Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 11:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is a little better news. I would love another Toyota inline 6 but with 400+hp, BMW inline 6 is not very appealing in a Toyota sports car especially if it only had 335hp. I would prefer a Toyota tt v6 with 400+hp if the choice was between a BMW inline 6 though my top choice would be a V8 or small tt V8.

The spy shots still just don't appeal to me, the stance and proportions are wrong and not very attractive, looks to be a Z4 or 350Z competitor type car then a real Corvette or 911 competitor.

Please no lame 4cylinder engine in this car.
Old 08-24-17, 01:32 PM
LexJonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever since I was a Kid...I always wanted a Supra!!!
Old 08-26-17, 04:08 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
So in Toyota world "north of 400hp" really means 401-407hp. Its gonna be more like a $50k car with the LS500 engine in that thing. Unless it only has 1 turbo to differentiate it. Then the question becomes why only 415hp in the LS with TWO turbos?
^^ Yep. I also suspected that if the use of a BMW I-6TT wasn't proven to be in the cards (as far as we were aware for a while it seemed to be) the only other possible engine would have been the new V6-TT for the Lexus LS. Toyota did this in the past by introducing the 2JZ-GTE first in the Aristo sedan (GS300) two years before it showed up in the Supra MKIV and both cars used that engine in relatively the same tune (in the Japanese market) for a decade. Of course the Aristo got it first in order for Toyota to be able to campaign the big sedan in the JGTC GT500 racing class. I don't see any big LS sedan going racing.

Love the news of a manual transmission being on offer after all! And this still doesn't rule out an additional hybrid V6-TT model. Or maybe that will be the often rumored four cylinder model (a turbo hybrid AR engine?)

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-26-17 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-26-17, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Can't imagine using an LS engine in a Supra with the LS being a flagship luxury sedan and a Supra supposedly being a bad *** sports car.
Old 08-26-17, 01:49 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

There has never been a V6 twin turbo used in an LS before either. If it's the same engine code it is probably going to have VERY different ECU tuning and some different parts in the Supra MKV implementation.

It could also be that Toyota developed a new V6 turbo engine family and the LS is getting a totally different engine code, different cylinder heads, different turbochargers, etc. with only the familial relation of the block design being mostly similar but not the same. Nissan did this with the GTR's VR38DETT and Infiniti's VR37.

If one of these scenarios turns out to be the case it's not that different from what Toyota did in the 90's with the 1JZ and 2JZ engine series. Only two cars ever got the 2JZGTE from the factory (Supra Turbo and Aristo V300) while many other models got the 1JZGTE, 1JZGE, 2JZGE and later the very short-lived 2JZ-FSE. But a good many cars that were not as focused as the Supra Turbo got the 1JZ-GTE, some of them being very luxury oriented and most of those coming with automatics rather than the rare manual.

If they developed a stellar turbo engine family that can mostly live up to the one cast by the 2JZGTE's shadow I don't see why they wouldn't have other variants available, especially when turbocharging is becoming far more common today outside of sports cars and hot hatches.

From the latest news it appears that Toyota has done the same thing with this V6TT that they did in 1990 with the 2JZGTE: they've outsourced to a German firm or manufacturer to work over a starting point engine and redesign and retune it for use in the Supra. I don't recall the German firm they used in '90 but this time they appear to have just worked with BMW on the redesign of their own engine as well as the shared chassis.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-26-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 11:12 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supra concept ?

Any news on the next generation Toyota Supra ?
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Supra / FT-1-ms2007_097.jpg  
Old 10-19-17, 11:34 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

We will know more on October 27th when the Tokyo Motor Show opens.
Old 10-19-17, 11:43 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like an FRS with a body kit.
Old 10-21-17, 11:10 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

^^ That concept car picture is VERY old. The Supra MKV looks nothing like that now. Google the Toyota FT-1 Concept and then Google "new Toyota Supra spied" or "...testing" or "...mule". The pre-production test mules, shared with the BMW Z4 (but not the actual styling or supposedly most of the drivetrain) have been driving around for at least a year in the wild, covered in swirly camouflage.

The prevailing rumors have been: RWD only, some sort of performance hybrid system (similar to the GT86 hybrid testing prototype), manual transmission and automated manual transmission options (although an oddball manual-yet-automatic shifter has been spied in one test car, confusing everyone), and V6 TT engine codenamed 943F which may or may not be related to the brand new twin turbo 3.5L V6 in the new 2018+ Lexus LS sedan. Horsepower guesses are anywhere between 320hp to 400hp+.

The chief designer Tetsuya Tada (who oversaw the FR-S/GT86/BRZ/86 program) went on record a couple of years ago stating that the Supra MKV is not intended to be an R35 GTR numbers-chasing sportscar at the expense of driving fun, feel and engagement but rather a very high performance pure driver's sportscar with those qualities as key priorities. Hence why many of us sincerely hope they engineered in a true manual gearbox.

Toyota will at least show us the current state of the new Supra on October 27th. Hopefully we'll learn more of the hard facts about it as well.

Edit-- Here's a good current discussion thread on the Supra MKV topic:

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/toky...ion.661/page-2

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-21-17 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 10:29 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like there will be 4 trims:

Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/13/...va-motor-show/

I wonder what these trims translates to in the US market?

Supra (base)
Supra TRD
Supra TRD Sport
Supra TRD Pro

Or will they still introduce the Celica nameplate as rumored?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10049809

Celica
Celica Supra
Supra Sport
Supra Pro

haha
Old 02-04-18, 01:02 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Old 02-04-18, 06:02 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 145 Posts

honestly, i’d rather the supra be using an inline 6 from BMW. first off, BMW I6’s make very nice exhaust notes stock rather then our 300/350 engines where we need aftermarket exhausts for them to sound good (and believe me they do after). another reason is we all know that the car would have lots of power and the engine would be under rated, it would be a spectacular car to own
Old 02-04-18, 06:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Looks like there will be 4 trims:

Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/13/...va-motor-show/

I wonder what these trims translates to in the US market?

Supra (base)
Supra TRD
Supra TRD Sport
Supra TRD Pro

Or will they still introduce the Celica nameplate as rumored?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10049809

Celica
Celica Supra
Supra Sport
Supra Pro

haha
Honestly. I am at a complete loss if Toyota will come through with the goods. Knowing Toyota, they will screw if by not going all out.
Old 02-07-18, 06:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Just in from Bimmerpost:

Supra details: three engines (EU-only 195hp 20i, 255hp 30i, and 335hp 40i - and this means the 380hp Z4 M40i will be offered only by BMW and only in North America and a few other non-EU markets). Intro later this year, common sense suggests it will be simultaneous with Z4. It will be Toyota in name and body design only - everything inside the car is the same familiar BMW stuff: same options, same colors, same interior materials. Speaking of colors, it feels almost like a throwback to the 00s: Glacier Silver, Atacama Yellow, and Crimson Red are coming back, though there'll also be a new matte gray. For the interior, you'll be able to choose between fabric, alcantara, and leather, and (the gods have heard us!) all of these choices will be available in the U.S. Wheels: 17" standard with 18" and 19" optional on 20i and 30i, 18" standard and 19" optional on 40i. 40i gets standard M sport diff, while on 30i it will be optional in something that BMW would call "ZMP". Market positioning for the car seems to be distinctly lower than BMW, for example, the barebones 30i will have manual seat adjustments and no nav system.

And, finally (que the sad trombone): all models are automatic only.
So pretty disappointing imo and should not be named a Supra.....
Old 02-08-18, 08:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Just in from Bimmerpost:

So pretty disappointing imo and should not be named a Supra.....
This is going to be a total disappointment, they should name it a Celica, not Supra. It is essentially a Toyota 3 series/Z5 in a different body, no way it will come close to competing with a Corvette or 911 turbo like the last one did. A real Supra would have been based on the LC500 with a shape like it and outperform it, not based on a low end BMW roadster with BMW 4 and 6 cylinders.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1