Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your favorite "domestic" car/truck you've owned . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 04:17 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1990 Eagle Talon AWD....quick and sure footed.
Old 01-12-14, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that 60s muscle-cars can bring a strong sense of nostalgia. I grew up with them (always liked Road Runners and the 1970 rubber-front-end GTO myself, though late-60s Chrysler products were very poorly built).

But, in my experience, once one experiences modern steering/braking/suspension systems, electronic fuel-injection, breakerless ignition systems that don't need regular tune-ups, form-fitting seats instead of flat-slabs, clearcoat paint that doesn't need constant waxing, precise assembly-quality, and a number of other recent improvements, one usually does not want to go back to half-century-old technology.

But, man, did those big, heavy, softly-sprung 60s-era luxury cars RIDE nice. That's the one thing from that era I DO miss.
actual rubber?
Old 01-12-14, 04:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I guess my favorite domestic I've owned would be the only domestic car I've owned. It was a 2001 Saturn SL2. Nothing spectacular, but a 5 speed manual, sunroof, and CD. It was my first ever brand new car. I drove it for almost 5 years and 105k miles. I did have a few minor issues with it, but nothing major. I loved the car. Much of that probably is due to the fact that it was my first brand new car. I traded it in on a 2006 Scion tC, which ended up being a bit of an ownership nightmare.
Old 01-13-14, 06:48 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

It would be between a 1979 Corvette and a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix. In between these two I had a 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe that I liked as well. Then I got married and did not need the bait so I sold the Corvette, and took a job where I had a company car which was a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville sedan. Since then, other than a couple of GMC Yukons and my current pickup, I have purchased principally Acura, Volvo, and Lexus.
Old 01-13-14, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

it's great to see stories of mostly trouble-free domestic vehicle ownership... gets a bit old hearing that 'detroit' only makes junk.

and all 3 (gm, ford, chrysler) are now making great quality vehicles. yes, the global market, and in particular japanese brands can be thanked for raising the bar!
Old 01-13-14, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
actual rubber?
Pontiac's term for it was "Endura". It was a company-patented rubber/vinyl compound (I don't know the exact chemistry of it)

The 1970 GTO's front-end, IMO, was the best-looking of all the GTOs, and it, of course, had the most extensive use of that material.

My best friend in high-school (and car-buff buddy)'s family won a brand-new, base-model, light green, 400 c.i. / 350 HP GTO with air-conditioning and 3-speed Turbo-Hydra-Matic transmission in a local give-away contest at a Pontiac dealer just a couple of blocks away. He and I had a lot of fun in that car, and really enjoyed riding in it...but we were both more sensible and careful than the average teen-age driver, and never abused the car. We were both impresed with how well it was built and its fit/finish level (yes, I was reviewing cars even back then), especially compared to the sloppy assembly and poor fit/finish of the Chrysler and AMC vehicles of the time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and all 3 (gm, ford, chrysler) are now making great quality vehicles. yes, the global market, and in particular japanese brands can be thanked for raising the bar!
.......................and, after them, Hyundai and Kia.
Old 01-13-14, 11:16 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truck.... 2013 GMC Sierra Denali

Faster than most people think, drives more sporty than I hoped for, end of the production for that model so seems most bugs have been worked out so its trouble free, a good tow rig, great in the snow and fits 4 people pretty well.
Old 01-13-14, 04:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pontiac's term for it was "Endura". It was a company-patented rubber/vinyl compound (I don't know the exact chemistry of it)

The 1970 GTO's front-end, IMO, was the best-looking of all the GTOs, and it, of course, had the most extensive use of that material.

My best friend in high-school (and car-buff buddy)'s family won a brand-new, base-model, light green, 400 c.i. / 350 HP GTO with air-conditioning and 3-speed Turbo-Hydra-Matic transmission in a local give-away contest at a Pontiac dealer just a couple of blocks away. He and I had a lot of fun in that car, and really enjoyed riding in it...but we were both more sensible and careful than the average teen-age driver, and never abused the car. We were both impresed with how well it was built and its fit/finish level (yes, I was reviewing cars even back then), especially compared to the sloppy assembly and poor fit/finish of the Chrysler and AMC vehicles of the time.

Thanks for history lesson
Old 01-13-14, 05:41 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a 1997 Explorer 4x4 XLT. Had the 4.0 OHV motor, bought new, put 130k miles on it. No issues, other than regular maintenance. It was a beast in the snow, had Michelin LTX M/S ties on it, and I drove through 8 inches of unplowed snow one night thanks to a day time snow storm. Never slid once, and was going by countless cars in the ditch.
Old 01-14-14, 04:48 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Aron9000 - love your old Cadi - classic!
Its funny, because I love that old boat as well, if it didn't have that damn sunroof that leaked and rattled, I'd still own that car, doing a gradual restoration on it.

The funny thing is I owned a 1995 Fleetwood, and really just did not like it. It drove/handled like a barge compared to my 91. Plus the interior looked very cut rate. It looked like a Chevy Caprice at best, with all that fake wood, it was not anywhere near as nice as my 91 Cadillac.

Granted that 95 Fleetwood was "fast" with its 260hp/330lb-ft torque LT1 V8. Granted I did love the exterior styling, but looking at the inside, it was a sad sea of cheap plastic, minivan huge dashboard dimensions, fake wood, and poorly assembled materials.

Still, from the outside, with its bright red paint, no vinyl top, 17" Impala SS wheels with custom Cadillac center caps, it looked the part IMO.