Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which car would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 11:30 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of the cars your considering this would be the order i would choose from.

1. 2014 GS350
2. 2014 CLA 45 AMG
3. 2014 BMW335i
4. 2015 C350
5. 2014 AUDI S4
Old 01-05-14, 01:11 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

To the OP : when you mention performance, it seems that you're looking more at straight-line accleration.

In that case, one of the turbo/supercharged German cars would be for you.

If you're looking for tight handling and better steering feel, you should consider the IS350 F-Sport or GS350 F-Sport. Both Car and Driver and Road and Track ranked the IS350 F-Sport as NUMBER ONE in the compact executive sedan segment largely due to its combination of great handling,engaging steering and luxury.
Old 01-05-14, 07:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

CLA45 looks and sounds like a pile of crap. Lousy interior, nasty exhaust, nav looks like someone glued a Garmin on the dash, 4 banger, all for the bargain price of 60-65k. Buy a C63 instead if you are interested in a performance Benz or better yet wait for the 2015 C class redesign

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-05-14 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 07:49 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonChang
Really? Is BMW that worthless to buy as a car to drive? Or is it just a car that is fun to drive but need works done on the way with it? Damn nice! congrats! I wonder how did he made up his mind to get a used fast car? is it CPO? or is it from a local car seller? I don't really wanna concern about those type of used car because who know how they been abused? Is it worth the money? or it depends on the condition? And second question what is so turned down on the performance by making the 335i electrical steering? Thanks!!
They're still awesome handling cars, but the whole thing with BMWs was the intimate road feel, and the outstanding chassis backing it all up. There's a confidence that you get when driving now older BMWs that just encourages you to push and enjoy the car, because they communicated what exactly they were doing at all times so well. All of that is gone now, with the completely numb electric steering. You can't feel a damned thing, which is sad. They've also softened up the brakes a lot because Americans complain too much about brake dust, so the solid braking feel is gone too, unless you opt for an M-Sport model. They're still great cars, just different animals now. If I was buying another new German car, I'd rather try an Audi or Benz on for size than another BMW.
Old 01-05-14, 09:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
They're still awesome handling cars, but the whole thing with BMWs was the intimate road feel, and the outstanding chassis backing it all up. There's a confidence that you get when driving now older BMWs that just encourages you to push and enjoy the car, because they communicated what exactly they were doing at all times so well. All of that is gone now, with the completely numb electric steering. You can't feel a damned thing, which is sad. They've also softened up the brakes a lot because Americans complain too much about brake dust, so the solid braking feel is gone too, unless you opt for an M-Sport model. They're still great cars, just different animals now. If I was buying another new German car, I'd rather try an Audi or Benz on for size than another BMW.
I think u really need to drive the new Bimmers that have the PASSIVE Msport suspensions with RWD.

The steering is not as perfect as the E-generation cars but if optioned the right way the still deliver that ultimate driving experience.
Personally i couldnt be more satisfied with my 2013 F10 535i Msport - its by far the best car I owned.

Again i dont like the current BMW Direction of softening the dynamics but equipped the right way they are still Great. Please test drive the 4series - i think u will like it.

Also while msrp prices are high - if u lease the price is not bad due to high residuals.
Old 01-05-14, 11:08 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

1. 2014 GS350 F-sport
2. 2014 AUDI S4
3. 2014 BMW335i
*. 2015 C350 - no comment on this one yet
*. 2014 CLA 45 AMG -- it look like a Hyundai to me.
Old 01-05-14, 01:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonChang
Thanks bro! Do you think S4 has a good amount of aftermarket parts then others? I think I would have to get rid of CLA in this list, I totally agree with your statement on it's being too one-dimensional.
Yes. Outside of the 335i, the S4 has the most active aftermarket out of the other cars you listed. Between ECU tunes and suspension mods you can really make that car perform at a very high level. I'm not a huge Audi fan but I really respect the S4.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
CLA45 looks and sounds like a pile of crap. Lousy interior, nasty exhaust, nav looks like someone glued a Garmin on the dash, 4 banger, all for the bargain price of 60-65k. Buy a C63 instead if you are interested in a performance Benz or better yet wait for the 2015 C class redesign
Yet the reviews for it have all been positive.
Old 01-05-14, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yup. And we don't have any info on the 2015 C350 (C400?) so saying it has reliability issues is a nonstarter.
No, I disagree that it is a non-starter. It's true that future reliabiity can't always be predicited (as we saw with the 2006 Camry), but past C-class models had more than their share of reliability issues.
Old 01-05-14, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The CLA45 AMG only comes with 4Matic
That would make sense. Funneling all that torque into a FWD compact drivetrain, even with good chassis engineering, would probably cause enough torque steer to yank the wheel right out of one's hands.
Old 01-05-14, 04:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I disagree that it is a non-starter. It's true that future reliabiity can't always be predicited (as we saw with the 2006 Camry), but past C-class models had more than their share of reliability issues.
Care to expand? I know of the pre- facelift C300 4-matic models having issues but haven't heard anything else out of the W204 platform lineup worth noting.
Old 01-05-14, 07:00 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

spend more and get an RS5 or Vette
Old 01-06-14, 08:39 AM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

1. bmw 335i
and second choice gs350
Old 01-06-14, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

jason, you keep mentioning rear seat room, but the reality is most anything with decent rear seat room isn't going to be that much fun unless it's big bucks (like a panamera ).

335, c350, s4, is, none of those has a lot of rear seat room (c350 prob best?).
gs350 would be fine, but now it's a big car, so not as much fun (although good handling anyway).

i think the cla45 is one butt ugly car, so i'd pass on that one.
Old 01-06-14, 08:53 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think u really need to drive the new Bimmers that have the PASSIVE Msport suspensions with RWD.

The steering is not as perfect as the E-generation cars but if optioned the right way the still deliver that ultimate driving experience.
Personally i couldnt be more satisfied with my 2013 F10 535i Msport - its by far the best car I owned.

Again i dont like the current BMW Direction of softening the dynamics but equipped the right way they are still Great. Please test drive the 4series - i think u will like it.

Also while msrp prices are high - if u lease the price is not bad due to high residuals.
That's part of my "problem" with all of the newer Bimmers.

Great steering, great brakes, great handling, and an Inilne-6 used to be STANDARD on every BMW model. Now you have to option up to super pricey models just to get a car that still doesn't drive as well as older models, and classic phenomenally good BMW steering cannot be had at any price.
Old 01-06-14, 08:55 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
jason, you keep mentioning rear seat room, but the reality is most anything with decent rear seat room isn't going to be that much fun unless it's big bucks (like a panamera ).

335, c350, s4, is, none of those has a lot of rear seat room (c350 prob best?).
gs350 would be fine, but now it's a big car, so not as much fun (although good handling anyway).

i think the cla45 is one butt ugly car, so i'd pass on that one.
The current F30 3-series passes my "sit behind yourself" test no problem. There's tons of room for my 6'3" carcass both in front and in back, and unlike the E90 generation cars, ingress and egress to the back seats is a lot more workable for me now. Wouldn't have any problems sitting in the back of one for quite awhile if needed. The C-class and Audi A4 were tiny in comparison, but the NEW C-class is supposed to be roomier, and I'd assume the soon next-gen A4 will be as well. I see the F30 3-series as the true heir and replacement to the E39 5-series.

Quick Reply: Which car would you choose?