Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 06:21 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

New information says 2019 Toyota Supra will get a manual transmission, turbo V-6 engine

Enthusiasts can let out a sigh of relief if the latest information about the 2019 Toyota Supra turns out to be true. According to a Toyota insider, the reborn Supra will feature a manual transmission after all. Plans also call for a turbocharged V-6 engine.

As you may recall, the most recent leaked information, which showed various model codes for the 2019 Toyota Supra, did not list a manual transmission at all. However, the next BMW Z4—the Supra's development cousin—did show a manual gearbox option.

Now, the newest leak comes from the IH8Mud forum. A member spoke with a Toyota representative about the 200 Series Land Cruiser. The rep purportedly worked on the Land Cruiser in Japan and is involved in all of Toyota's North American product plans. He said to "expect a manual transmission option" in the Supra.

The representative also denied the rumors of a BMW-sourced inline-6 engine for the 2019 Toyota Supra, another nugget of information that rebukes the previously leaked model codes. Instead, a turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 engine may power the MK V Supra, and, according to the source, it's been co-developed between BMW and Toyota. Output could be "north of 400 horsepower." The rumored hybrid powertrain is also a possibility.

The source made no mention of an inline-4 cylinder engine, which has previously been rumored as well.

It's possible Toyota will reveal the 2019 Supra at the Tokyo Motor Show this year.

In the meantime, BMW gave us our first look at the Supra's cousin, the next Z4, with a concept car shown at Pebble Beach. While the 2019 Supra won't share any exterior design cues with the Z4, the concept does give us an idea of the size and packaging for the iconic Japanese sports car.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rbo-v-6-engine
Old 08-23-17, 06:43 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh thank god... ! No BMW engine!!!
Old 08-23-17, 08:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Hope the leak holds true!
Old 08-23-17, 09:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Originally Posted by jadu
Hope the leak holds true!
Yes, I'm also crossing my fingers
Old 08-24-17, 05:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

The source made no mention of an inline-4 cylinder engine, which has previously been rumored as well.
aren't all 4 cyl engines inline except for boxers?
Old 08-24-17, 05:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Be nice bit I saw that too and let it slide.
Old 08-24-17, 05:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Why? They build solid inline 6's....

imho collaboration does verify what we already know, you basically can't start from scratch, especially with refinement. Which means in certain situations (dag they wouldn't stop using this term when I was in B school) there's synergy, prolly this is one of them....
Old 08-24-17, 05:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I once asked a coworker, is your Accord a V6? She said no, I got the V4. I just smiled...

sweet there will be a manual, but Toyota motor built inline 6's in the past, why a V6, that's shaky shaky...
Old 08-24-17, 06:22 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually they are not. Ford of Europe built a V-4 for several years and Honda uses V-4 engines in some of their motorcycles. It makes a very compact package.
Steve
Old 08-24-17, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^ ok, almost all.
Old 08-24-17, 07:16 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't necessarily have a problem with Toyota using BMW's in-line 6 engines. I had an e90 335i and the engine was wonderful. What I don't want the Supra to do is use any components from BMW. So in other words give Toyota the blue print for their sixes but let Toyota build the engines using their parts and quality control. The reliability of BMW's sucks. All I want from BMW is their engineering. Marry that with Toyota's reliability and quality control along with their interpretation of the Supra design and you've got a winner. Now let's just see this thing already!
Old 08-24-17, 07:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

So in Toyota world "north of 400hp" really means 401-407hp. Its gonna be more like a $50k car with the LS500 engine in that thing. Unless it only has 1 turbo to differentiate it. Then the question becomes why only 415hp in the LS with TWO turbos?
Old 08-24-17, 08:01 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
I don't necessarily have a problem with Toyota using BMW's in-line 6 engines. I had an e90 335i and the engine was wonderful. What I don't want the Supra to do is use any components from BMW. So in other words give Toyota the blue print for their sixes but let Toyota build the engines using their parts and quality control. The reliability of BMW's sucks. All I want from BMW is their engineering. Marry that with Toyota's reliability and quality control along with their interpretation of the Supra design and you've got a winner. Now let's just see this thing already!
I find it telling that the BMW guys don't want ANY Toyota parts in the Z4, and quite possibly Toyota guys don't want ANY BMW parts in the Supra! Two different cars, two different purposes. One is a lease and dump (Z4), the other wants reliability (Supra).
Old 08-24-17, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bam
All I want from BMW is their engineering. Marry that with Toyota's reliability and quality control along with their interpretation of the Supra design and you've got a winner. Now let's just see this thing already!
reliability is part of design and engineering. so there's no guarantee that if toyota blindly made a bmw design that it would be any more reliable.
however it happened, the design and engineering, combined with manufacturing and quality control made the 2JZ legendary. but its toughness imo was more about design and engineering. that thing is stout (and heavy as hell lol).

Originally Posted by ragingf80
I find it telling that the BMW guys don't want ANY Toyota parts in the Z4, and quite possibly Toyota guys don't want ANY BMW parts in the Supra! Two different cars, two different purposes. One is a lease and dump (Z4), the other wants reliability (Supra).
not really, just two different companies. i'm sure culturally they couldn't be more different... it's an odd hookup. i don't believe bmw builds cars without trying to make them reliable. and while bmw has had its share of reliability black eyes, i think overall the issue is highly blown out of proportion, i know loads of people who have had no issues with bmws. just like toyota/lexus has a well deserved reputation for quality and reliability but that doesn't mean that no one has issues or even lemons.
Old 08-24-17, 09:36 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Generally speaking Toyota builds reliable vehicles and generally speaking, BMW builds great handling vehicles. Toyota can build a great handling vehicle, when they make that a primary focus but more often than not, it isn't their focus when building their vehicles. Having said that these two companies are great companies in their respective world and how they go about selling cars. I've owned many Toyota/Lexus vehicles and I've owned a few BMW's. I love the way BMW's drive but their reliability suck. Flat out. I don't care what people say about how reliable they think BMW's are. They're aren't reliable. You certainly can't take the opinion from anybody that leases their BMW to dump them in 3 years. That just doesn't count. I'm talking about long time reliability.

Reliability is "built" into the vehicle during the design process BUT it's also a matter of parts being used. An example from my personal experience is my 2008 (original owner) 335 had the rear two window regulators fail. It's not like I'm sitting there rolling my rear windows up and down all day long. I'm using them as normal. I've never had a window regulator fail on any of my Toyota/Lexus'.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still very excited to see what Toyota has in store for us as I've always loved the Supra. Couldn't afford it when it was available. Had a 1993 MR2 Turbo instead. Now that I'm working, I've love to get into a modern day interpretation of the Supra Turbo assuming that I like what Toyota has to offer for the 2018/2019 Supra. Hopefully, it doesn't suck!

I'd like to see a "base" Supra with maybe 335 or so hp and a higher level Supra using the new LS engine putting out mid 400 hp. I would have to assume that the price point will be somewhere near what the Z4 is going since they were basically engineered together. Considering that the Supra will not be a convertible, some of the price will have to go elsewhere and I think it will be the higher spec engine. Maybe it'll be the Gazoo trim similar to M model from BMW or the F models from Lexus. 6 speed manual or a 7 speed dual clutch.

I think it would be hard to sell a base Supra with say 250 hp or so. In 1993, the base engine I believe had 220 hp but when Accords and Camrys are pushing close to 300hp, I think selling a base sports car with less than 300 hp is starting off on the wrong foot.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1