Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 02:59 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nope. BMW-sourced block to keep development costs down and remain consistent with Supra heritage.

I have about zero interest in a Toyota Supra having a BMW heart, but whatever...
Makes no sense. Why would I then buy a Toyota with BMW engine over a BMW with BMW engine?

BMW I6 is no match to the so old 2JZ.

If true I hope Toyota will price the car so low that nobody would be willing to spend more on BMW badge when they can get BMW tech for Toyota price.
Old 01-15-15, 03:39 PM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nope. BMW-sourced block to keep development costs down and remain consistent with Supra heritage.

I have about zero interest in a Toyota Supra having a BMW heart, but whatever...
I hope this is not what they do. But if they do even though the Supra name would awesome and the inline 6 motor is the Supra heritage, I would rather Toyota give this car another name.

I wouldn't mind a Supra with a Toyota in house V6 TT or the V8 2UR-GSE if a new inline 6 cannot be produced due to costs. Don't really need BMW guru's saying the next Supra is what it is because it has a BMW engine in it.
Old 01-15-15, 04:02 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

If they go with BMW I6, the only thing I'm going to say is, Shelby GT350.
Old 01-16-15, 09:43 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Finally, I think it is ok for Toyota to use BMW S55 engine, if they only uses the crankcase (see picture) and all the rest (forged pistons, forged crankshaft, forged piston rods, cylinder head, turbo, exhaust manifold and exhaust, oil sump, etc.) are all designed by Toyota, and the engine has dry sump and sits lower in the chassis, revs higher and is more responsive than the BMW engine, makes more power and is more reliable and is connected to a transaxle gearbox.

If Toyota wants to use a BMW engine they have to rebuild it so that it should be better than any BMW I6 ever, and should ridicule BMW's I6.
Old 01-16-15, 11:53 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Levi68
Finally, I think it is ok for Toyota to use BMW S55 engine, if they only uses the crankcase (see picture) and all the rest (forged pistons, forged crankshaft, forged piston rods, cylinder head, turbo, exhaust manifold and exhaust, oil sump, etc.) are all designed by Toyota, and the engine has dry sump and sits lower in the chassis, revs higher and is more responsive than the BMW engine, makes more power and is more reliable and is connected to a transaxle gearbox.

If Toyota wants to use a BMW engine they have to rebuild it so that it should be better than any BMW I6 ever, and should ridicule BMW's I6.
something like this could end up happening no? the press release did say both companies would co develop a new platform together.
Old 01-16-15, 12:36 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gymratter
something like this could end up happening no? the press release did say both companies would co develop a new platform together.
The platform yes, but what about the engine? And know how "cheap" and "cost-cutting" BMW engineering is, I'm afraid the CF chassis will not be able to accommodate transaxle transmission and mid-front engine placement, both - especially transaxle gearbox - the most important features of front engine sports cars.
Old 01-17-15, 12:27 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This booth at the auto show had as many people as the NSX and Ford GT, car looks simply amazing, why it is not to market yet I don't know...
Old 01-17-15, 12:58 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
This booth at the auto show had as many people as the NSX and Ford GT, car looks simply amazing, why it is not to market yet I don't know...
That's why the production version must not be too watered down or it will be a total letdown. Just make it a GTR fighter and call it a day. Will put everyone on notice...including Lexus. Wishful thinking...
Old 01-17-15, 01:35 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by obturator
That's why the production version must not be too watered down or it will be a total letdown. Just make it a GTR fighter and call it a day. Will put everyone on notice...including Lexus. Wishful thinking...
Agree. Because they have conflict of interest, that's why they can't make a Toyota better than a Lexus. They should ditch that thinking. Like Engineers over at GM, if Camaro Z28 beats C6 Corvette ZR1, it's Corvette's problem, not GM's.
Old 01-17-15, 01:38 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Agree. Because they have conflict of interest, that's why they can't make a Toyota better than a Lexus. They should ditch that thinking. Like Engineers over at GM, if Camaro Z28 beats C6 Corvette ZR1, it's Corvette's problem, not GM's.
Or Nissan and Infiniti
Old 01-17-15, 06:51 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
sorry i dont agreed with that. the MKIV Supra was a faster and better looking car than the SC300/400 IMO.

its also worth noting that MotorTrend has said Toyota is aiming for the GT6 specs. i think it was like 485hp and 3,000 lbs?
Old 01-17-15, 07:10 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I probably missed it somewhere in all these threads but why is BMW even involved with this? doesn't make any sense
Old 01-17-15, 07:19 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I probably missed it somewhere in all these threads but why is BMW even involved with this? doesn't make any sense
Well so far its just a rumored, it has not been officially confirmed by BMW or Toyota.

But here are some of the reasons I have heard people saying:

1. Split development cost of the new Supra and new "Z5".
2. Retain the Supra's I6 by using BMW's motor.
3. Some believe Toyota wants carbon fiber on this car and it would be cheaper to partner up with BMW to achieve this.

At the the 2:40 mark Kevin Hunter does mention 2000GT, Supra, and straight six.

Edit: I could have swore I recall KH saying something like this in one of the interviews: "Toyota no longer makes a straight six, the only automaker that still does is BMW". Than again, I wouldn't be surprise if Toyota asked them to edited that part out later.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-17-15 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 07:29 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

seems like the better option would have Toyota partner up with Lexus instead of BMW imo
Old 01-17-15, 10:02 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gymratter

sorry i dont agreed with that. the MKIV Supra was a faster and better looking car than thae SC300/400 IMO.

its also worth noting that MotorTrend has said Toyota is aiming for the GT6 specs. i think it was like 485hp and 3,000 lbs?
When was that? When Toyota had MR-2, Celica, Supra, and even real Camry?

I personally agree that Supra mk4 was a better looking car, but aesthetics is a subjective topic and SC interior was a mile better in term of quality.

I would love that spec for 60k, but I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1