Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How is Lexus doing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 06:54 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^ Lincoln MKZ
I think all Audis look horrible IMO
Old 01-03-14, 07:03 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe lexus didn't go wrong anywhere. They simply adapted to meet costumers needs/wants and I think it's working. I wouldn't have bought a lexus if they were still following their "roots", because they wouldn't have offered what I needed/wanted.
Old 01-03-14, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dc893
^^^^^^ Lincoln MKZ
Have you driven a new MKZ? I recently reviewed one (and the Ford Fusion), and didn't find the MKZ very impressive. To me, the Fusion was a nicer car...at a lower price.

One good thing, though, about both the Fusion and MKZ is that the Hybrid versions of both cars have the same base price as some of the regular gas versions.

I think all Audis look horrible IMO
Agreed on the too-large Audi grilles. But it's hard to argue, though, wth Audi paint jobs, quality interior materials, and fit/finish....they are one of the industry standards.
Old 01-03-14, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I believe lexus didn't go wrong anywhere. They simply adapted to meet costumers needs/wants and I think it's working. I wouldn't have bought a lexus if they were still following their "roots", because they wouldn't have offered what I needed/wanted.
True, they adapted to what some of the new customers (like you) wanted. But at the same time, especially with some of their sedans, they forgot a number of their traditional customers....those for whom the Lexus "Pursuit of Pefection" is not the "Pursuit of Sportiness".
Old 01-03-14, 07:34 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, they adapted to what some of the new customers (like you) wanted. But at the same time, especially with some of their sedans, they forgot a number of their traditional customers....those for whom the Lexus "Pursuit of Pefection" is not the "Pursuit of Sportiness".
In my opinion and from what I've seen, that some=most. I remember when most people I knew wanted only a luxurious, quiet and comfortable ride. Now most want a sportier ride and I believe that's why lexus chose to take this direction. Times change and so do people. Like someone else mentioned before, you can't please absolutely everyone but aim for the majority.

BTW, I'm not new to lexus, it's just that my wants changed.
Old 01-03-14, 07:58 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had Mexican food for lunch yesterday and Thai today; oddly enough, they tasted nothing alike!
Old 01-03-14, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you driven a new LS or GS or any Lexus? You make it sound like they are harsh and ride bad. If you want a less sporty ride you don't have to get an F-Sport.

Years ago Lexus stated they knew they had to go sportier without alienating their loyal fans. Thus far the strategy has worked. Of course some people left the brand.

It's getting a little old and tiring hearing the same complaints about Lexus from people without a new Lexus and with no intentions of buying one. You dont like it, that's fine. Obviously this place is filled with ACTUAL OWNERS that are HAPPY with their direction.

Old 01-03-14, 08:22 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i have no idea why you are comparing IS350 to A7. talk about apples and oranges

Lexus is doing fine. I think GS is the weakest link. it's been the weakest link for a while IMO. fix GS and lexus will be fine.
Old 01-03-14, 08:23 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

As for the rest of your post, I think that Lexus is just not the best brand for you anymore.
I'm thinking that too about the OP.

My thinking about Lexus is the complete polar opposite to yours (yowsp3) : the all the recent changes to Lexus couldn't come fast enough-- the huge upgrades to driving feel/enjoyement/handling--trumping the Germans I have to say, the exciting distinct design langauge, more full fledged F-models etc.

If anything, I hope Lexus pushes harder,further and faster down the current path that they're taking.

The fact that they are losing you as a customer who valued their old ethos shows that Lexus' new plan of appealing to a different mind-set of customers is succeeding.
Old 01-03-14, 08:43 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I might be in the minority here, but I am not a fan of the so-called "beauty" of Audi's. Sure, they are amazing inside (my brother-in-law has a '09 TT) but I think they are overrated. As to Lexus changing their game up, there will always be people who complain about what direction they are headed in. I personally think this new direction they are headed in seems great. Not everyone will be a fan, but as a fan since day 1, I think they are evolving nicely. Hate the spindle grill or not, but I think giving character and an identity is what Lexus needed. Can't please everyone, so tough.
Old 01-03-14, 09:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I don't think they've gone wrong. I dislike the choices when it comes to interior cost cutting, but seeing the course correction in that department at Toyota I'm sure its not far behind at Lexus. Styling changes I like, dynamic changes I like.

As you can see from my sig, I've been around Lexus for 16 years. My first experience with the brand came with the model that was the quintessential Lexus of the 90s, the LS. We had the two most comfortable, quiet, well made Lexus sedans probably ever made. Are they different from the GS I have now? Sure. Would I trade my GS to have the 98 or 04 LS back? No.

I think my GS rides great, while being incredibly fun to drive. It doesn't ride hard or loud at all, it glides down the highway and everybody who rides in it comments on how nicely it rides. The LS was certainly softer...but it was softer handling too.

The LS is still very soft, refined, and detached from the road...that option is there for people. The ES is still a ride oriented car, that option is there. As someone who prefers a great riding car, I love the way the GS rides.

Sales are doing great, something close to up 15% from 2012...how can anyone say they've gone wrong?

If you like the Audi better...buy the Audi. I drove the A7 and A6 before I got the GS, I liked them both. Personally I would buy the A6 over the A7, I found the A7 a little rough around the edges and I don't like the hatch. The A6 is a great car, but its nowhere near as interesting a car as the GS, nor as nice inside. The A7 is more stylish, but its basically the same car just $10k more.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 11:31 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Really - what luxury automakers rushed to make hybrids????

MB / Audi / BMW / Cadillac - please tell me a hybrid model they offer currently.
Luxury hybrids dont sell PERIOD.

We will see how BMW does with their new i brand of plug-in electrics - i have my doubts.

LaFerrari, 918Spyder and Mclaren are not hybrids in the true sense of using it for being fuel efficient. BTW they only cost $1MM+.
BMW have a hybrid for every sedan line they have.

MB does too.

Audi are introducing hybrids.

Cadillac are a non-player outside of the US.

Porsche have hybrid Panameras and Cayennes, and no doubt the Macan will probably have a hybrid variant too.
Old 01-03-14, 11:37 PM
Nights
Pole Position

And to the OP (yow); as a fellow Aussie, why would you compare the latest gen A7, to your previous gen IS. Not only is the BASE A7 with zero options ticked retails for $137k AUD (compared with $65k AUD for the current gen IS350), but even a more apt comparison would be with the GS450h which in top spec form (every option taken), which sells for $125k AUD. It's like apples and oranges.

And let's not even get into the Audi reliability issues...
Old 01-04-14, 01:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights

MB does too.

Porsche have hybrid Panameras and Cayennes, and no doubt the Macan will probably have a hybrid variant too.
Umm i was referring to a Hybrid only model - like the Lexus CT and HS.

None of those available hybrid trims are significant and have made ZERO impact on overall sales.
That was my whole point. - Nobody cares about Luxury Hybrids thus far!
Old 01-04-14, 01:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights

MB does too.

Worldwide, probably a lot of Lexus sales are hybrids... around 30% most likely, around 10%-15% of it from USA, even if they dont have IS300h/GS300h in US.

With IS300h/GS300h/NX300h, Lexus hybrid sales will probably grow to 50% of their worlwide sales in 2014/2015..

Quick Reply: How is Lexus doing?