Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Best handling" car(or truck) you have owned????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 11:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The best handling car was my wifes 335 coupe, until it got killed by Sandy. I'm currently driving a Mazda 3 sedan, and I'd say its the second best handling car I've had - better than a highly modified Civic I had back in the days. It can take a turn surprisingly well for a fwd econobox, with virtually no body roll.

Worst handling would be my work trucks - Ford Econoline and Dodge Ram.

On another note, I want to mention high speed stability. While cars like 3 series, mazda 3 and other agile, sporty cars may be very tossalbe and light footed in sharp turns, they don't inspire much confidence at speeds over 100mph. Get these little cars to these speeds, and everything becomes shaky, noisy, bumpy, steering input is way oversensitive - just makes for a scary experience. On the other hand, if you take a proper luxury sedan - it can be far stable at high speeds. My old LS400, 745 and my parents S500 were just excellent in those situations, especially the S500. Simply the best high speed cruiser I've ever driven. It flies at 120mph on the highway and inspires nothing but confidence. You can easily change lanes at those speeds, take light bends and curves, and road imperfections don't phase it at all. Amazing machine.
Old 12-28-13, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The best handling car was my wifes 335 coupe, until it got killed by Sandy. I'm currently driving a Mazda 3 sedan, and I'd say its the second best handling car I've had -.
No arguments there. I had three of the Mazda3's predecessors....a GLC, Mazda 323, and Protege. All three were excellent, though the GLC was built before power steering was all but mandatory on the series (mine had the manual steering-rack), and it not not had good handling (though a somewhat slower ratio) but superb steering/road feel as well. The Mazda3, of course, continues that trend, though, by my standards, the ride is a little stiff on some versions.
Old 12-28-13, 10:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

#1- 08 612 Scaglietti (incredible handling and I've only been in Comfort and Sport modes, haven't had the opportunity yet to use Race)

#2- 90 Nissan 300ZX (Shawnmack described his as feeling like it was on rails, that is exactly how I used to describe it)

#3- 95 Infiniti Q45a (the "a" stood for active suspension, for a full size car this thing would run circles around anything in its size class, I loved that car and regretted when I had to give it up last year)
Old 12-29-13, 03:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
On another note, I want to mention high speed stability. While cars like 3 series, mazda 3 and other agile, sporty cars may be very tossalbe and light footed in sharp turns, they don't inspire much confidence at speeds over 100mph. Get these little cars to these speeds, and everything becomes shaky, noisy, bumpy, steering input is way oversensitive - just makes for a scary experience
I have not had the opportunity to get the E90 much over 90mph, but my old E46 was incredibly stable at 100+, with the exception of high crsosswinds making it a touch floaty. But other than that, it drove exactly the same. In fact, my old saying about that car was "The only difference between 40 and 140 is wind noise". I once had it up to its top speed of 158 on some curvy backroads in Canada, and it handled great (this was with the stock non-sport suspension, not the upgraded stuff I put on years later).
Old 12-29-13, 07:44 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I've only owned three cars. My first car was a stock integra which was a hand me down with over 100k miles and though light, the steering was so loose that its a non contender.

My 2nd car was my modified IS250 with super wide wheels which handled like a dream (to me) until I got this... hands down the best handling car I've ever driven, or owned, and probably ranked among one of the best in the world

Old 12-29-13, 09:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I have not had the opportunity to get the E90 much over 90mph, but my old E46 was incredibly stable at 100+, with the exception of high crsosswinds making it a touch floaty. But other than that, it drove exactly the same. In fact, my old saying about that car was "The only difference between 40 and 140 is wind noise". I once had it up to its top speed of 158 on some curvy backroads in Canada, and it handled great (this was with the stock non-sport suspension, not the upgraded stuff I put on years later).
Well it's not so much that the 3 series is unstable at high speeds - but its just not comfortable at those speeds. At those speeds the drivetrain is felt too much inside the cabin/steering, due to its light weight it doesn't feel well planted to the road, short wheelbase results in a bumpy ride, but the biggest gripe is the steering - while quick steering is great for sharp turns, its way too over sensitive at high rates of speed.
Old 12-30-13, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
while quick steering is great for sharp turns, its way too over sensitive at high rates of speed.
Most modern power steering systems (basically, since the 1970s) have a variable-ratio rack which is supposed to take care of oversteer problems as the wheel is moved farther off-center. I don't see where the E46 and E90 would be any different. The best power-stering systems (and BMW has always excelled in hydraulic-units, until the electric units replaced them) also take vehicle road-speed into account in determining ratio/power assist, although, of course, tha system in expensive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 09:22 AM
b33troot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best handling car I've owned - 02 Corvette z06. Lowered with Hotchkis sway bars, c5 z06 shocks and 335 tires in the rear. Honorable mention goes to my Honda S2000.

Most fun car I've owned - 1996 Ford Ranger. Sounds dumb but when I lived in Nebraska I took this thing out on the dirt roads and drifted around all the corners and just generally drove the hell out of it. It was like being in Mariokart. To that trucks credit, it never had any problems.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOL at some of these lists. It sounds like people are just listing out all the cars they've owned. Ford Explorer? Cadillac Brougham? Buick Regal? Toyota Tacoma? Dodge Dakota?
Confused by this also. I think some people are just listing every vehicle they have owned.
Old 12-30-13, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

it's interesting some here have said that something other than their 'hottest' car is the most fun car they've owned.

i knew when i drove someone's 911 turbo one time on public roads that i had no interest in owning one. it's so fast and capable, you can only use 1/10th of the car's capabilities on public roads unless you want to endanger your own life and others. like any enthusiast i've not been a 'model' driver all my life or anything, but i've realized when a vehicle is just too much for public roads, and like many, i find driving a more mundane vehicle more spiritedly is way more fun!

heck i find when friends and family take my golf cart round the neighborhood or on my property they always have the biggest grin ever on their faces!

i was recently driving a slug-like 3 cylinder 1.2L skoda with 5 speed stick on winding country roads, and it was a load of fun!
Old 12-30-13, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i knew when i drove someone's 911 turbo one time on public roads that i had no interest in owning one. it's so fast and capable, you can only use 1/10th of the car's capabilities on public roads unless you want to endanger your own life and others.
Older 911s were notorious for being tail-happy. Having most of the vehicle's weight in back paid its price in classic oversteer, particulary drop-throttle oversteer in sharp corners. Many a careless or inexperienced 911 driver found himself in a ditch....or worse. Later improvements in suspension, tires, steering, AWD, etc....greatly lessened that tendency, as, of course, the advent of traction/stability control.

i was recently driving a slug-like 3 cylinder 1.2L skoda with 5 speed stick on winding country roads, and it was a load of fun!
Where did you get a chance to drive a Skoda? They are not sold in the U.S. They are primarily a Euro (Czech)-brand, a VW/Audi division.
Old 12-30-13, 04:42 PM
AKoopa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best handling car I have ever owned has got to be my Mazda Rx8. Perfect weight distribution. Handled like a Porsche.
Old 12-30-13, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Older 911s were notorious for being tail-happy. Having most of the vehicle's weight in back paid its price in classic oversteer, particulary drop-throttle oversteer in sharp corners.
the one i drove wasn't old - maybe 2009? it was extremely stable, balanced, and easily handled (and of course has all the electronics to keep all but the stupidest moves in check).

Where did you get a chance to drive a Skoda? They are not sold in the U.S. They are primarily a Euro (Czech)-brand, a VW/Audi division.
this was in england. i drove it for 2 weeks (rental). skoda is nothing like the (crap) brand of old, having been transformed in quality and image by vw. skodas are actually respectable now still, the one i drove, while entertaining, was loud on the highway (mostly road/engine noise), and very slow, but it's always fun to 'wind out' a slow car with a stick shift on twisty roads!
Old 12-30-13, 06:56 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata brand new, that was the best handing car I've owned. I also had a 1998 Mustang Cobra with a bunch of suspension mods done to it, handled awesome but it rode pretty damn rough, and loud due to heim joints in the rear suspension, at the end of the day it wasn't near as well-balanced as the Miata though, not even close.
Old 12-30-13, 07:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i knew when i drove someone's 911 turbo one time on public roads that i had no interest in owning one. it's so fast and capable, you can only use 1/10th of the car's capabilities on public roads unless you want to endanger your own life and others. like any enthusiast i've not been a 'model' driver all my life or anything, but i've realized when a vehicle is just too much for public roads, and like many, i find driving a more mundane vehicle more spiritedly is way more fun!
I agree that most of us especially in high population areas cannot come close to using a high performance car's capabilities on public roads.

However, I would still prefer my mundane Ferrari to a spirited Skoda!
Old 12-30-13, 10:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
However, I would still prefer my mundane Ferrari to a spirited Skoda!
haha, agreed you're a lucky person!!!!

Quick Reply: "Best handling" car(or truck) you have owned????