Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 08:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully they have something to remedy the lack of halo-type performance and former enthusiast abilities in the works. I would imagine there's a full M variant Z5 in the works, beyond just the mentioned M40i. That could bring with it a true King Supra. Fingers crossed....
Old 02-08-18, 09:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
This is going to be a total disappointment, they should name it a Celica, not Supra. It is essentially a Toyota 3 series/Z5 in a different body, no way it will come close to competing with a Corvette or 911 turbo like the last one did. A real Supra would have been based on the LC500 with a shape like it and outperform it, not based on a low end BMW roadster with BMW 4 and 6 cylinders.
Well, from reading the rumors/speculations and mentioned above, the low end might be named celica, while the higher trim is the supra(?).
I'm a little disappointed also (more of not having high hopes), not mainly b/c of the hp ratings, but it's a bmw underneath with different body panels and slapping on a toyota emblem.

I may be in the minority, but I don't need a GTR killer hp and price it out of the stratosphere or to be anemic either since it's expected to be heavy (somewhere around the sub 4k pound).

Until the final reveal at Geneva at the end of the month, that's when we'll know for sure so I'm keeping my hopes up...
Old 02-08-18, 10:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

At least the Z4 M40i model will have 380hp but the Supra will top out at 335hp.
Both Supra and Z4 will be Automatic only......im really confused at the target market.

Also Toyota basically has contributed zero to this car's development except for $$$$$.
All parts, switches, electric, engines, trans is BMW!

Having said all that - the car should still be fast with 0-60 in high 3s for the 6cyl.
The M240i with this engine is low 4s and Supra should weigh 350-500lb less.
Lack of a manual though is a BIG mistake, didnt they learn anything from the new NSX launch.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-08-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

yeah but will it be reliable?
Old 02-08-18, 11:52 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah but will it be reliable?
NOPE.

Toyota should distance itself as far as it can from this car. Not worthy of the Supra name whatsoever. Blech.

I can imagine the poor techs in the Toyota service departments trying to figure out this car. It's entirely BMW. Toyota will need to hire ex-BMW techs or side hire current ones to work on this thing.
Old 02-08-18, 12:33 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ sounds like a lot of training-never thought of it that way. And, tooling as well
Old 02-08-18, 01:22 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
^^^ sounds like a lot of training-never thought of it that way. And, tooling as well
The most cost effective thing to do here is just send the cars directly to BMW dealerships. Either the client takes it there himself or Toyota quietly sends each one after the client leaves. That will get old fast.

The other option, is basically setting up a BMW service center within a Toyota service center. Parts stock, BMW technical info, tools, techs, machinery, the works. Imagine a Toyota tech trying to decipher BMW's ISTA-D OEM Diagnostic suite. Hah! Hell, some of them can't even handle Toyota's Techstream.

All this infrastructure for ONE car?

Nah. I'd love to see how they decide to handle this. And for what: A Toyota bodied BMW named Supra? EW.

This whole project is stupid and blasphemous.
Old 02-08-18, 02:16 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
The most cost effective thing to do here is just send the cars directly to BMW dealerships. Either the client takes it there himself or Toyota quietly sends each one after the client leaves. That will get old fast.

The other option, is basically setting up a BMW service center within a Toyota service center. Parts stock, BMW technical info, tools, techs, machinery, the works. Imagine a Toyota tech trying to decipher BMW's ISTA-D OEM Diagnostic suite. Hah! Hell, some of them can't even handle Toyota's Techstream.

All this infrastructure for ONE car?

Nah. I'd love to see how they decide to handle this. And for what: A Toyota bodied BMW named Supra? EW.

This whole project is stupid and blasphemous.
ya, you hit right on the head with this. all this to support 1 new model. i wonder how they resolved the part numbering??

it sounds like toyota may just want the engineering files for this car; solidworks project, CAD files, pcb schematics, pcb layouts, firmware projects, source code etc...
Old 02-08-18, 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm starting to wonder if Toyota and BMW are colluding for the ultimate April Fools prank, years in the making
Old 02-08-18, 02:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first read about this collaboration, I thought oh good BMW finally came to its senses and was going to learn something about component quality and long term reliability from Toyota. Guess the joke's on potential Supra buyers.
Old 02-08-18, 02:51 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm starting to wonder if Toyota and BMW are colluding for the ultimate April Fools prank, years in the making
​​​​​​One can only hope.
Old 02-08-18, 02:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm losing my excitement for this car.
Old 02-08-18, 03:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Well, from reading the rumors/speculations and mentioned above, the low end might be named celica, while the higher trim is the supra(?).
I'm a little disappointed also (more of not having high hopes), not mainly b/c of the hp ratings, but it's a bmw underneath with different body panels and slapping on a toyota emblem.

I may be in the minority, but I don't need a GTR killer hp and price it out of the stratosphere or to be anemic either since it's expected to be heavy (somewhere around the sub 4k pound).

Until the final reveal at Geneva at the end of the month, that's when we'll know for sure so I'm keeping my hopes up...
The "high end" version should be the base Supra with a true high performance 475hp version to take it to a Corvette or 911 S. I don't need a GTR killer either and certainly don't want one priced along the lines of a GTR. I would have preferred the top Supra to be placed along the lines of a Corvette, maybe a little higher with more power and performance and a stance like a Corvette or LC500 over a low end Z5 roadster stance. I can't see why anyone would choose this new Supra over a 8 cylinder Mustang or Camaro let alone a Corvette. Who are they marketing this car to? Past Supra fans are not going to like it, it will be too expensive for lower priced muscle car/sports car fans and they won't be excited about a sports car with well under 400hp, it can't compete with a Corvette or 911 so it is not going to get any interest from that group.
Old 02-08-18, 10:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Just in from Bimmerpost:

So pretty disappointing imo and should not be named a Supra.....
This makes no sense to me. Why would they offer a Euro-only 'Supra' with around 200hp when they have the GT86 with that power? Either these posts about the Supra are misleading or guessing. I've seen lots of different pictures with Toyota test drivers in the car and the BMW is a rag top. Maybe they share the same chassis and stuff but that doesn't mean it's going to be a BMW with a Toyota badge. We'll see.
Old 02-09-18, 04:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
The guy posting this info is a BMW insider who provides product pipeline details for awhile now and is correct 99.9% of the time. I do agree it makes no sense except that it further shows how cheap Toyota is.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1