEY POINTS
- New Verso 1.6 D-4D to be launched early in 2014, the first Toyota to be equipped with a BMW-sourced engine
- Toyota Motor Europe engineers ensured seamless integration of new engine and vehicle
- Agreement to supply diesel engine is first step in a mid-to-long-term collaboration between Toyota and the BMW Group on next-generation environmentally efficient technologies
- The Verso 1.6 D-4D compact MPV will be the first Toyota be equipped with an engine supplied by the BMW Group under a contract agreed by the manufacturers two years ago.

The addition of the 111bhp/83kW engine to the range early in 2014 will increase the number of powertrains available to Verso customers in the UK to four, as detailed in the table below.
DIESEL PETROL
Engine New 1.6 D-4D 2.0 D-4D 1.6 Valvematic 1.8 Valvematic
Power (bhp/kW @ rpm) 111/83 @ 4,000 122/91 @
3,600 130/97 @
6,400 145/108 @
Torque (Nm @ rpm) 270 @ 1,750 –
2,250 310 @ 1,600 –
2,400 160 @ 4,400 180 @ 4,000
CO2 (g/km) 119 129 154 159 Didier Leroy, Senior Managing Officer of Toyota Motor Corporation, and President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe (TME), said: "At Toyota, we believe that tackling environmental challenges facing our industry will require more than one approach. Hybrid is at the core of our strategy towards sustainable mobility, but we also see a role for clean diesel in Europe.

"Working together with an industry leader like the BMW Group allows us to benefit from economies of scale to reduce development costs as well as improve our time-to-market."

The R&D team at Toyota's European technical centre in Belgium led the development of the Verso 1.6 D-4D, ensuring a seamless match between the engine and the Toyota transmission and electronics. At the same time they safeguarded the car's established ride comfort and dynamic performance. This involved the development of a number of new components, including engine mounts, a dual-mass flywheel, a newgearbox housing and gearing and a stop/start system to further improve efficiency and reduce emissions.

Production of the Verso 1.6 D-4D will begin in January 2014 at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Turkey's Adapazari plant, the centre for all Verso manufacturing.

Sourcing diesel engines is one aspect of a wider collaboration between Toyota and the BMW Group, under which the companies have announced plans to:
- Co-develop a fuel cell system
- Conduct a feasibility study for the joint development of a sports car platform
- Work together on creating lightweight vehicle body technologies
- Undertake joint research into lithium-air batteries
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/03/t...so-bmw-diesel/
Old 12-03-13, 11:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

eww not a fan of center cluster interiors

Old 12-04-13, 05:31 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wow... would love to see some Toyota vehicles stateside with BMW diesels. One can dream, right?
Old 12-04-13, 06:21 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Isn't D-4D a trademark of Toyota's direct-injection, 4-stroke, common-rail diesel technology? So they are badging this BMW engine with D-4D even though it really isn't a D-4D engine?

On a side note, Toyota really should bring the Auris and/or the Verso to the Stateside, as the Versa has proven that there's large enough a market here for a 5-door hatchback when done right.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-04-13 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-04-13, 06:30 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the engine is made by BMW. It's engine and variable valve timing system are probably run by Toyota electronics I'm guessing.
Old 12-04-13, 10:07 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I'm sure the engine is made by BMW. It's engine and variable valve timing system are probably run by Toyota electronics I'm guessing.
Doubt it. Too much re-engineering involved. Why bother? It's probably the "COTS" engine just integrated into the rest of the car (ie throttle control, telemetry, sensors, warning lights, etc)
Old 12-04-13, 10:38 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Doubt it. Too much re-engineering involved. Why bother? It's probably the "COTS" engine just integrated into the rest of the car (ie throttle control, telemetry, sensors, warning lights, etc)

I agree. I doubt that Toyota fiddled with any of the mechanical bits but they probably did tune it for this particular application in the Versa by re-programming the ECU.
Old 12-04-13, 11:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

blah, hopefully it is significantly cheaper than 2.0 D4D engine... i expected much lower CO2 from brand new BMW engine that is literally just introduced.

in any case, i expect their 2.0 to be much better than current Toyota 2.2 that has not been updated in a while probably due to this engine deal.

as to re-engineering, i am sure its ecu was tuned to this car by BMW engineers based on Toyota product manager feedback for this application... it is interesting that they are using toyota gearbox and flywheel but why not.

this deal btw is only for europe and only for toyota. Toyota will likely not update their 2.2l engines for EuroVI emissions... 2.0l engine has been significantly worked on in past few years so it seems like that engine will stay... not sure about 1.4l, that also got updates all the time.