Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mystery Lexus GS based test mule

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 01:17 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
BMW Grand coupe looks the best to me.. No way Lexus gonna touch that.. lol (Flame suit on....)
sorry... i have to agree 6 Series is the best thing on the road today under $150k
Old 01-08-14, 02:11 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Did you save the image by any chance?
No. It didn't occur to me at the time to save an image. It was just something drawn up using mspaint lol It was just showing different body styles that I, as a consumer, would be interested in.
Old 01-08-14, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Not sure how GS could survive with a 4 door coupe in the lineup. Between ES and a hypothetical CLS-fighter, I think GS would either die or have to become that model itself.
Very good point.

Human nature is to compare and put meaning to things. As it stands Lexus has always disrupted our need to positon their sedans against the competiton. Let's face it, the Germans have built their stables around a template of core sedans ie 3, 5, 7, C, E, S, A4, A6, A8 and expanded to say CLA, A3 etc. Then you have IS, ES, GS, LS and for all intensive purposes HS and ?S (4-door coupe).

To me the ES has always been the odd duck. IS, GS, LS are perfect, but the price of the ES is bothersome to the IS as well as undercuts the GS despite them being 1in apart in length, but also because of it's existance is a main reason the GS does not sell in bigger numbers. Mercedes sells droves of E-Class because they are able to work suspension and chassis magic to build a car that is supple yet can take a curve. Lexus would rather you choose between ES or GS rather than merge the two with the best attributes of both. Throw in the HS (which should have been a ESh in the first place) and now we have a lot of overlap.

A benefit however of the ES is that it has carved out a niche, but it's competition is not what Lexus wants you to think it is - they say C-Class and CTS. Reality is it's a Lacrosse, S80, TL and MKZ competitor.

But this mystery 4-door coupe is interesting nonetheless and beckons the question what is to become of the Lexus sedan line. Do you add, edit or remove from the current stable
Old 01-08-14, 04:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Well said - I agree.
Old 01-08-14, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

What does FWD 40k ES have to do with $60k low numbers GS Coupe?

GS Coupe would be done for prestige, not to compete with ES... it would do small numbers, just like 6 series 4 door does very small numbers.

It is there so you can wow people and then sell them more ES's and RX's. Just like germans do with their even crappier A1's.
Old 01-08-14, 04:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
What does FWD 40k ES have to do with $60k low numbers GS Coupe?

GS Coupe would be done for prestige, not to compete with ES... it would do small numbers, just like 6 series 4 door does very small numbers.

It is there so you can wow people and then sell them more ES's and RX's. Just like germans do with their even crappier A1's
Good post,

But that's the German way of thinking (I personally don't mind it and if it means a ?S 4-door coupe then so be it!). With the exception of the GS (rumored to get canned before 4th Gen), poor selling Lexus's usually always get put to pasture. It correlates with the ES because Lexus likes to have purpose and meaning while others like to put out vehicles like the X6, ZDX, GLA etc.. and scramble for markets not yet defined. I'm waiting on the day the Ultimate Driving Van comes to play
Old 01-20-14, 10:40 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spied: Is Lexus Developing a Four-Door Coupe?

An unusual Lexus prototype has been spotted by Japanese magazine Mag-X, here it is from three angles:

Despite wearing the front-end of what looks like a GS F SPORT, the long hood and short trunk suggest something else entirely — could Lexus be working a four door coupe to complete with the Mercedes CLS & Audi A7?

It would certainly make sense — Lexus has been expanding the lineup with the RC coupe and the upcoming NX compact crossover, and a four-door coupe would fit very well into the brand’s DESIGN focus.

(For anyone interested, the full page from Mag-X included after the jump.)

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/01/2...pe/#more-16931
Old 01-20-14, 11:06 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why doesnt Lexus just built a GS coupe instead. better yet how about a two seater Mercedes SL fighter
Old 01-20-14, 02:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looks like a me too vehicle coming from Lexus. Everyone has a 4 door coupe. Now its time for Lexus to have one.
Old 01-20-14, 02:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think I would rather see more sports cars and coupe from Lexus
Old 01-20-14, 02:31 PM
LexFather

It makes sense.. An additional 400-800 units a month from existing architecture. It would be great to add ones of these to the Lexus lineup.

I would hope for a hatch aka A7 and Panamera.. Would love the utility... ��

Another idea is it is a LWB GS for the Chinese market.

Old 01-20-14, 08:44 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

If it does end up being a 4 door coupe I wondering what they are going to call it? I like my original guess, CS?
Old 01-20-14, 08:50 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks really boxy for a "coupe" lol ...
Old 01-20-14, 09:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
It makes sense.. An additional 400-800 units a month from existing architecture. It would be great to add ones of these to the Lexus lineup.

I would hope for a hatch aka A7 and Panamera.. Would love the utility... ��

Another idea is it is a LWB GS for the Chinese market.
Lexus is imported into China, so high taxes, etc, low sales, etc, no LWB for China :-)

I think you are correct about it being something like A7.
Old 01-20-14, 09:41 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
looks like a me too vehicle coming from Lexus. Everyone has a 4 door coupe. Now its time for Lexus to have one.
Damn straight it's time, if anything they're quite late to the party. Hopefully they don't botch the styling.

Quick Reply: Mystery Lexus GS based test mule