Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 09:45 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I believe it's already on sale as a 2014 in Europe and it'll make its way to the US later this year as a 2015
Winner.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I was literally just thinking that. Perhaps we can name is something like:

2014/2015 (W205) Mercedes-Benz C-Class Reviews
No thanks.
Old 03-13-14, 09:47 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I've never really understood the whole 60/40 bench seat thing in a sedan, I've never had a need for one. Of course, I've always had another vehicle to haul things in.
There are times when 60/40 would be a godsend. The times I didn't have my Explorer (gave to sister for college), all I had was my IS. A few years ago when I was deep into modding I remember getting so angry because the trunk fit a single tire, and I had three tires and four wheels in the cabin

Old 03-13-14, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Yeah I would say you needed it then!
Old 03-13-14, 11:10 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never really understood the whole 60/40 bench seat thing in a sedan, I've never had a need for one. Of course, I've always had another vehicle to haul things in.
You answered it yourself. Europeans generally only have one car for all their needs, and so they understand the versatility that the 60/40 split folding rear seat provides, so they plan and design the body structures from the beginning to maintain the integrity and rigidity they want, while maintaining the option for the seats to fold.
Old 03-13-14, 01:08 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

New C-class looks awesome. The interior is really classy. Lexus, it's time for IS refresh.
Old 03-13-14, 01:18 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by cino
New C-class looks awesome. The interior is really classy. Lexus, it's time for IS refresh.
The new IS just came out and the interior is phenomenal. I'm a benz guy at heart but the new IS is top notch!
Old 03-13-14, 01:31 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by chris2k5
I like how Mercedes is staying true to what they are as a brand.

Unlike other car makers (ahem Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac) they aren't trying to emulate the BMW 3 Series (or what it was back in the day). They are doing what Mercedes is all about since day 1.
True that.
Old 03-13-14, 04:09 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Interior looks really nice and lots of tech, front view camera too. Lexus is way behind in tech. But the back looks outdated with the ugly tail lights.
Old 03-18-14, 10:39 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Mercedes C-Class review, price and specs
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...and_specs.html
The new C-Class looks like a miniature S-Class, and drives like one too. Should the BMW 3-series be worried?

How does it drive?

It doesn’t just look like a miniature S-Class, it drives like one too. Mercedes’s dynamic mission has clearly been to bring back the waft, and the new C-Class feels very different from the last one – more solid, but less involving. It’s a recipe that may well play well with those bored of the ‘schportiness’ of the BMW 3-series and Audi A4, but it’s not made a great driver’s car.

You can’t fault the level of engineering behind the C-Class’s effortless real world demeanour. At low speeds it’s a proper mini-limo – smooth, quiet and extremely well-damped. At motorway velocities it’s very nearly as silent as the S-Class, and although the four-cylinder engines have to be worked hard to produce their best, all cruise quietly. It’s a great place to spend a long journey.

But get the C-Class onto more demanding roads and it quickly proves its not interested. The new electric power steering system is accurate but completely devoid of feel – a real shame given how nice the steering of the last C-Class was. The automatic transmission is very slushy in its default ‘comfort’ setting, but too aggressive when switched to ‘sport’ or ‘sport plus’ in cars with selectable dynamic modes. There’s no proper manual mode either – you can choose your own gear with steering wheel paddies, but after about 10 seconds the system switches back to drive.

And there’s no longer even the pretense of being able to turn the stability systems off any more – in the last C-Class you could at least select a ‘sport’ mode that allowed a modest amount of slip. In this car there’s nothing: for all the difference rear-wheel drive makes to the car’s dynamic behaviour it might as well send power to the front axle.

Both diesel engines are predictably reluctant to rev, although they deliver plenty of mid-range grunt. The C200 petrol actually seems to enjoy a decent pasting, although the car we drove blunted its efforts through the very tall gearing of the standard manual box (with second gear running to 70mph.)

The C-Class supremely comfortable and reasonably rapid, but it’s not at all exciting.

How does it compare?

As you’d expect given the ferocity with which battle is raged in the premium segment, the C-Class is priced close to its obvious rivals. The C220 Bluetec SE is £590 more expensive than the BMW 320d SE and £465 more than the Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE Technik – with Mercedes claiming the difference is justified by more standard kit.

Anything else I should know?

We had a brief drive in the turbocharged V6 C400 4-Motion - sadly a version that won't be coming to the UK. It's a brilliant engine - smooth, powerful and with a lovely sound to it - but there's no more life in the chassis than in the four-cylinder versions.

Supremely comfortable, relaxed cruiser, economical four-pots

Inert chassis, numb steering, lacks performance versions

Rating:
Old 03-18-14, 07:54 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

high expectations?

can you have cruiser comfort and sport handling at the same time?

I'm sure it doesn't drive like a boat, and on the city streets and highways, do you really need sport?
Old 03-18-14, 09:17 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I like this car except for these few issues;

*Ugly exterior

*Pop-up screen

*The base 4-pot isn't as good as other boosted 4-pots. In fact I would label it as a rubbish motor.

The V6 would probably cost an arm n leg

Last edited by yowps3; 03-18-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 09:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

A rubbish motor and you haven't even driven it? LOL
Old 03-18-14, 10:10 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Ugly exterior? Ill give you the nav screen, but I think a majority of people like the way the S class looks and therefore think that the C class is a fine looking thing.

Not sure how this 4 pot is inferior to other 4 pots in its class as it churns out 30 more lb ft than the 328i and practically the same hp
Old 03-18-14, 10:13 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

A rubbish motor and you haven't even driven it? LOL
Does it not have the same engine as the current C250? I drove the C250 before my IS350 and it had a bad powertrain to say the least.

And C250 isn't even the base!
Old 03-18-14, 10:27 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

No, the current C class is a 1.8 liter engine and the new one is a 2.5

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread