Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 08:23 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I wouldn't throw a i4 turbo out the window just yet.. There will be a market for both types.. 4cyl turbo and V6 TT etc... with todays economy and gas prices why wouldn't Toyota make a hybrid and a 4cyl turbo? Makes sense from a business standpoint don't you think..
but if they do go with an I4 turbo than it would have to make at least 300-350hp in order to keep up with the mustang and Z.

i also wouldn't throw a V6 hybrid out for a base model. that was previewed by the FT-HS concept and had around 400hp+. from what i understand that is a beef up version of the GS450h's 2GR-FXE. or they could also work so magical on the RC300h's 2AR-FSE for the base model. Toyota has also been toying around with the idea of hybrid sports cars, so i dont think a hybrid V6 is out of the question.

Last edited by gymratter; 02-21-14 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 10:48 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Its in plain English. The man doesn't want a 4 cylinder Supra. He was quoted by CarAdvice

Again Peter reported that the FT-1 has been green lighted. He has been right more than once. Back in 2010 he was the 1st one to report that a V8 hybrid LC was in works to replace the SC430.

http://wot.motortrend.com/lexus-work...ment-9697.html

The whole FT-1/New Supra started out as a "rumor". Guess what? Sometimes rumors come true

I don't understand what you have against UK and AUS auto media? Top Gear UK reported in 2012 that Tada san was working on a larger coupe to sit above the 86/FR-S. Guess what? That report turned out to be true.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/toy...aki-2012-08-24

Lol get your facts checked. The NA MK4 did not out sale the TT model...

Where did I say they confirmed a $60k 500hp twin turbo V6 Supra?

Just because someone opinion isn't the same as your opinion, doesn't make them wrong or their view lesser than yours.
Originally Posted by gymratter

what is fact is the 2015 86/frs will receive a power boost. how much more power we dont know yet. either way it is common sense to see that the new power boost will be near that of the new 2.0t unit.

also where are you getting the whole new Supra with the 2.0t from? where did Toyota even said that? please stop posting your opinion as fact.

its funny because in the old "new Supra" thread you didn't even think they were going to make a new Supra. but now we have a concept and you claim its going to be this and that. give it a rest already. you are just as clueless as everyone else on this thread.
I wouldn't trust his credibility anyway on that front, as he similarly accused me of being invalid when I pointed out test mules with RAV4 panels in 2012 were the future Lexus compact CUV (NX trademarks were filed months later). He disputed those as the '13 RAV4 merely being benchmarked against luxury competitors and was so insistent deriding any belief that it was a Lexus in disguise.

Months to a year later, it turned out I was 100% right and his "fact" was highly invalid. The Fast Lane caught the same test mule with a Lexus steering wheel in October 2013.

As a result, I'd rather listen to more reliable Toyota/Lexus "insiders" regarding this future Supra and will merely dismiss that as "fact". I do agree with the viewpoint that journalists'/bloggers' speculations should be taken with a grain of salt, as I've seen many falsehoods on future JLR models and know firsthand the actual facts about each in development. Let their record speak for them, as if someone's speculations lineup with actualities, then I'd trust their viewpoint more.
Old 02-21-14, 11:01 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not actually too opposed to a 4 cylinder turbo base model. But at the same time it will need to have a good amount of power. This isn't the 90s anymore. Zs and Mustangs are making 300hp+. If priced at that range ($35k) it will have to make around the same amount of power; if not, just a little more.

Originally Posted by cmk1
I wouldn't trust his credibility anyway on that front, as he similarly accused me of being invalid when I pointed out test mules with RAV4 panels in 2012 were the future Lexus compact CUV (NX trademarks were filed months later). He disputed those as the '13 RAV4 merely being benchmarked against luxury competitors and was so insistent deriding any belief that it was a Lexus in disguise.

Months to a year later, it turned out I was 100% right and his "fact" was highly invalid. The Fast Lane caught the same test mule with a Lexus steering wheel in October 2013.

As a result, I'd rather listen to more reliable Toyota/Lexus "insiders" regarding this future Supra and will merely dismiss that as "fact". I do agree with the viewpoint that journalists'/bloggers' speculations should be taken with a grain of salt, as I've seen many falsehoods on future JLR models and know firsthand the actual facts about each in development. Let their record speak for them, as if someone's speculations lineup with actualities, then I'd trust their viewpoint more.
Yeah, I remember that NX thread as well.

Thank you, I'm just tired of people pretending to know this and that. And if you do not agreed with them than your opinion and point of view is wrong.

Agreed, bloggers will speculated a lot of times.

I already replied to spwolf many times, Toyota did not officially confirmed FT-1 for production. But rather Peter Lyon reported that a Toyota insider has leaked info stating that FT-1 is under development with a production date of 2016. He has been right about both the LF-LC and (FT-HS/FT-1/New Supra.)

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 11:11 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to "graduate" into this when it comes out.

whatever engine it's got in it.
Old 02-21-14, 11:33 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, I remember that NX thread as well.

Thank you, I'm just tired of people pretending to know this and that. And if you do not agreed with them than your opinion and point of view is wrong.

Agreed, bloggers will speculated a lot of times.

I already replied to spwolf many times, Toyota did not officially confirmed FT-1 for production. But rather Peter Lyon reported that a Toyota insider has leaked info stating that FT-1 is under development with a production date of 2016. He has been right about both the LF-LC and (FT-HS/FT-1/New Supra.)
Thank you, as both you and Hoovey do a very excellent job in this section with new Lexus information. I trust Lyon in that case, as his record speaks well for him. Also, Auto Express(UK firm) even unveiled the LS460 design in 2005(over 1 year early), so I have to wonder how our journalists so not credible.

I trust your credibility greatly, as I'm not particularly in the "know" at Toyota (unlike JLR) and always gather some new info from you. I just discovered that the LFA was developed under "821L" code, meaning that the production LF-LC "777L" project code is highly valid. Looking at these codes, you can see how they randomly interchange and are untraceable.

This explains why unlike Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz, how Toyota/Lexus can get away with development secrecy much easier (no use of chassis codes like D5, W222, C217, or G11).
Old 02-21-14, 11:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you, as both you and Hoovey do a very excellent job in this section with new Lexus information. I trust Lyon in that case, as his record speaks well for him. Also, Auto Express(UK firm) even unveiled the LS460 design in 2005(over 1 year early), so I have to wonder how our journalists so not credible.

I trust your credibility greatly, as I'm not particularly in the "know" at Toyota (unlike JLR) and always gather some new info from you. I just discovered that the LFA was developed under "821L" code, meaning that the production LF-LC "777L" project code is highly valid. Looking at these codes, you can see how they randomly interchange and are untraceable.

This explains why unlike Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz, how Toyota/Lexus can get away with development secrecy much easier (no use of chassis codes like D5, W222, C217, or G11).
NP

I just get bored at home so posting car news helps past the time lol. I never claimed to be an expert or insider. I just think it is fun to explore every possible drivetrain for FT-1.

Man I can't wait for the LF-LC. If the price stays below $100k than I have a few family members that maybe interested in purchasing one. That means I would get to borrow it from time time
Old 02-21-14, 12:46 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

lol you would think after that he would stop going around and run his mouth like he knows everything damn thing Toyota has planned.

did he ever apologize to you or at least admit he was wrong? just wondering.

i wonder what spwolf will claim next? 2.0t for the LC lol
Old 02-21-14, 06:46 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 02-21-14, 06:54 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

this is my new desktop at work lol
Old 02-21-14, 06:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

um can you say wallpaper..
Old 02-22-14, 05:56 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

TBH I think everyone is wrong

look at the clues. FT1s hood is way longer than FTHS w/3.5 v6.

my guess would be the v8 from the RC or BMWs I6.

comparison photo not to scale but its obvious the FT1 has a longer hood
Old 02-22-14, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Guys let's remember it is a styling exercise first. The entire purpose was to show a car and remember it's bigger than a possible actual production car. So looking at pics and trying to figure out what engines fit is simply not accurate.

If I remember right amazingly the LFA V-10 was the size of a V-8 with the weight of a V-6 ( or was it vice versa) as the LFA is the size of a 911, it's very small.

Old 02-22-14, 07:28 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
Guys let's remember it is a styling exercise first. The entire purpose was to show a car and remember it's bigger than a possible actual production car. So looking at pics and trying to figure out what engines fit is simply not accurate.

If I remember right amazingly the LFA V-10 was the size of a V-8 with the weight of a V-6 ( or was it vice versa) as the LFA is the size of a 911, it's very small.
correct the concept itself is 10% larger than what a production version will be.

however, the specs from GT6 is still has the FT1 as a larger car than the FTHS.

FT1
Wheelbase: 107.9 in
Length: 184.1 in
Width: 77.6 in
Height: 48.2 in

FTHS
Wheelbase: 104.33 in
Length: 170.27 in
Width: 73.23 in
Height: 50.79 in
Old 02-22-14, 07:35 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

when compared to the Lexus RC, coincidence? i dont think so.

FT1
Wheelbase: 107.9 in
Length: 184.1 in
Width: 77.6 in
Height: 48.2 in

Lexus RC
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 184.8 in

Width: 72.4 in
Height: 54.9 in
Old 02-22-14, 07:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

There should be two versions:

1. 3.5L V6 twincharger - over 420 hp
2. 5.0L V8 twin-turbo - over 550 hp

So you got something on the lines competing against the Corvette Stingray, Nissan GTR and Porsche 991 Carrera S X51 out of the box. It be a miracle if the car could be like 3100 pounds and not like 3800 pounds. Plus do 0-62 in under 3.9 seconds. I know it is more or less a pipe dream, but hey anything can happen.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-22-14 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1