Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Ten most difficult cars to currently negotiate on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default The Ten most difficult cars to currently negotiate on.

Intelligence-insulting TV dealer-ads aside, do you want a good deal right now without haggling like a Middle Eastern Bazzar? Then it's probably best to avoid these ten U.S.-market vehicles right now. They are selling, on the average, for only two to six percent off their list-prices (not including post-sale items like extended warranties, service-contracts, accessories, LoJack, etc...).

10. Ford Fusion
9. Honda CR-V
8. Mazda3
7. Toyota RAV-4
6. Subaru Forester
5. Mazda6
4. Honda Fit
3. Acura MDX
2. Jeep Grand Cherokee
1. Toyota Corolla

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/worst-n...8538&kgal_back

Here's the article/slide show with the details, though the article's primary numbers don't always agree with those in the explanations, and it also fails to point out that all Scion vehicles sell at 100% full-list, per company policy, regardless of supply and demand. (Of course, Scion sales are like Saturn sales used to be....they don't require any bargaining, except for trade-in value on your old car and maybe for financing). Also, here in the D.C. area, despite their expense and unreliability (sometimes triple-digit prices, plus a mark-up), dealerships can't keep the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport in stock...virtually every one that comes off the truck is pre-sold.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-25-13, 06:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

10. Ford Fusion
9. Honda CR-V
8. Mazda3
7. Toyota RAV-4
6. Subaru Forester
5. Mazda6
4. Honda Fit
3. Acura MDX
2. Jeep Gran Cherokee
1. Toyota Corolla
I don't think people will avoid these as they are in the top 10 best selling cars annually
Old 12-25-13, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think people will avoid these as they are in the top 10 best selling cars annually
Well, that's just the point. If you want a hot-selling product, it might cost a premium.

Selling price, though, is not simply determined by demand, but also by supply in relation to that demand (you would certainly know that from your own auto-dealer experience). That is probably why we don't see the ubiquitous Camry, Accord, F-150, and Silverado on the list. There is enormous demand for all four of these products each year, but, even so, the assembly-plants are able to crank out enough vehicles each year to meet that enormous demand, thereby helping keep the selling price down.

Take the new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, for instance. Demand for these two is probably nowhere near as high, nationally, as the popular vehicles on that Ten list. But the main difference is that, in the D.C. region, for example, Land Rover simply cannot supply enough vehicles to meet what demand there currently is for them (or an unsold one for me to review) Therefore, there are significant dealer markups on these already expensive vehicles that can go for 100K or more even without a markup. Thats probably just one of the signs of a relatively high-income area like mine.....a lot of people like expensive things, and are willing to pay for them.

BTW, knowing you are a Ford fanboy, I can understand the demand for the new Fusion, and it being on the list. Except for the MyTouch/SYNC system, it is a superb-driving mid-sized sedan....IMO better, in some ways, than the new Camry or Accord. Among American-badged sedans, IMO, only the Verano, LaCrosse, Impala, 300/Charger, and CTS can compete with it in overall competence. (not even its own Lincoln MKZ brother, which IMO is disappointing). We'll see how the new Malibu stacks up, though....I haven't revewed it yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-13 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-25-13, 09:45 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that the brand-spanking new Corollas are flying off the lots. Have seen tons of them on the road already, and the dealership that I live across the street from has a good supply. So yes, they're a hot-seller. The first few months of a brand new car are never a good time to try and get a deal though.... duh.

Ditto on the Grand Cherokee. Yes, have been spotting tons of these too.
Old 12-25-13, 11:56 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Recently purchased a 2014 Honda CR-V , sticker was $27,125 a mid-range EX model, after back and fourth talking was able to get it $24,000 OTD. I suppose I got an okay deal.
Old 12-26-13, 03:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

^^^ sounds like a smoking good deal.
Old 12-26-13, 10:54 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

bitkahuna, I think they gave us a good deal, because they knew we had just came from their sister dealership next door Millennium Toyota, looking at the RAV4 which didn't generally impress me it honestly left me a little disappointed, didn't drive any better than the previous generation to me which my friend let's me drive all the time, also felt noiser and ride rougher than the Honda.
Old 12-27-13, 11:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds about right to me
Old 12-29-13, 04:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have heard personally of people having issues dealing on the CRV and MDX here in South Florida, but no so on the other vehicles.
Old 12-29-13, 05:55 AM
LexFather

Maybe I live in an alternate universe but there are no issues getting those cars, there is ample supply and ample incentives especially this time of year. Maybe depending on region/area there are less deals but those are pretty easy to come by.

Now try to find that 650 or S550….negotiations are tougher…

As Mmarshall stated, forget about the Range Rovers, especially the Sport….there is a 3-6 month wait and they sell OVER sticker as soon as they land, if they even stay in the states as tons are being exported….

Really weird list...

Old 12-29-13, 07:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Maybe I live in an alternate universe but there are no issues getting those cars, there is ample supply and ample incentives especially this time of year. Maybe depending on region/area there are less deals but those are pretty easy to come by.

Now try to find that 650 or S550….negotiations are tougher…

As Mmarshall stated, forget about the Range Rovers, especially the Sport….there is a 3-6 month wait and they sell OVER sticker as soon as they land, if they even stay in the states as tons are being exported….

Really weird list...
I agree.
Vehicle deals are amazing.At least in my NYC metro area.
I know many people that have gotten great deals on Honda,Toyota,Lexus models in the last month or so.
Just about every auto manufacturer model is being highly discounted.
Old 12-29-13, 08:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

this is probably based off some research company least incentives list, without any rare luxury cars (basically standard vehicles).... it is averaged out, so while someone always gets the big deal, on average these are the lowest.
Old 01-02-14, 12:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

What I see more often here in South Florida is people going to more rural areas to pick up deals on vehicles, like getting a vehicle in the Florida Keys or SW Florida instead of trying to play around with pricing locally. I saw the same behavior in Mexico and had friends and family members by outside the Mexico City metro area and save several thousand pesos in the process .
Old 01-02-14, 03:37 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised the Corolla is on there. One of my sisters always gets it below invoice pricing. Maybe it is just due to Socal's competitive pricing.