Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

China's BYD pledges to sell cars in America in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 11:51 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts
Default China's BYD pledges to sell cars in America in 2015

China's BYD pledges to sell cars in America in 2015

Chinese automakers have been making noise about entering the North American market for years, stretching back a decade or more. A combination of factors – from the disjointed nature of the Chinese auto industry to lingering quality issues – have kept that from happening, but the day when Chinese cars roam the Great American Road may finally be upon us.

Following aborted efforts by such automakers as Geely and Great Wall, it's BYD that appears to be leading the charge this time. The company backed by investor Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate is now targeting 2015 – just a year away from now – to start selling cars in the United States. It wouldn't be the first time BYD has talked about entering the US market, though. It previously targeted an American launch in 2010, only to end up missing that target. Following a three-year restructuring plan led by its billionaire chairman **** Chuanfu, however, BYD is looking to be in better shape.

The company already has a presence in North America, selling electric buses, and is preparing to begin manufacturing them in California within the next few months.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/09/b...a-2015-report/
Old 01-09-14, 01:16 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring Your ___________?
Old 01-09-14, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

the tsunami is approaching...
Old 01-10-14, 12:50 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Reminds me of those really old Honda Odyssey's that didn't have sliding rear doors
Old 01-10-14, 06:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the tsunami is approaching...
why? Chinese cant sell well in China, not sure why would they sell well in western world.
Old 01-10-14, 07:28 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't consider a Chinese car at the moment...............because they're not yet at the level of Korean cars. Heck, even Taiwanese cars (Luxgen) or Malaysian cars (Proton) are still better than China cars.

In short, China cars still need to improve more. Maybe by year 2020, we'll see how much they've improved....
Old 01-10-14, 08:21 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I wouldn't consider a Chinese car at the moment...............because they're not yet at the level of Korean cars. Heck, even Taiwanese cars (Luxgen) or Malaysian cars (Proton) are still better than China cars.

In short, China cars still need to improve more. Maybe by year 2020, we'll see how much they've improved....
I wouldn't even look at the Hyundai or Kia. In the future, I might, but Chinese car ? I am afraid they will got wind blown to pieces at Highway speed
Old 01-10-14, 09:04 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I wouldn't even look at the Hyundai or Kia. In the future, I might, but Chinese car ? I am afraid they will got wind blown to pieces at Highway speed
China car atm seems like same level as India car (like Tata Nano).

The body will probably disintegrate at speeds beyond 100 km/h (or 62 mph)
Old 01-10-14, 11:32 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
China car atm seems like same level as India car (like Tata Nano).

The body will probably disintegrate at speeds beyond 100 km/h (or 62 mph)
LOL...Wise Minds think alike

These, and also Smart car. When I see them, I see moving coffins. Because there is no Crumple zone whatsoever, that if somebody hit you, you will suffer.....if not better death opportunity......the Firer Fighters will have a hard time sawing, cuting some metal parts without taking out a piece of ya
Old 01-10-14, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
why? Chinese cant sell well in China, not sure why would they sell well in western world.
i said tsunami is approaching, not that it's here. at one time, japanese and korean cars were junk too.

as for india, of course tata now owns jaguar and land rover, both now producing excellent vehicles.

it's only a matter of time. the numbers (people and money) are overwhelming. it will probably be a chinese electric car that becomes the first hit.
Old 01-10-14, 11:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Gov crash test results should be interesting.
Old 01-10-14, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Gov crash test results should be interesting.
If they can even pass. I don't think my 2IS would even pass these days
Old 01-10-14, 12:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

i said tsunami is approaching, not that it's here. at one time, japanese and korean cars were junk too.

as for india, of course tata now owns jaguar and land rover, both now producing excellent vehicles.

it's only a matter of time. the numbers (people and money) are overwhelming. it will probably be a chinese electric car that becomes the first hit.
well, as I said before, they dont sell well in their own country, i am not sure why would this change... why would it only be matter of time when they dont have their own market to rely on? Russians went to space and never built a good car.

Tata is utter crap. They just invested in money, like chinese did to Volvo, they dont make those cars... Tata's own cars are not good at all.
Old 01-10-14, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, as I said before, they dont sell well in their own country, i am not sure why would this change... why would it only be matter of time when they dont have their own market to rely on? Russians went to space and never built a good car.

Tata is utter crap. They just invested in money, like chinese did to Volvo, they dont make those cars... Tata's own cars are not good at all.
i wouldn't be surprised to see chinese money just buy an established brand at some point. tata is utter crap by our standards probably because their cheap cars are going for the domestic indian market which has so little discretionary income (for hundreds of millions of people anyway). i know they offer a model with no airbags, etc.
Old 01-10-14, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

tata is utter crap by our standards probably because their cheap cars are going for the domestic indian market which has so little discretionary income (for hundreds of millions of people anyway). i know they offer a model with no airbags, etc.
I assume you're referring to regular Tata-designed vehicles sold in Asia. Don't forget, they (now) own Jaguar and Land Rover...bought both them from Ford. Even with their (admittedly) sub-par reliability, both brands are quite impressive.

Quick Reply: China's BYD pledges to sell cars in America in 2015