Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Dodge Dart GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 02:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Dodge Dart GT

2013 Dodge Dart GT

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-2107060/

Engine: 2.4L I4
Power: 184 HP / 177 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Drivetrain: Front-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3297 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 13.1 CU FT
MPG: 23 City / 33 HWY
Base Price: $20,995
As-Tested Price: $23,875

My younger brother bought a Dodge Dart earlier this summer. It's a basic SXT, in Maximum Steel Metallic, with the 2.0-liter engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and not a whole lot else. Unfortunately, at the time, the Dart was one of the few cars in the compact class I'd never driven. I didn't know a lot about it, and therefore, didn't have a lot to say when he bought it. I think the words "based on an Alfa," popped out when I first saw it.

As it turns out, he's grown quite fond of the dark gray sedan, so it was with some degree of enthusiasm that I paid him a visit in this bright-orange Dart GT. I was excited to see what it was about the Dart that he enjoyed so much, despite my tester featuring a different engine, transmission and a lot more tech. After a week with the car, though, I must say: I don't quite see what all the fuss is about.

Driving Notes
  • The GT receives the most powerful engine in the Dart line – a 2.4-liter four-cylinder complete with 184 horsepower and 171 pound-feet of torque. Mated to the buyer's choice of a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic, it's easy to imagine that the Dart's on-paper performance is more than adequate.
  • That said, this is a thrashy, buzzy and generally unlovable engine. Peak torque arrives at 4,800 rpm, or about 1,700 rpm south of redline, meaning it needs to be pushed to really deliver its grunt. This wouldn't be a problem were it not for the largely unpleasant noises coming from under the hood and out the back. It sounds like Dodge attempted to engineer a sporty soundtrack for the 2.4, but the resulting audio comes across as too rough.
  • Despite having to push the engine harder than I'd like, fuel economy was right around the 27-mile-per-gallon combined rating promised on the window sticker. The 33-mpg highway rating seems rather lofty, though, as the majority of my drive time was on the highway. Of course, if fuel economy is really your concern, you'll be better served by either the base 2.0-liter or 1.4-liter turbocharged four.
  • The other issue with the Dart's powertrain was my tester's six-speed manual. For starters, the shift ****'s size sits somewhere between a tennis ball and a softball, meaning that even for someone with large hands like me, it's difficult to get the right kind of grip on it. Follow that up with overly long, almost Jeep-like throws for the shifter, and a clutch with too much travel and a vague, difficult-to-find catch point, and the 2.4/6MT combo is shaping up to be one we'd avoid.
  • The ride/handling of this sportiest Dart are somewhat unimpressive with regard to the general compact class. If you happen to value handling and feedback, we can't help but think you'd be better served by the Mazda3, as the Dodge feels rather disconnected both in terms of the chassis and steering. It isn't uncomfortable, though. The ride feels reasonably composed over rough sections of road and doesn't porpoise about if things do get bumpy.
  • If you're just looking for the class-exclusive or class-leading features, the Dart GT is a solid choice. We mentioned a few of them already, but they bear mentioning again: Chrysler's UConnect system is really one of the best touchscreen setup in the game (if not the best), both in terms of responsiveness and sheer size and clarity. The 8.4-inch display is, simply put, a must-have if you're considering not just the Dart, but any Chrysler Group product. The other options, like a heated steering wheel and the reconfigurable dash are just plain cool at this price point. That TFT display in the instrument cluster is a ridiculously pretty way of displaying normally boring stuff like trip and fuel economy data.
  • Ignore the optional goodies, though, and the cabin is merely par for the course. It's not as well done as a Ford Focus or Hyundai Elantra, but aside from some of the harder, scratchier plastics, it's not a terrible place to spend time. The leather on the seats is rather cheap feeling, and I'm wondering how well it will age (to be fair, this is true of a lot of leathers used in the compact segment). Backseat space is solid, so long as Shaq isn't parked in the driver's seat.
  • Pricing for the Dart GT starts at a reasonable $20,995 and will automatically net owners a set of stylish 18-inch, five-spoke wheels, the more potent engine, push-button start, a power driver's seat, the 8.4-inch display (sans navigation), heated seats and steering wheel, the reconfigurable dash, sport suspension and satellite radio. From there, the options list is relatively slim. Owners can add navigation to their touchscreen display for a very reasonable $495, swap the silver wheels for hyper black wheels for an extra $395, or fit a $995 Sun/Sound package that adds a nine-speaker Alpine stereo and a sunroof. All in, my car totaled a tidy $23,875, including $995 for destination.
  • There is much to recommend about the Dart, particularly if you're clamoring for the latest batch of automotive tech. Its huge central display and gorgeous TFT screen in the instrument cluster are markedly better than what's in the rest of the class, making the Dart the obvious choice for the tech savvy. Those who prioritize ride and handling, however, are likely to be better served elsewhere. The Dart's middling driving character is overshadowed by newer enthusiastic offerings like the Mazda3, while those who value a bit more comfort and refinement will be better served with a Ford Focus or Chevrolet Cruze.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/16/2...ew-quick-spin/
Old 12-16-13, 06:33 PM
Hoovey689

They need to drop the 9-speed auto from the Cherokee into this. That 23/33 is a bit of a far cry from some of the Dart's competitors
Old 12-17-13, 07:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually think it looks pretty cool, too bad looks aren't everything though.....they shoulda put just a tad more effort into it...overall powertrain is weak, mpg too low, etc.
Old 12-17-13, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There was supposed to be a Dart R/T (or SRT), with more power, but apparantly those plans have been shelved.
Old 12-17-13, 08:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how when the Dart debuted, it was the darling of the press and a "real threat" to Civic, Corolla, etc.

Sadly for Dodge, it's been all downhill since then...
Old 12-17-13, 08:55 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rental with this engine, a Caliber I think, and I can confirm that the engine is indeed terrible, very thrashy, and completely gutless at anything below 4000rpm. Yeah whatever they were trying to achieve when they designed this engine, they failed miserably.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 12-17-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 09:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Funny how when the Dart debuted, it was the darling of the press and a "real threat" to Civic, Corolla, etc.

Much like the class above it, the Dart exists in an extremely competitive set. What was once a real threat has no been placed into midpack by players that really brought their A-game. Hell, the Kia Forte is arguably one of the best compacts in its class but sells even less than the Dart.
Old 12-17-13, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I had a rental with this engine, a Caliber I think, and I can confirm that the engine is indeed terrible, very thrashy, and completely gutless at anything below 4000rpm. Yeah whatever they were trying to achieve when they designed this engine, they failed miserably.
Engine(s) aside, the Dart is so far ahead of the Caliber in general refinement and build quality that the Caliber can't even see its taillights. You're talking light-years dfference. The Caliber (and its last-generation Jeep Compass platform-twin), were, IMO, public embarassments to the auto industry.
Old 12-17-13, 12:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

yep, sadly shows how media is out of touch with reality.
Old 12-17-13, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There was supposed to be a Dart R/T (or SRT), with more power, but apparantly those plans have been shelved.
Would have been nice to see a R/T version with 200hp to rival Civic Si
Old 12-18-13, 01:29 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-18-13, 02:25 PM
Hoovey689

^^ pretty fair review I'd say
Old 12-18-13, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Even with relatively weak engines, given the huge improvement in quality and refinement this car has over the former (and admittedly substandard) Dodge Caliber, it should be selling in larger numbers than it currently is. I think that many of its potential buyers aren't even looking at it, but scooping up Chevy Cruzes and Ford Focuses instead. Some people may be so turned off by the Caliber that they may not think that Chrysler can atone for its past sins. Well, IMO, it already HAS.......not only with the Dart, but with several other of its newer products as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-07-14, 11:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lackluster Dodge Dart Sales Trigger Temp Layoffs

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/06/d...ffs-belvidere/