Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 06:09 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I personally agree that Supra mk4 was a better looking car, but aesthetics is a subjective topic and SC interior was a mile better in term of quality.
What is your definition of quality? If you mean comfort and plush interior than the SC wins. But if you are talking about build and longevity than it goes to the MkIV.

I have owned two SC300 and a 93 Supra. My Supra with nearly 300k on it still looks pretty good; no tears and rips or broken plastic pieces. Both of the SCs were only around 120k, and IMO the interior of both did not hold up that well at all they were super comfortable tho.
Old 01-18-15, 06:16 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
What is your definition of quality? If you mean comfort and plush interior than the SC wins. But if you are talking about build and longevity than it goes to the MkIV.

I have owned two SC300 and a 93 Supra. My Supra with nearly 300k on it still looks pretty good; no tears and rips or broken plastic pieces. Both of the SCs were only around 120k, and IMO the interior of both did not hold up that well at all they were super comfortable tho.
Both longevity and comfort. I've owned 95 SC300, still looked and felt nice after all the years. Luxury buys tend to be less enthusiastic about their cars and having it well kept. Not saying all the luxury buyers, but most of them.
Old 01-18-15, 06:28 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Both longevity and comfort. I've owned 95 SC300, still looked and felt nice after all the years. Luxury buys tend to be less enthusiastic about their cars and having it well kept. Not saying all the luxury buyers, but most of them.
I also think it has to do with climate. You're from WA; its pretty cool up there no?

All of my cars are from the South (TX, LA, FL) where it gets like 100+ degrees. A lot of the used SCs down here have their interior redone. With that said my SCs and Supra were left outside (no garage ), and over the years my Supra has held up better.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-18-15 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 07:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I probably missed it somewhere in all these threads but why is BMW even involved with this? doesn't make any sense
Very simple - Toyota is a greedy company that makes BILLIONS of dollars in Profits yet its too cheap to develop one of the only true performance cars it ever made.

So using BMW they might save a few billion in R&D costs maybe less - really chump change for them in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-18-15, 07:06 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I also think it has to do with climate. You're from WA; its pretty cool up there no?

All of my cars are from the South (TX, LA, FL) where it gets like 100+ degrees. A lot of the used SCs down here have their interior redone. With that said my SCs and Supra were left outside (no garage ), and over the years my Supra has held up better.
In cold, you gotta give your leather some conditioner to keep it well. I live in apartment, and I have to keep my car outside as well. All Lexuses I own are excellent. Let's see how well my 15 WRX hold up over the years.
Old 01-18-15, 07:11 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

In cold, you gotta give your leather some conditioner to keep it well. I live in apartment, and I have to keep my car outside as well. All Lexuses I own are excellent. Let's see how well my 15 WRX hold up over the years.
Right, you have to take care of it. But down here where it gets like 110-120 inside of your car during the summer I don't think its going to do much at all
Old 01-18-15, 07:51 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Right, you have to take care of it. But down here where it gets like 110-120 inside of your car during the summer I don't think its going to do much at all
We get 100 here as well in Summer. Northwest is definitely not like the East coast.
Old 01-18-15, 07:58 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

That aside. I only hope they make the Supra, but it seems very quiet on their end.
Old 01-18-15, 08:02 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

When was that? When Toyota had MR-2, Celica, Supra, and even real Camry?

I personally agree that Supra mk4 was a better looking car, but aesthetics is a subjective topic and SC interior was a mile better in term of quality.

I would love that spec for 60k, but I don't think so.
right that was years and years ago. but history could repeat itself.

right now the rumors are saying FT1 and its BMW counterpart will get a carbon fiber chassis. if true, thats way better than the RCF chassis IMO.

well so far MT has been spot on about FT1, so i remind hopeful.

SC's interior is pretty comfort. alot of the ones around the houston area are pretty trashed out :/

anyways back on topic, so what you are saying is the SC's interior will only last if you take care of it? were as another member with a Supra is saying its interior can be daily used and abuse and it will still hold up very well.
Old 01-18-15, 08:47 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gymratter
right that was years and years ago. but history could repeat itself.

right now the rumors are saying FT1 and its BMW counterpart will get a carbon fiber chassis. if true, thats way better than the RCF chassis IMO.

well so far MT has been spot on about FT1, so i remind hopeful.

SC's interior is pretty comfort. alot of the ones around the houston area are pretty trashed out :/

anyways back on topic, so what you are saying is the SC's interior will only last if you take care of it? were as another member with a Supra is saying its interior can be daily used and abuse and it will still hold up very well.
That's not what I'm saying; I said I always take care of every car I own. Other owners might trash their interior so bad it wouldn't last that long. I have a mixed of Japanese branded cars, Lexus is always noticeably better when I have them the same routine treatment.
If someone try hard enough, he can't tear any interior apart. I've seen a lot of trashed cars around here... Most of them are domestics and Germans. :/
Old 01-19-15, 05:29 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

That's not what I'm saying; I said I always take care of every car I own. Other owners might trash their interior so bad it wouldn't last that long. I have a mixed of Japanese branded cars, Lexus is always noticeably better when I have them the same routine treatment.
If someone try hard enough, he can't tear any interior apart. I've seen a lot of trashed cars around here... Most of them are domestics and Germans. :/
right, i do agree with a lot of your post.

the only thing that gets me is how can you say that the build quality of the SC is better than the Supra. wouldn't one have to own both cars to have non bias opinion?
Old 01-19-15, 08:07 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

right, i do agree with a lot of your post.

the only thing that gets me is how can you say that the build quality of the SC is better than the Supra. wouldn't one have to own both cars to have non bias opinion?
Of course. My opinion may be more biased to SC because I owned it for awhile. Though I could see Supra interior being the same in term of longevity, not better. They were available in Japan as Toyota, and base Soarer was more expensive than base Supra.
Old 01-19-15, 08:11 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Of course. My opinion may be more biased to SC because I owned it for awhile. Though I could see Supra interior being the same in term of longevity, not better. They were available in Japan as Toyota, and base Soarer was more expensive than base Supra.
right, the Soarer has been around in japan 2 gens prior to the SC300/400.

just because something is more expensive doesnt mean its better

anywho, i feel that we maybe getting off topic regarding FT1.
Old 01-19-15, 08:14 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

right, the Soarer has been around in japan 2 gens prior to the SC300/400.

just because something is more expensive doesnt mean its better

anywho, i feel that we maybe getting off topic regarding FT1.
That's debatable, but I agree more expensive is not always better. I've been in my friend's Supra for several times before he traded it in for E92 M3.

Yeah, should go back to the topic, but we have nothing to talk about because there is nothing about FT1. We only keep talking about the same stuff now.
Old 01-20-15, 10:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

That aside. I only hope they make the Supra, but it seems very quiet on their end.
What is believed to be an early test mule for the BMW Z5 has been spotted testing.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/myst...-platform.104/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-return-2.html

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1