Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ten Reasons Why Your Next Lexus Should Have All-Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 09:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Says who? This is completely wrong. Full-time is one of the ways an AWD system can be implemented. On-demand AWD system is not full-time but it's sill AWD. Where did you get your info from?

Again, there is a good link I've posted which ranks different AWD/4WD system for on-road and off-road traction: https://sites.google.com/site/awdand4wd/
There isn't really an official standard that distinguishes AWD from 4WD - its up to the manufacturer. For instance my daughters Suzuki has 4WD badge, but a full time 4wd system like this, with open diffs and no center lock would most likely be labeled AWD by most other manufacturers.
Old 12-12-13, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Says who? This is completely wrong. Full-time is one of the ways an AWD system can be implemented. On-demand AWD system is not full-time but it's sill AWD. Where did you get your info from?
The on-demand system is usually referred to as on-demand 4WD. In the sense that the auto industry, engineers, and auto press usually refer to it, AWD is a full-time system that apportions torque front/rear through a center diff. On-demand systems have a two-wheel option that true AWD lacks.

Although there are a number of different AWD systems on the market, the simplest and easiest ones to understand are probably the basic, Subaru non-turbo systems (WRX/STi models have more complex center differentials).....with the Audi Quattros being in close second. They illustrate true AWD in probably the most classic sense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-13 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 10:28 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

I wish Lexus was really paying attention and included AWD to the hybrid versions of the GS and IS

The AWD system in my Q50S hybrid has been a big help already in the early Winter weather seen this year in Chicago
Old 12-12-13, 10:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I wish Lexus was really paying attention and included AWD to the hybrid versions of the GS and IS

The AWD system in my Q50S hybrid has been a big help already in the early Winter weather seen this year in Chicago
I though GS hybrid was always AWD, with electric motors driving front wheels? I may be wrong.
Old 12-12-13, 10:41 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

The GS hybrid is RWD

Here is an excerpt from a Lexus press room communication

Driving a GS 450h, the driver will be struck by the uncanny smoothness of the powertrain. The Lexus Hybrid Drive system teams the output of an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 engine with a water-cooled permanent magnet electric motor through a planetary-type continuously variable transmission. Independently or in parallel as needed, the gas engine and electric motor drive the rear wheels. The high performance nickel-metal hydride battery pack uses a stacked design to improve trunk space, which is greater than even the gas-only models of the previous generation GS.
Old 12-12-13, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I though GS hybrid was always AWD, with electric motors driving front wheels? I may be wrong.
GS450h has never offered AWD. The LS600hL on the otherhand is standard AWD.
Old 12-12-13, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I'm not interested in discussing your feeling or opinions because I see no point. Maybe other people in this thread do and will continue the conversation with you. I'm interested in discussing objective topic of traction when it comes to RWD/FWD/AWD system. Unless you're interested in discussing objective traction then I suggest we stop this conversation
So...in one post you post this:

Besides who are you to tell me what I can and can not discuss?
Then you post this:

I'm interested in discussing objective topic of traction when it comes to RWD/FWD/AWD system. Unless you're interested in discussing objective traction then I suggest we stop this conversation
If you want to talk about a specific topic, I suggest you start your own thread. I don't see how your desired topic is the topic of this thread, the topic is why your next Lexus should have AWD.

I don't want an AWD sedan...whether it has better traction or not. I have an SUV for that. Lexus' packaging decisions made my choice for me, but had I done an 535 it would have been RWD.
Old 12-13-13, 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Guys maybe take a breath... Original post has pic of (3?)GS in snow but doesn't mention snow.
AWD or 4WD are obviously both advantages over 2 wheel drive in foul weather. But they also add weight, complexity, eat into fuel economy, add cost, etc. whether it's worth it kind of depends on where you drive, and how much you drive. There's no one size fits all.
Old 12-13-13, 05:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a good thing I haven't really had any problem with traction so I can stick to RWD or even FWD cars. I've never owned an AWD car, and while I wouldn't rule it out I just don't need it. I've never lost traction or spun a RWD car even in Mid Engine configuration so I don't see the need where I drive.
Old 12-14-13, 04:03 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I just finished a Lexus Advisory Board survey focused on AWD and based on the number of questions about AWD hybrids I believe they have finally gotten the message that they f'd up by not offering this combo in the GS and IS
Old 12-14-13, 04:15 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snow tires + RWD is better than Summer/All Season Tires + AWD. There are very few reasons to opt for AWD even if you live in a northern state.
Old 12-15-13, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
Snow tires + RWD is better than Summer/All Season Tires + AWD. There are very few reasons to opt for AWD even if you live in a northern state.
I have to disagree. AWD was developed for good reasons. Though D.C. area winters are usually not as bad as those farther north and west, we have gotten many bad winter storms and even blizzards here...often accompanied by not only snow but sleet/ice/freezing rain. My Subaru Outback, with all-season Bridgestone tires, was almost unstoppable in those conditions. No RWD I have ever driven or owned, (snow tires or not), even with traction control and snow-mode for the transmission, could come close. That Outback would eat them up. There is a reason why Subarus are the official vehicles of the U.S. Ski team.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 06:02 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to disagree. AWD was developed for good reasons. Though D.C. area winters are usually not as bad as those father north and west, we have gotten many bad winter storms and even blizzards here...often accompanied by not only snow but sleet/ice/freezing rain. My Subaru Outback, with all-season Bridgestone tires, was almost unstoppable in those conditions. No RWD I have ever driven or owned, (snow tires or not), even with traction control and snow-mode for the transmission, could come close. That Outback would eat them up. There is a reason why Subarus are the official vehicles of the U.S. Ski team.
I have all-season tires on my AWD IS, and It drives even worse than my friend's G37 coupe with snow tires in snow day. I agree that Subaru makes a great AWD system "Only BRZ isn't AWD", but majority in the industry don't. What I wanted to say was, "There are very few reasons to get an AWD when I can opt RWD from the same model. Slap on the snow tires, it makes a huge different."
Old 12-15-13, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Did you have a RWD car with winter tires to compare to your Outback in that specific situation?

One thing to bear in mind about your Outback vs a RWD sedan for instance is ground clearance. The 2013 model has 8.7 inches of ground clearance (no idea what year yours is/was). For comparison, a RWD GS has 5.7 inches of ground clearance. My Jeep has 8.6" of ground clearance, and a Lexus GX has 8.1 inches of ground clearance. So, the Outback has slightly more ground clearance than the Jeep, 1/2 inch more than the GX, and 3 inches more than a GS.

That 3 inches makes a HUGE difference when driving in deep snow, so thats like me saying that my 4WD Jeep on all seasons out performed a RWD car on winter tires. Well...of course.

Put two identical or similar sedans, one with RWD and winter tires, and one with AWD and all season tires in the same situation and see what comes out on top. My money is on the RWD car with winter tires.
Old 12-15-13, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Did you have a RWD car with winter tires to compare to your Outback in that specific situation?
Yes, but not necesarily at the same time. I've owned many cars, with a number of different configurations, in my lifetime.

One thing to bear in mind about your Outback vs a RWD sedan for instance is ground clearance. The 2013 model has 8.7 inches of ground clearance (no idea what year yours is/was). For comparison, a RWD GS has 5.7 inches of ground clearance. My Jeep has 8.6" of ground clearance, and a Lexus GX has 8.1 inches of ground clearance. So, the Outback has slightly more ground clearance than the Jeep, 1/2 inch more than the GX, and 3 inches more than a GS.

That 3 inches makes a HUGE difference when driving in deep snow, so thats like me saying that my 4WD Jeep on all seasons out performed a RWD car on winter tires. Well...of course.
Agreed that putting a vehicle on stilts helps, but that alone doesn't explain the difference.

Put two identical or similar sedans, one with RWD and winter tires, and one with AWD and all season tires in the same situation and see what comes out on top. My money is on the RWD car with winter tires.

On a relatively low-clearance AWD car (Lexus IS, BMW 3-series, Toyota Matrix, etc.....) with low profile, summer-only, dry-pavement performance tires, I might (?) agree with you....there are better AWD combinations for winter traction. But, with most other AWD set-ups, you'd probably lose the bet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-13 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Ten Reasons Why Your Next Lexus Should Have All-Wheel Drive