Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

great article on why u.s. doesn't get wonderful hatchbacks available elsewhere...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 10:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Unless I'm mssing something we have never had more Hatchbacks here and many sell well. We even have luxury hatches selling well.
luxury hatchbacks and the fastbacks you mentioned sell in minuscule numbers.

stupid u.s. regulations means hatchbacks aren't as inexpensive here as they should be.

in europe, every other car is a SMALL non-luxury hatchback.
Old 01-05-14, 10:38 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The USA and North American market in general have been seen more and more hatchbacks these days.

Back then, a Geo Metro was associated as being GARBAGE HEAP.

But with the introduction of the likes of the Fit, Yaris and etc., hatchbacks are starting to gain popularity there.

The Nissan Versa also helped widen the appeal for hatchbacks and now they've just introduced the Versa Note MPV.

Granted there may be some obstacles (i.e. Audi does sell the new A3 in hatchback form in the US.......and MB sells the CLA but they do not sell the A Class Hatchback and BMW does not sell 1 series hatchbacks stateside), but other than that, the hatchback market for the US is growing.

Just my opinion
Old 01-05-14, 11:05 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the US government ever introduce a proper excise on fuel (like most other Western nations), and your fuel prices starts matching up with the rest of the world, you'll see a rapid rise in the availability of hatchbacks in the US
Old 01-06-14, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
If the US government ever introduce a proper excise on fuel (like most other Western nations), and your fuel prices starts matching up with the rest of the world, you'll see a rapid rise in the availability of hatchbacks in the US
why would stiffing consumers (especially hard on the poorest) be 'proper'?
Old 01-06-14, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I think you're actually talking about the 550i GT, not the 850i. The last 8-series was an amazing sports coupe in the late 80s. The 550i GT is a 5-door hatchback based on the 7-series platform. It's an amazingly roomy and practical car. I have not driven one, but I'll take your review that it is a damn fine ride as the gods-honest truth.

Sorry...my bad. You are correct.

Thanks for the good catch. 550GT it is (or rather, was)

Yes, I don't know which car I enjoyed driving more.....the 550GT or the Jaguar XK supercharged convertible (I did both cars in special Holiday reviews). The 550 GT (which, despite the moniker, was actually done on a 7-series platform and drivetrain) was having your cake and eating it, too (luxury, power, handling, refinement, and the tactile BMW steering all inone package). And the only way to describe driving a supercharged Jag XK was like dating a supermodel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-14 at 10:19 AM.