Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 06:12 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Round of Spied Shots

TOYOTA’S much-loved – and greatly missed – Supra is poised make a triumphant return.

A new technological tie-up between Japan’s largest automaker and German luxury marque BMW is producing the mechanical bits to make Toyota’s next-gen sports car a reality.

Our spies have spotted a prototype undergoing street trials in Europe, where much of the technical development for the new Supra – and its BMW Z5 cousin – is taking place. Swirly camouflage shrouds most of the finer details and the makeshift headlight and tail-lamp clusters aren’t representative of the final product – but there are still plenty of discernable details.

While the Supra’s styling is expected to be distinct from its BMW-badged cousin, there are some key similarities. Compared with the BMW Z5 prototype also spied recently, the Supra ditches the Bimmer’s kidney grille in favour of a sloping snout that recalls the 1990s-era fourth-generation Supra, while the all-metal turret is entirely different from the folding fabric soft top of the Z5.

The Supra’s rear is reminiscent of the Toyota FT-1 concept’s rump , with a ducktail spoiler and wide haunches framing a pronounced (and presumably functional) rear diffuser. The upturned window line and double-bubble roof of the FT-1 also appear to make the transition from showpiece to showroom, but the concept’s wild scoops and vents sadly won’t.

The next-gen Supra will also drop the practical liftback bodystyle of the original. A conventional bootlid and a fixed rear windscreen both support this.

But while the nose, top and tail are Toyota-specific, the midsection reveals the Supra’s German DNA. The bonnet cutline aft of the front wheel well is identical between the Toyota and BMW, as are the wing mirrors, doorhandles and wheelbase. The door shutlines are different, however, a tell-tale sign that this car is not simply a hardtop derivative of the BMW Z5.

What’s under the bonnet remains a mystery. A BMW-sourced turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six is the most likely candidate, with potential output ranging from the 240kW/450Nm of the BMW 440i to the 331kW/550Nm of the BMW M4.

Other rumours hint that Toyota will turn to a plug-in hybrid setup for its Toyota Supra redux, with 50km of EV-only range and over 300kW of power when the petrol engine and electric motors are working in concert. We’ll likely find out which rumour is on the money in 2017, when the all-new BMW-based Toyota Supra is expected to have its first showing.
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/16...upra-spy-pics/

Old 09-20-16, 10:56 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default 2018-2019 Toyota Supra (MKV) Spotted at BMW M Test Center Nurburgring

We're happy to bring you the first video of the 2018/2019 Toyota Supra prototype! It was spotted leaving and entering the BMW M Test Center at the Nurburgring, which is no surprise considering the Supra is being co-developed and shares a platform with the upcoming BMW Z5.

Last edited by gymratter; 09-25-16 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 05:56 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^^It could be the new BMW Z5 maybe the motor will be same as supposed new Supra.
Old 09-21-16, 08:59 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Just ran across this new render.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/deca...prototype.362/

Updated render, the doors are now more inline with the spy shots. Lowered the hood and fenders.

Two new renders with updated elements from the face lift 86.

Last edited by gymratter; 10-05-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 08:44 PM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I can appreciate the simplicity design. That doesn't look bad. It's a combination of the GT86 and the FT1. I almost want to say that it looks a little too plain though.... Which is saying something considering how basic and timeless the MKIV is.
Old 09-26-16, 09:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I just can't get excited about this car looking at that camo car with those proportions, being based on a BMW Z5, or the engines that it is rumored to get a 4cyl, tt V6, or something based off of a BMW inline 6 that won't be anything like the indestructible highly tunable last Supra Turbo inline 6. The last Supra was a higher performance and nicer then the Corvette in every way, I don't think the new one will be as nice as the current Corvette in really any way from what I am seeing and hearing.
Old 09-27-16, 07:43 AM
RachelM
Driver School Candidate

One I've seen from here https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/could...a-2017?76542rh

A bit different but think I like it! Sharp, harsh front end is a nice touch.
Old 09-27-16, 05:40 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
I just can't get excited about this car looking at that camo car with those proportions, being based on a BMW Z5, or the engines that it is rumored to get a 4cyl, tt V6, or something based off of a BMW inline 6 that won't be anything like the indestructible highly tunable last Supra Turbo inline 6. The last Supra was a higher performance and nicer then the Corvette in every way, I don't think the new one will be as nice as the current Corvette in really any way from what I am seeing and hearing.
The overall size seems to be inline with the concept.

Old 10-04-16, 12:13 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default New Toyota Supra Rendering Based on Insider Info

The new Toyota Supra. Not since the C7 Chevrolet Corvette has there been a sports car enthusiasts have been more excited to see uncovered. And like the C7 Corvette, we think we can show you before anyone else what it’ll look like.

What you’re looking at is, to the best of our knowledge, the most accurate rendition of the new Supra to date. But it wasn’t easy to get.

As with the C7, a source provided Jalopnik with inside information that Toyota certainly would not have wanted us to get. Using that, along with recent spy photos and videos, we’ve been able to construct what we believe is a realistic representation of what the car will look like when it goes on sale. (Obviously we took artistic license with a handful of details, like the headlights and wheels, but the rest of it is spot on with what we got.)

Toyota, of course, declined to comment. It’s much more difficult to get confirmation of this kind of thing as automakers post-C7 have been harder to break, and Toyota and its suppliers, in particular, have kept their lips sealed.

So what are we looking at here, exactly? It’s a brawny coupe with traditional sports car proportions—long hood, low roofline—that clearly takes cues from the wildly popular Toyota FT-1 concept that debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in 2014. It’s just toned down for production, as these things usually are. But the scalloped roof, windows, arching rear fenders and almost airplane-like nose cone are clear homages to that design.

(It also reminds me quite a bit of the Toyota FT-HS concept from 2007, which a lot of people also surmised would become the next Supra.)

So that’s what we know. Here’s what we don’t.

The name. It’s been dubbed the new Supra by pretty much everyone, but there’s been no official confirmation from Toyota yet that it will be called that. They’d be fools not to, though.

The engine. The car’s platform is co-developed with BMW, but no one is clear what motor is under that hood. It may be a twin-turbo six, potentially a V6 with some 400 horsepower. It may also get built in Austria. That’s where the shadow car company Magna-Steyr already produces a few cars for BMW specifically—we think this car will also be a Z5 roadster for the Germans. It may also be a hybrid with all-wheel drive too.

The price. Who can say? Let’s hope Toyota keeps it relatively affordable. The last twin-turbo Supra got pretty pricey, but it was still a giant-slayer in terms of performance. And that was before the tuners got ahold of it.

When we’ll get it. I’m assuming soon! The camouflaged mules running around are no secret at this point. A debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November is possible, but if it’s not revealed at a special event somewhere, the Detroit show in January seems more likely to me.

No matter what, this will be the most hotly-anticipated new performance car in a generation. Here’s hoping Toyota can make it move as good as it looks.
http://jalopnik.com/exclusive-heres-...-su-1787377881
Old 10-04-16, 12:59 PM
evident
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

the jalopnik rendering looks great. It's a homage to the 90's design of japanese coupes. Not sure why they chose those rims though. they remind me of the current gen Corolla
Old 10-04-16, 01:08 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

^agreed

Can someone put better wheels on the render?
Old 10-04-16, 01:53 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry to say but this supposed insider info render doesn't pull on my heart strings like the FT-1 did. I definitely know that concept cars are always way more exaggerated then what will make it to production but if this "insider info" rendering is anything close to the production, then I will be soooooo disappointed. I guess I have so high expectations for this Supra model that I would even hold off on a car purchase until I see what the production model looks like. The front bumper is terrible and so bland. I would actually say that the render form SupraMKV.com is a better render because it still has hints of the FT-1 but it's tamed and cleaned up and it looks simple. The Supra that we all know and love really is a simple design if you look at it. The only real flashy thing was the wing that was actually functional at 70+mph and the large opening in the lower front bumper that was agin functional. The lower front bumper is not exciting. Many cars these days have large opening's in the lower front bumper and they're much more elegant than this. Look at the M5 for example. That is a huge opening plus side openings for the brakes and oil cooler too and that still looks elegant.
Old 10-04-16, 02:23 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My only concern is what will be the price tag......starting @ $50k??? Its a Toyota so it should have lower MSRP than RC-F
Old 10-04-16, 02:37 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bam
I'm sorry to say but this supposed insider info render doesn't pull on my heart strings like the FT-1 did. I definitely know that concept cars are always way more exaggerated then what will make it to production but if this "insider info" rendering is anything close to the production, then I will be soooooo disappointed. I guess I have so high expectations for this Supra model that I would even hold off on a car purchase until I see what the production model looks like. The front bumper is terrible and so bland. I would actually say that the render form SupraMKV.com is a better render because it still has hints of the FT-1 but it's tamed and cleaned up and it looks simple. The Supra that we all know and love really is a simple design if you look at it. The only real flashy thing was the wing that was actually functional at 70+mph and the large opening in the lower front bumper that was agin functional. The lower front bumper is not exciting. Many cars these days have large opening's in the lower front bumper and they're much more elegant than this. Look at the M5 for example. That is a huge opening plus side openings for the brakes and oil cooler too and that still looks elegant.
I agreed with a lot of what you said. The only thing that I do like better on the new render would have to be the headlights. I did miss the rear air vents in front of the rear wheels. But in the end this is still just a rendering. Hopefully the real thing will look much better.
Old 10-04-16, 03:52 PM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

^ front headlights are the same ones on the new Toyota 86 but with the FT-1 strip....Personally this looks more like the next generation of the 86 rather than the new Supra. Or so I hope. I just don't see 'Timeless' in this design which would be disappointing.

Last edited by Jason2801; 10-04-16 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1