Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A3 so Cheap ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 09:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
The PR does list the pano roof as a standard feature as quoted above. Quite a good value vs. the CT.
heh, i was wondering about that... so i priced it out, fully optioned 2.0t is $45k. So, S3 will be how much? over 50k easily?

Base spec has manual air conditioning but panoramic roof.
Old 01-17-14, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
heh, i was wondering about that... so i priced it out, fully optioned 2.0t is $45k. So, S3 will be how much? over 50k easily?

Wow that's a weird bundling
Old 01-17-14, 11:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, I don't like their bundling....
Attached Thumbnails Audi A3 so Cheap ?-capture.jpg  
Old 01-17-14, 02:31 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and of course, the options list is segregated according to the trim level you start with.
Old 01-17-14, 02:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow that's a weird bundling
it does have xenons and roof... but then it has manual ac :-)
Old 01-17-14, 04:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

it does have xenons and roof... but then it has manual ac :-)
as I said, weird

You'd think with all those features it'd have a dual zone climate control
Old 01-17-14, 06:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Options are numerous, but weird indeed. Shift paddles only if you get the sport package. Yet the sport package doesn't list a lowered suspension, like it's always consisted of. No beige interior option. Trip computer is standard (about time), but only in color when you pony up for the nav system. Also no mention if the tailpipe tips are chrome or bare metal. Lastly, no wood trim is offered. That is a mistake for this class.

When you option out a moderately built unit, it's too close to the price of an A4. I see some conflict here. A3 should start a grand and a half less.

The biggest negative is this new car gives the next A4 all the right to become more expensive, effectively knocking potential fans out of the que. Same can be said as a secret and underlying negative for those who are eyeing a C-Class or 3-series. The next class up is just going to be more out of reach with these tweeners coming into play.
Old 01-17-14, 06:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure it's not just single zone auto climate? A top of the line Corolla comes with auto climate....
Old 01-17-14, 06:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

When you option out a moderately built unit, it's too close to the price of an A4. I see some conflict here. A3 should start a grand and a half less.

The biggest negative is this new car gives the next A4 all the right to become more expensive, effectively knocking potential fans out of the que.
Same can be said as a secret and underlying negative for those who are eyeing a C-Class or 3-series. The next class up is just going to be more out of reach with these tweeners coming into play.
It's not a "right", it's a privilege... That is exactly where Audi is going--but they are just following the crowd...
Old 01-17-14, 06:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Are you sure it's not just single zone auto climate? A top of the line Corolla comes with auto climate....
it says manual on audi web page... in europe, base Corolla and Auris come with auto climate control :-)
Old 01-17-14, 06:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Options are numerous, but weird indeed. Shift paddles only if you get the sport package. Yet the sport package doesn't list a lowered suspension, like it's always consisted of. No beige interior option. Trip computer is standard (about time), but only in color when you pony up for the nav system. Also no mention if the tailpipe tips are chrome or bare metal. Lastly, no wood trim is offered. That is a mistake for this class.

The biggest negative is this new car gives the next A4 all the right to become more expensive, effectively knocking potential fans out of the que. Same can be said as a secret and underlying negative for those who are eyeing a C-Class or 3-series. The next class up is just going to be more out of reach with these tweeners coming into play.
isnt the back seat smaller than 2IS in A3 sedan? If so, they really did limit it that way.
Old 01-17-14, 08:01 PM
LexFather

It is odd since the FWD CVT A4 is pretty cheap and leases pretty well. We all know though the Germans are chasing volume and going into any segment. The A3 IMO will be a huge hit as Audi can't miss right now.

Old 01-18-14, 03:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's not a "right", it's a privilege... That is exactly where Audi is going--but they are just following the crowd...
I don't like it. A fast one is being pulled over the public and no one is talking about it. The 3, C, and A4 are all going up a notch in price and becoming out of reach for many past customers who bought those. The new 2, CLA, and A3 are not equivalants to the last generation 3, C, and A4's. They are equivalants to 3 or 4 generations ago. Peddling these new cars as the same as yesterday's 'next class up' is a falacy. Those who pick these new cars are getting the equivalant of what was being sold twenty years ago, size and class-wise. This does nothing to help people stay in a class of cars they want to be in.
Old 01-18-14, 05:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't like it. A fast one is being pulled over the public and no one is talking about it. The 3, C, and A4 are all going up a notch in price and becoming out of reach for many past customers who bought those. The new 2, CLA, and A3 are not equivalants to the last generation 3, C, and A4's. They are equivalants to 3 or 4 generations ago. Peddling these new cars as the same as yesterday's 'next class up' is a falacy. Those who pick these new cars are getting the equivalant of what was being sold twenty years ago, size and class-wise. This does nothing to help people stay in a class of cars they want to be in.
Make more money?

You're right though, that is what's happening. I'm OK with that given the growth of cars. Take the F30 for example, it's about as big as the E39 now.
Old 01-18-14, 06:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Car companies have been doing this for years. Remember that 10 years ago, the CTS was the entry level Caddy--just one example.

Quick Reply: Audi A3 so Cheap ?