Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah... 2020 launch...

oh and that GR version is RIDICULOUS... completely irrelevant to driving something on ROADS.
Like I said, they are trying not to sell these things.
Old 03-08-18, 08:08 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
If it does, then it would be moving into RCF territory and a 405hp to 444hp car in a 3200 lbs chassis is a much better package than a 467hp car in a 3800lbs car.

Another possibility is that it uses the 3.0L inline 6 N55 engine from the M2 which puts out about 365hp. I believe the M2 weighs about 3200lbs too and it also has the double clutch "automatic." Seems like this may be most possible scenario in my opinion.
I am leaning more to the BMW B58 motor (3.0L single turbocharged inline 6) 335hp from the 240i,340i,440i etc.
Old 03-08-18, 08:19 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I really wanted it to retain the GT long body design with wider wheelbase...like the oldie, but I suppose that will just pig this thing out to 3700lb again. Admittedly, I doubt this thing will get 400+ HP as Toyota has been relatively conservative with their targeted performance figures, but I reallllllllly would like to see a Toyota flagship (not Lexus) having something of the super car caliber, such as NSX/GTR.
Old 03-08-18, 09:00 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

As many of you know, Toyota might be planning on an AUTO/DCT only for the Supra... someone on the supra forums created this petition for SAVING THE MANUAL on the NEW SUPRA.

https://www.change.org/p/toyota-moto...share_petition

Its a long shot, but I'm sure all the manual lovers would appreciate it if you signed the petition.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-18, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

lol - not happening.
Old 03-08-18, 04:07 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess BMW has to have first dibs on their production car being released and then Toyota can do their thing.
Old 03-08-18, 04:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I guess BMW has to have first dibs on their production car being released and then Toyota can do their thing.
And also on the manual transmission option too. On an unrelated note though, to sum up some of the posts:

Toyota should have made a long bodied GT style Corvette killer with 450-500+ hp and a manual transmission.

It should have had some new reworked version of the 2JZ-GTE inline six and failing that the consolation prize should have been the LS' V6tt.

And finally how dare they call this a Supra because it doesn't honor the name of a single model run in the 90s and this is an insult to that heritage, pedigree, lol.

But to lighten the grim doomsayer mood. Australia's Motoring magazine had a chance to talk to Toyota's designer on Z4 vs Supra so it is worth the read.

“This project started in May 2012. At that time I was in the midst of a press event in Spain for the GT86. I received a phone call from management and I was instructed to go and see BMW in Munich, secretly, without telling anyone.“I went over to Munich and discussed with BMW and back in Japan discussed with my superior that it would be possible to do a joint development. I got the instruction to look into it myself and see the possibility.

“We finally came to the concept of making Supra together after two years of joint work and alliance with BMW. A flagship sports car was a possibility and a high-tech car was another possibility. We have quite different styles on how we development cars and how we make cars compared with BMW.”“As you know, Supra made its revival after 15 years,” he said. “We wanted to think about what sort of car we wanted.

The first thing I did was to go to different fans of Supra to hear what their requests were. I didn’t want to simply revive Supra, I wanted to adopt new tech into the car at the same time, “Hearing these different voices, I understand there are two elements that we need to keep with the new Supra.“This is the fifth-generation Supra and from each of the four generations before it there has been one consistency: a straight six engine that has been installed. These have been very important element.

“The other important element is FR (front engine, rear drive) configuration.“On one hand I had this opportunity to work together with BMW and the other opportunity was to revive Supra. I thought that was a perfect match to utilise the elements of both companies.

”The Supra has an estimated mid-2019 arrival in Australia. Toyota says there will be several different variants at this point, including the possibility of hybrid and four-cylinder powertrains – and hopefully a manual transmission.
Source

Last edited by MattyG; 03-08-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 07:50 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
And also on the manual transmission option too. On an unrelated note though, to sum up some of the posts:

Toyota should have made a long bodied GT style Corvette killer with 450-500+ hp and a manual transmission.

It should have had some new reworked version of the 2JZ-GTE inline six and failing that the consolation prize should have been the LS' V6tt.

And finally how dare they call this a Supra because it doesn't honor the name of a single model run in the 90s and this is an insult to that heritage, pedigree, lol.

But to lighten the grim doomsayer mood. Australia's Motoring magazine had a chance to talk to Toyota's designer on Z4 vs Supra so it is worth the read.

Source
If they put a V6tt in there and it outperforms everyone else in its price bracket and more, people will forget about the inline 6 very quickly. Now its just a BWM in Toyota skin.
Old 03-09-18, 07:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/news/toyot...a-reveal-2019/

This is not even funny - by the time it comes out, it will be a 2020 model with delivery starting in late 2019!
Old 03-09-18, 08:13 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Doesnt matter how many times I look at it, the new Supra seems to follow the general outline of GT86/FRS/BRZ -_____-"

From this:

to this:

Lord, why have you forsaken us?
Old 03-09-18, 10:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

(moderator: quote of above post with large photos removed)

First Supra Turbo I ever saw was a white one. I remember I was on vacation and it was parked so I saw it from the rear, I just loved the design and did not even know it existed. I looked around it and inside and just loved what I saw. I was a big fan ever since. This new one just is not doing it for me, the RC350 looks much better to me.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-09-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 04:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Lord, why have you forsaken us?
Oh the humanity!
Old 03-09-18, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is not even funny - by the time it comes out, it will be a 2020 model with delivery starting in late 2019!
well i did call it

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah... 2020 launch...
another reason why showing cars so far ahead of launch doesn't make any sense, just irritates potential buyers. especially a 'version' as wacky as this GR one.
Old 03-10-18, 12:03 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to get things right, the Geneva debut was this "racing" version we had seen before.

IE it was a total con job on seeing the actual production version of the "new" Toyota Supra.

IMO Toyota is becoming a bit like GM, ie they tease cool concepts but deliver boring *** **** time after time, unless its named Corvette or Camaro.
Old 03-10-18, 09:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just to get things right, the Geneva debut was this "racing" version we had seen before.

IE it was a total con job on seeing the actual production version of the "new" Toyota Supra.

IMO Toyota is becoming a bit like GM, ie they tease cool concepts but deliver boring *** **** time after time, unless its named Corvette or Camaro.
The LC500 is almost a carbon copy of the concept car. I'd say they've done better recently.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1