Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 03:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not really hard to understand what I wrote - they made CLA sporty, but it is FWD so it will be forever limited in being sporty.

They made C class luxurious even though FWD car will be always roomier.

As I said, they probably were too scared to rock the boat and change C class around.

So no, it doesnt make sense that your FWD car is sporty and that your RWD car is luxury.
I understood it just fine. You're ignoring many factors that went into the situation, I'll add some more context for you to my answer:

-You're assuming (incorrectly) that the CLA was meant to be an outright sports sedan. Buyers in the CLA segment are looking for a "sporty" ride, for a cheap price, which it delivered to an extent. The Audi A3 will likely be better at it.

--The CLA250 makes sense being FWD because 1) MB wasn't trying to deliver full on sport sedan 2) it uses a platform that covers a budget hatchback (A-class) to an SUV (GLA250) 3) It's cheaper to make, being FWD. That doesn't make the car the best vehicle ever, but it makes sense from a $$$ standpoint.

---You're for some reason insinuating the C-class would be better off FWD. The possibility of a bigger FWD Mercedes using an existing platform doesn't exist, and they sure as hell weren't about to make one. Thus, the C-class is using the flexible MRA RWD platform that will underpin everything above the C-class from now on, which keeps it on even keel with its competitors. Being FWD also wouldn't leave room for an AMG product that will be able to compete with others in what will surely be the $70k range. The CLA45 gets away with its FWD roots a price bracket down because its competitive set won't be any harder edged.

----As I've already stated, it seems buyers in this class have put absolute sportiness as a second priority. BMW has clearly made luxury a priority and its paying off on them; why would Mercedes change course now? They've always built the C-class this way and it's sales have spoken for itself. Why this is now the favored formula is the question.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus just dropped Halogen from US cars, standard HID / optional LED now. So at least that's a step in the right direction.
BIG to Lexus for that! I had no idea. I wonder how long MB/Audi/BMW will get away with this. It sounds like I give them a pass but I'm equally surprised.

I also can't believe a freaking ALARM SYSTEM is optional on some BMWs. Oh we'll give you keyless entry, just no alarm...

Originally Posted by LexFather
and its really funny to see some people on forums now rationalize why not being sporty is fine and what people want when in the past when these same cars were sportier they were the internet darlings and sport meant everything.

Caddy and Lexus come along and all of a sudden sport doesn't matter and they don't' sell as well.

FYI TangoRed this is not directed to you as you seem to be one of the most level headed people around I've seen post, even if you like your Benz's
Thanks for the compliment. I'm a Benz fanboy, I'll admit. I'll also admit that in my youth I was a BMW fanboy and was all about the BMW E46 being the pinnacle of everything awesome; every car needed to be as sporty. The 2IS IS350 was numb enough that I complete dismissed it. Then I grew up a little and my priorities changed. How convenient for me.

Somewhere down the line the market dynamic changed as well, I just don't know when or why.
Old 12-20-13, 04:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

For the record, the RX does not have HID standard. Its part of an option comfort package.
Old 12-20-13, 04:30 PM
RXSF

I would agree it would be nice if HIDs and other things are standard on luxury cars. But as you say, you can get LEDs on cheap compacts nowadays so being a luxury manufacturer is getting more difficult. No longer can they use features as a way to distinguish themselves. It has to be more than that. My C class is a great example. Sure, it probably wasn't the smartest decision. At the time, it costs more than an IS, with a weaker engine (at the time the 3.5 made only 268hp, less than a camry), MB-TEX as standard, no cooled seats, no push button ignition. And the options that should have been standard weren't. That being said, its the intangibles and the small details that sets it apart as a luxury car. I love how when you stop the engine, the wipers in mid swipe will stop, but turning the key again will make them go down instead of finishing the full windshield. I love how there is a safety built into the starter so that turning the key when the ignition is on won't ruin it. I love that if I get into a car accident, the doors will unlock automatically, and that my headlights turn on when the auto wipers are activated. To me, these are what make it a luxury car, not whether the projectors are standard.

I don't mind them not putting in projectors on a base car as long as they have put more attention in the engineering and quality. Most people are going to get the LEDs anyways and Im sure they will not be a standalone option like on lexus cars. I am sure they will be bundled in a premium I or II package so that almost all cars will have them.

Last edited by RXSF; 12-20-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 08:45 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Well complain all you want, Benz can't build enough CLA's and they sold 2.7 million C-class cars last go round so they seem to know what people want.
Which happens to be a giant star on the grill and a cheap lease deal.
Old 12-21-13, 04:33 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I love how there is a safety built into the starter so that turning the key when the ignition is on won't ruin it.
This has been standard on lowly dometics for moe than a decade
Old 12-21-13, 05:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

VW touted something like that on the Jetta in a commercial a year or so ago. Basically in the event of impact, doors unlock, hazards turn on etc..
Old 12-22-13, 07:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Which happens to be a giant star on the grill and a cheap lease deal.
this is exactly what it is...

what i find it funny is that people who would scream if this would be on Lexus, are justifying it on MB. People who complain about Corolla not having direct injection are ok with $40k sedan not having even halogen projectors :-).

I know that in Europe, there will be many C classes sold with halogens, just like there are now with A4 and 3 series. Around 35% of used F30's are with halogens in Germany. Around 30% dont have cruise control. Just checked. And this is in Germany, in other countries probably more.
Old 12-22-13, 11:06 AM
RXSF

I think the difference is that you can change what you don't like (lack of projectors) by optioning what you want. You pay can to change it. Your corolla example? You cannot pay to get DI. A lot of the gripes (read: feedback) we have about Lexus is that you cannot change what you don't like.
Old 12-22-13, 12:33 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think the difference is that you can change what you don't like (lack of projectors) by optioning what you want. You pay can to change it. Your corolla example? You cannot pay to get DI. A lot of the gripes (read: feedback) we have about Lexus is that you cannot change what you don't like.
My IS250 had DI. I couldn't pay enough to get rid of the DI.
Old 12-22-13, 01:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

What a botched launch! GREEDY Mercedes, only offering AWD in the US for the first year. That's forcing every customer to pony up an extra $2000 they normally would not have spent in the SW and South regions. I hate the idea customers have to pay for something they don't want or need, not to mention the hit on fuel economy for these cars. I wish there'd be a backlash, but it's going to go unnoticed.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 12-23-13 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-22-13, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mrraider
My IS250 had DI. I couldn't pay enough to get rid of the DI.
you no like the tick tick tick?
Old 12-22-13, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What a botched luanch! GREEDY Mercedes, only offering AWD in the US for the first year. That's forcing every customer to pony up an extra $2000 they normally would not have spent in the SW and South regions. I hate the idea customers have to pay for something they don't want or need, not to mention the hit on fuel economy for these cars. I wish there'd be a backlash, but it's going to go unnoticed.
Lexus does all but the same thing in any region where there is a hint of snow...
Old 12-22-13, 02:33 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
right. so point being give a little back to the consumer. I mean I'm paying for a Luxury badge, I don't think halogen really helps the image
I don't think the luxury German marques have any intention of "giving" back to their customers (nor any luxury auto manufacturer for that matter). Their profit margins are always in gouging on options and servicing. And I'm talking about Australian prices as well, where we routinely pay 50% or more on our vehicles than the US.

I made my comment based on their greed - I'm not agreeing with their tactics; I remember during the first gen IS launch, visitng BMW to check out the 3 series, and the dealer made out like a single slot CD player was a "luxury item". A centre arm rest was an option too at the time. They know people value the badge over anything else, so they'll happily take the opportunity to gouge you on options whilst whispering in your ear about "luxury" and badge cachet.

We've driven Mercs and BMWs in the family for over the last 40 years, and there's a reason that the two cars in the garage atm are Lexii
Old 12-22-13, 03:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Nights
I don't think the luxury German marques have any intention of "giving" back to their customers (nor any luxury auto manufacturer for that matter). Their profit margins are always in gouging on options and servicing. And I'm talking about Australian prices as well, where we routinely pay 50% or more on our vehicles than the US.

I made my comment based on their greed - I'm not agreeing with their tactics; I remember during the first gen IS launch, visitng BMW to check out the 3 series, and the dealer made out like a single slot CD player was a "luxury item". A centre arm rest was an option too at the time. They know people value the badge over anything else, so they'll happily take the opportunity to gouge you on options whilst whispering in your ear about "luxury" and badge cachet.

We've driven Mercs and BMWs in the family for over the last 40 years, and there's a reason that the two cars in the garage atm are Lexii
I don't think there is any intention either. But it's always nice to believe that "business would do right by the customer". le sigh
Old 12-23-13, 12:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Lexus does all but the same thing in any region where there is a hint of snow...
AWD in snow regions makes sense. Forcing AWD in the dry West and Southwest makes no sense at all and rarely sells when given the choice. It's going to inflate the sticker beyond competitors and make the C-Class look too expensive. Opening at $38k for a base model is way passed everyone else. I hope their own greed backfires with the sticker shock.

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread