Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How is Lexus doing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 05:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is wrong with Lexus' current direction and products? I love them, and I think Lexus is still making what they are renowned for: stylish, elegant, extremely reliable, luxurious, and comfortable. Now even sportiness are injected into the formula. I love Lexus. Audi, on the other hand, are simply making the whole lineup one single design, what is so good about Audi anyway? But, to each their own.
Old 01-04-14, 05:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I believe 75% of hybrids sold in the US actually comes from Toyota.
>64%... in the world, it is >80%-90%.

These numbers have to fall as more competition comes to the market. Hybrids are growing double the rate of the industry for USA 2013, and probably a lot more worldwide thanks to Toyota models in Europe and Honda models in Japan.

Since everyone is adding more hybrids, Toyota share will drop for sure but their overall hybrid sales will go up year after year... I think it is pretty amazing that they probably sold >1.5m hybrids in 2013 alone.
Old 01-04-14, 06:12 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus has had ZERO success with hybrids in terms of sales.

That was my whole point. - Nobody cares about Luxury Hybrids thus far!
You're simply incorrect. Lexus offers and still sells many luxury hybrids...

RX 450h
HS 250h (still offered and sells in Japan and Asia) http://www.lexus-int.com/models/HS/
CT 200h
ES 300h
IS 300h
GS 300h
GS 450h
LS 600h/600h L

In the future we'll get:

RC 300h
NX 300h

Even talks of a hybrid LX...

Last edited by Trexus; 01-04-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 06:38 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

While I can't say that Lexus went wrong (cuz the numbers prove otherwise), I am sad that the current lineup just isn't what I'm looking for in a luxury brand anymore. Having owned a GS400, SC400, and RX400h, I once thought I would be "Lexus for life" with a fleet of their vehicles in my collection. Now, IMO the design language (grill) looks too trendy, like the brand is trying too hard to catch the eye. The old models never stood out as sharply as the current models but rather delivered a luxurious, quiet-but-confident look that I loved, much like my current Aston.

My wife drives a GLK, another sharp design, but who would call it ugly? From the opinions I've gathered, the new Lexus design language has been polarizing at best. I feel like Lexus is in a transition period, similar to the Porsche 996 with the ugly headlights, which were corrected with the arrival of the beautiful 997 model.

I miss the old Lexus, but I know that it is not coming back. Brands must embrace change to survive. A pre-spindle LS600hL with exec seating will be the last Lexus that I buy....or a Tesla Model S if the hype ever dies down.
Old 01-04-14, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
My wife drives a GLK, another sharp design, but who would call it ugly?
I actually think the GLK is one of the uglier cars on the road right now, and certainly the ugliest Mercedes I've seen in a long time. Its misproportioned looking to me. Terrible interior IMHO...ugh.
Old 01-04-14, 07:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

We recently cross shopped GLK, X3, Q5 and RDX and couldn't get past the exterior styling of the MB. We liked the upgraded interior of the 2013 GLK though. Just shows beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-04-14, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You wound up in the Q5 right Bob? Would have been my choice as well.
Old 01-04-14, 07:29 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I actually think the GLK is one of the uglier cars on the road right now, and certainly the ugliest Mercedes I've seen in a long time. Its misproportioned looking to me. Terrible interior IMHO...ugh.
Uglier than a current model RX? I suppose we must agree to disagree.
Old 01-04-14, 07:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You wound up in the Q5 right Bob? Would have been my choice as well.
Yes, we got the Q5.
Old 01-04-14, 08:27 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Look at the sales that "prove" Lexus is on the right path. The RX350 and ES350 are way more than the total Lexus sales. The LS460 is at the bottom of the big sedan sales market. Without the sales of the "flagship" sedan, the luxury appeal of the RX will die. Us older buyers that buy the new cars have been ignored by Lexus and Lincoln, and Cadillac. Hyundai and KIA may have captured this market. True, in 20 years we will be gone, but those who follow us will tire of the noisy, rough riding new cars. The LS 460 is pretty marginal for comfort and the GS350 is a total fail as a luxury car. What works for me? The S550, the Equus, and probably the K900. How many will I buy? At best 4 in the next 8 years.
Steve

Last edited by oldcajun; 01-04-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure where the RX came from since the GLK and RX aren't competitors (the RX is larger) I'm not an RX fan, but the RX refresh looks better with the spindle grille, and it looks better in the F Sport trim.

Personally I think the RX is more attractive than the GLK, but I wouldn't consider either good looking. I thought the 2010-2012 RX was ugly, I would consider the 2013-2014 RX okay looking. I'd buy an RX, I wouldn't buy a GLK.

The GLK is less ugly after the refresh, but IMHO putting the new more rounded look front on the angular body of the GLK doesn't work, doesn't work on the refreshed E either.

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Look at the sales that "prove" Lexus is on the right path. The RX350 and ES350 are way more than the total Lexus sales. The LS460 is at the bottom of the big sedan sales market. Without the sales of the "flagship" sedan, the luxury appeal of the RX will die. Us older buyers that buy the new cars have been ignored by Lexus and Lincoln, and Cadillac. Hyundai and KIA may have captured this market. True, in 20 years we will be gone, but those who follow us will tire of the noisy, rough riding new cars. The LS 460 is pretty marginal for comfort and the GS350 is a total fail as a luxury car. What works for me? The S550, the Equus, and probably the K900. How many will I buy? At best 4 in the next 8 years.
Steve
I don't even know where to start this post is so ridiculous LOL.

First off, the ES and RX have ALWAYS been the undisputed sales kings at Lexus.

The LS460 you must remember is a second time over refreshed car, going up against cars that have been completely redesigned TWICE while the current LS has been out. The LS this year was only about 500 units shy of the S Class' (the undisputed big luxury car king) sales in 2012...and 2,500 units shy in 2013...thats with the all new S Class out for the last 5 months of the year...and remember all the variants of the S Class...theres a V6, theres a V8, theres a hybrid, theres a high performance AMG version. The 7 Series beat the LS by 200 units. Again...lots of different variants, theres a V6, V8, hybrid, LWB, SWB, Alpina. The LS outsold the A8 and XJ handily....remember they also have V6 models, diesels, SWB, LWB...the LS has a SWB, a LWB, and a hybrid.

So the LS is in third place, and the gap between third and second is 200 cars, or 1.8%. Remember...the LS has been around since 2007. Hardly "bottom of the market", and as far as I can recall the LS has typically been second to BMW and Mercedes.

Here are the sales figures:

S Class: 13,303
7 Series: 10,952
LS: 10,727
A8: 6,300
XJ: ~ 6,000

Large luxury car sales have fallen sharply since the recession and have not come back.

As for comfort, the LS is as it has always been a very comfortable car. Where is there any review that says the LS is short on comfort?

As for the GS being a "failure of a luxury car"? LOL, what? The GS has won every comparison test they've done, and has given Lexus the handling crown off of BMW's head. Thats a huge achievement. I've owned 4 of the most comfortable sedans Lexus has ever made, and my GS is my favorite Lexus by far. Its smooth, quiet, fun to drive. The most comfortable out of all of them IMHO.

You "older buyers" are the past, not the future. Us younger buyers (who are perfectly capable of buying these cars new by the way, plenty of us) are the future. Sales figures show that...sorry to be blunt but people buying the IS today are going to be buying the GS and the LS long after you are gone.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-04-14 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 08:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure where the RX came from since the GLK and RX aren't competitors (the RX is larger) I'm not an RX fan, but the RX refresh looks better with the spindle grille, and it looks better in the F Sport trim.

Personally I think the RX is more attractive than the GLK, but I wouldn't consider either good looking. I thought the 2010-2012 RX was ugly, I would consider the 2013-2014 RX okay looking. I'd buy an RX, I wouldn't buy a GLK.

The GLK is less ugly after the refresh, but IMHO putting the new more rounded look front on the angular body of the GLK doesn't work, doesn't work on the refreshed E either.
The GLK has always been a polarizing design. I personally like it (but I like the Audi Q5 more) but I can see why people think it looks like a gussied-up Subaru Forester.

As far as the RX goes, it was news to me a while back that some people consider it as competition to the cute-ute class. 'Tis the curse of a vehicle that is a bit of a 'tweener. There was a Car and Driver competition a few years ago that compared the GLK350, Q5, XC60, RX350, and X3.
Old 01-04-14, 09:03 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
While I don't agree that Lexus is faltering in anyway, I'm with the OP in that it is no longer a brand for me. There doesn't seem to be a car in the lineup I want to purchase. I sold my beloved 1993 SC300 late last year and will be in the market to replace it in a year ortwo and will be looking at the S-Class coupe. I hope Lexus will have a large grand tourer by then. The current lineup seems like they are trying too hard, but at the same time not trying hard enough.
LF-LC will be here in 2015 as a 2016MY, so if you can hold off that long, I think it's worth a consideration. Based on everything I've heard from Lexus, it'll certainly be more sporty than the past SC models, though.
Old 01-04-14, 09:04 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I see them every day. They lack a little something, I mean the shape is decent, but outside the form factor it's just yawn yawn yawn.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

a7 is bit vanilla, but i find rs7 one of the best looking car on the road.

looks so mean

i just find this very unique.

and interior is just total awesomeness.
Old 01-04-14, 09:43 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Steve
Yup, you sure are old with that type of mentality

Quick Reply: How is Lexus doing?