Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 08:26 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
AWD in snow regions makes sense. Forcing AWD in the dry West and Southwest makes no sense at all and rarely sells when given the choice. It's going to inflate the sticker beyond competitors and make the C-Class look too expensive. Opening at $38k for a base model is way passed everyone else. I hope their own greed backfires with the sticker shock.
Not sure why ur so upset???

If u want RWD just wait a bit longer.
Launch with limited models and/or trim options is fairly normal practice for most automakers.

BMW did the opposite when they launched the 3 Series - only RWD models were available. If u wanted Xdrive, u had to wait a few months to get it.

Another point - MB is not a value brand. Their vehicles are usually priced higher than competitors yet they outsell every luxury automaker. The brand name alone requires a premium which ppl are happy to pay to get the 3 pointed star.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-23-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-23-13, 09:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Not sure why ur so upset???

If u want RWD just wait a bit longer.
Launch with limited models and/or trim options is fairly normal practice for most automakers.

BMW did the opposite when they launched the 3 Series - only RWD models were available. If u wanted Xdrive, u had to wait a few months to get it.

Another point - MB is not a value brand. Their vehicles are usually priced higher than competitors yet they outsell every luxury automaker. The brand name alone requires a premium which ppl are happy to pay to get the 3 pointed star.
so basically, whatever MB does, it is ok.

:-).
Old 12-23-13, 10:36 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

The market has spoken.

Let's stop personalizing opinions of how consumers will respond.
Old 12-23-13, 11:18 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

They havent done anything lol.

The S class was released as RWD only and with only 1 engine option.
How come ppl are not saying MB is greedy there too?

Again its common practice to limit trim options when an ALL NEW Model is introduced before production fully ramps up.
Old 12-23-13, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

AWD in snow regions makes sense. Forcing AWD in the dry West and Southwest makes no sense at all and rarely sells when given the choice. It's going to inflate the sticker beyond competitors and make the C-Class look too expensive. Opening at $38k for a base model is way passed everyone else. I hope their own greed backfires with the sticker shock.
I personally would have appreciated the choice from Lexus. BMW and MB allow both to be sold whatever the region...I would have bought RWD.

You can get a C Class RWD...just not at first. Many manufacturers delay rollout of certain options and configurations...Lexus included. This is hardly new.
Old 12-23-13, 05:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think what others are noting is that usually its the other way around. I am sure the RWD sales are much greater than the 4matic sales, so they are forcing people who really want the car to get 4matic and pay the premium
Old 12-23-13, 11:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think what others are noting is that usually its the other way around. I am sure the RWD sales are much greater than the 4matic sales, so they are forcing people who really want the car to get 4matic and pay the premium
Yes, EXACTLY. It's a big deal because it is extremely rare for any entry-level luxury sedan to be offered AWD only. If there has ever been fixed option packages or limited options during a release, it's the other way around... no AWD at first. No 2WD is almost unheard of. I think the A7/S7 is one exception. But that's a purposed niche vehicle, not a bread and butter entry level sedan that sells in huge numbers like the C-class.
When I look at a potential new car, I am always thinking, "how is this car built for me, how did the company go out of it's way to consider me and my needs, and how will this car serve me most efficiently over the next four years?" Forcing a pricey and uneeded $2000 option destroys any rapport between the consumer (me) and the maker. I'm sure others don't care as much, but $2000 is not comparable to required heated seats, for example.
Old 12-24-13, 09:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

From your other posts I don't see any circumstance where you would consider purchasing a C Class...so what do you care? Is only having AWD to start going to slow down C Class sales? No. It'll sell very well. You're not going to be one of those buyers, so why all the anger?
Old 12-24-13, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The market has spoken.

Let's stop personalizing opinions of how consumers will respond.
so when Lexus was top only few years ago, we shouldnt have criticized any of their decisions (and we did that, a lot... even a lot more than today), because as long as they sell a lot, it doesnt matter what they do?

Or Camry is the best car in the USA as it sells the best so it shouldnt be criticized as market has spoken ... ok :-)
Old 12-24-13, 09:23 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

so when Lexus was top only few years ago, we shouldnt have criticized any of their decisions (and we did that, a lot... even a lot more than today), because as long as they sell a lot, it doesnt matter what they do?

Or Camry is the best car in the USA as it sells the best so it shouldnt be criticized as market has spoken ... ok :-)
Why does this matter so much to you? And what does this statement have to do about our c-class discussion? Can you try to stay on topic please?
Old 12-24-13, 09:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, EXACTLY. It's a big deal because it is extremely rare for any entry-level luxury sedan to be offered AWD only. If there has ever been fixed option packages or limited options during a release, it's the other way around... no AWD at first. No 2WD is almost unheard of. I think the A7/S7 is one exception. But that's a purposed niche vehicle, not a bread and butter entry level sedan that sells in huge numbers like the C-class.
When I look at a potential new car, I am always thinking, "how is this car built for me, how did the company go out of it's way to consider me and my needs, and how will this car serve me most efficiently over the next four years?" Forcing a pricey and uneeded $2000 option destroys any rapport between the consumer (me) and the maker. I'm sure others don't care as much, but $2000 is not comparable to required heated seats, for example.
LOL - not sure but u must be very young!

MB has the CLA for volume so Cclass will be going up in pricing any way. It will be a more premium model.

If u dont like the AWD dont buy the car. Very simple.
Im sure if sales tank - MB will offer a cheaper
RWD model.
90% of cust have no idea about RWD AWD or FWD.
They like the benz star on hood and affordable pmt.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-24-13 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-24-13, 09:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

BTW good luck with getting any RWD Lexus in Snow areas.
Dealers will look at u like u have 2 heads.

The RWD Fsport models offer so much more enhancements than the AWD models yet are not offered at all.
Old 12-24-13, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
BTW good luck with getting any RWD Lexus in Snow areas.
Dealers will look at u like u have 2 heads.

The RWD Fsport models offer so much more enhancements than the AWD models yet are not offered at all.
Absolutely. Even in MD you cannot get a RWD GS, IS or LS without special ordering. I would have much rather had the RWD since I don't need AWD, especially in 2014 or on the IS where RWD gets you the 8 speed. But...no RWD here. BMW and MB offer the 5 and E here RWD no problem, not Lexus.

But...I love the car and I bought it anyway. As will be the case with the C Class. $2k is nothing. Like RNM said, if you don't like it don't buy the car.
Old 12-24-13, 01:18 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the complaint is really about the C300 then... because the C400 is not an entry-level sedan. Expect the price to be in the $55-65k range.

I think the AWD is a good thing because the new turbo engines put out so much torque, people unfamiliar with how cars actually work could be a danger in inclement weather, when the prior C250 was too anemic to really spin the rear tires.

The CLA is the new entry-level sedan, and guess what? It comes FWD as a base model.
Old 12-24-13, 04:41 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ no way the C400 would be 55-65K... I will probably start at 41K for the RWD and 43K for the 4matic. With options is another story.

Just as another variable, its a shame that people will be buying more 4matics in terms of mpg and the extra environmental impact

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread