Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 04:41 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow... looks HOT in white!!!
Old 01-27-14, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Domestics fanboys have been trolling and hating. Saying its a ugly knock off of the Corvette & Viper.
It doesn't look like anything to me? Seems pretty original.

Originally Posted by kbb
I think someone said it jokingly but I think the name should 'evolve' like the car.....from Supra to SUPERB. Might sound cheesy but imagine it on a chrome plate on the trunk in thick, slanted letters.
I like that!

Old 01-27-14, 06:44 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
I think someone said it jokingly but I think the name should 'evolve' like the car.....from Supra to SUPERB. Might sound cheesy but imagine it on a chrome plate on the trunk in thick, slanted letters.
The Superb dates back to 1934.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Superb

As for the name of the new Toyota I think it should depend on how Toyota positions this car. If it's meant to be a halo supercar as the exotic-looking FT-1 suggests then it should receive a unique name like the Ferraris and Lamborghinis do, but if it's meant to be a mass-market sports car like the past Supras were then it should continue to assume that name.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-27-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 10:34 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

whatever sports car Toyota and/or BMW come up with can't possibly live up to that.

This reminds me of the Chevy Volt Concept. A beautiful car with a ton of people signed up on the waiting list, including me, then the production version came out...what a turd!

I hope people aren't too disappointed with whatever Toyota comes up with for the next Supra, I can't imagine anything living up to this beatiful concept.

Volt I dreamed about:

Volt we got:

Last edited by toy4two; 01-27-14 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 11:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I love the way this thing looks. Looks like a Viper and the LFA crossed. I cant believe that anyone would have a negative thing to say about the body of this car
Old 01-28-14, 07:53 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
whatever sports car Toyota and/or BMW come up with can't possibly live up to that.

This reminds me of the Chevy Volt Concept. A beautiful car with a ton of people signed up on the waiting list, including me, then the production version came out...what a turd!

I hope people aren't too disappointed with whatever Toyota comes up with for the next Supra, I can't imagine anything living up to this beatiful concept.

Volt I dreamed about:

Volt we got:
To each their own, but I think Toyota has done a great job bringing their sports concepts to production.

Lets recall how the MK4 concept looks.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 03:15 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota Le Mans Racer Could Inspire Hybrid Sports Car

Kinda FT-1 related

Is Toyota planning a new hybrid sports car? According to the man in charge of the automaker’s hybrid racing plans, it would seem so.

“My ultimate goal for the near future is to develop a hybrid sports car using technology accumulated through this project,” said Hisitake Murata, speaking in a video interview posted on the Toyota UK blog. Murata is the General Manager of the Racing Hybrid Project and the man responsible for the Toyota’s Le Mans prototype race cars.

“Our technologies are shared with the whole of Toyota Motor Company,” he continues, before envisioning a future Toyota sports car. “If we made a conventional sports car we could apply a super capacitor system or combine a super capacitor system and hybrid battery to achieve a similar braking performance,” he says.

Is this what is to live under the hood of the FT-1 production vehicle? That seems unlikely as previous reports stated that the Supra successor would be gas-powered.

While powertrain details provided on the FT-1 concept were slim, Toyota did go out of its way to comment that it envisions the mysterious powerplant to be a high-tech internal-combustion engine.

But trying to keep Toyota away from hybrid technology seems to be as hard as fighting gravity. The Japanese automaker has previously shown a high-powered hybrid drivetrain in the heart of the tiny Yaris, while a collaboration with BMW promises that a hybrid-powered sports car is on the way.

There’s the possibility that the folks behind the GT86 (also known as the Scion FR-S) are toying with the idea of a KERS style mild-hybrid with regenerative brakes to provide an extra boost of power.

The reports are all over the map, but one thing is for sure – a hybrid powered sports car from Toyota is on the minds of many at the company. And with hybrid powered competitors like the Acura NSX and the likely gas-electric Nissan GT-R on the horizon, can a hybrid super sports car from Toyota be far off?
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ports-car.html
Old 01-31-14, 12:35 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

New video

Old 02-03-14, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Someone sent me this today…oh snap!

Old 02-03-14, 01:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Supra name without a doubt in my mind and if it can be priced against a Vette $50-60K, it will be competitive.
Old 02-03-14, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Uh.. not sure to be offended or flattered..

Old 02-03-14, 06:52 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Your private backyard ? ;-)
Old 02-03-14, 07:54 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Uh.. not sure to be offended or flattered..

Funny how the shadow remains to be that of an IS.
Old 02-07-14, 05:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Confirmed: Toyota FT-1 is next Supra

Radical coupe concept to morph into a born-again Supra; Toyota also developing sub-86 hybrid sports car

One of the hottest concepts unveiled at last month’s Detroit motor show was Toyota’s FT-1. No one will argue that point. What is controversial is how much meaning this radically styled coupe has in the real world.

While Toyota heads were saying the car was merely a concept conceived to celebrate the Calty design studio’s 40th anniversary as well as pay tribute to Polyphony Digital’s ‘Vision Gran Turismo’ project, major publications were purporting the FT-1 to be the next-generation Supra.

Now we have the definitive verdict: It is. But there is another sports car in the mix as well. After a mandate from Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda calling for “cars that touch the heart”, a source close to Toyota has confirmed the company is busy developing not only the FT-1 as the next Supra, but a smaller sports car too.

“Priced at around $16,000 (in the US), this entry-level sports coupe will slot into the line-up under the successful 86,” says our insider.

Developed within a new sports car division headed up by none other than 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, our source says these two next-generation coupes will form the base for a whole range of sports cars set to start joining the line-up from 2016.

Word from Toyoda went something like this. “If the FT-1 makes a good strong impression on the market, then we will add it to the line-up.”

We think Toyota knew this car was going to be a smash hit, because from what we are hearing it’s already well into the development phase. But don’t expect the finished product to land in showrooms looking like this. Our source says those sharp lines, scoops and edges will definitely be “softened” for the market.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen an aggressively styled coupe boasting some of Toyota’s best hybrid hardware. The FT-HS concept coupe received rave reviews when it was unveiled in Detroit in 2007.

But the global financial crisis soon put this project on the back-burner, as car-makers were forced to tighten their belts. Now in 2014, Toyota is back with even raunchier styling and two powertrains.

The entry-level variant is expected to incorporate a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol-four from the upcoming Lexus NX, while the flagship will employ a 2.5-litre turbo V6 hybrid powertrain generating more than 300kW.

Obviously the new Supra will be rear-wheel drive but it is also strongly rumoured to employ an LFA-style rear transaxle, meaning the new Supra could sell for less than $100,000 when it appears in showrooms as early as 2016.

Meanwhile, the smaller sports coupe said to slot in under the 86 should be powered by a 1.5-litre hybrid set-up and is set for a 2017 debut.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/spor...xt-supra-41509
Old 02-07-14, 07:43 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

The entry-level variant is expected to incorporate a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol-four from the upcoming Lexus NX, while the flagship will employ a 2.5-litre turbo V6 hybrid powertrain generating more than 300kW. .
Thanks for posting this latest info, Vh

As I suspected....2 power levels, with the top one being hybrid. Excited if they go with a turbo 2.5L V6 (although I prefer an I6)...always thought that would be nice a nice setup in an IS.

Obviously the new Supra will be rear-wheel drive but it is also strongly rumoured to employ an LFA-style rear transaxle, meaning the new Supra could sell for less than $100,000 when it appears in showrooms as early as 2016.]
Gee, what a bargain! lol
I'm sure this is way off of what it will actually be priced at. As I whined about in another thread, they better shoot for a starting price of $35-40k if they want to sell these long-term.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1