Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acuras new threat

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 02:02 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never been a fan of Acura styling. Their SUVs are on point though.

Far as the 2IS vs 3IS goes... I absolutely loved my 2IS. The accident I had was the only thing that could pry me from it. That said, the 3IS is a better car in just about every aspect. Obviously I'd take the butt cooler if given the choice along with the shades holder and the cubbyhole. The wood trim is also nicer than the non-F-sport trim. The 2Is is still a great car, but thinking that the 3IS went backwards is clearly the opinion of someone who does not own a 3IS and merely of someone who simply drove one.
Old 01-17-14, 08:11 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
AWD??? You mean FWD with some power going to the rear when needed? Thats a sorry excuse for a sports sedan. No thank you. Acura please stop building cars using a wrong wheel drive setup!!
Originally Posted by NYKnick101
THIS I WOULD DRIVE!

Is this the new TL?

Dont hate on Honda/Acura, they actually have a REALLY good AWD system. My sister has the TL SH AWD and it its noticeably nicer in weathered conditions while still having all the power there. Front wheels as their main drive instead of the rear wheels as the main drive was honestly better in the snow than my IS. I loved driving the car but hated the styling. It looks like a spaceship
Bob is right, the Honda/Acura AWD setup is a joke. It's very FWD-biased and the proof lies in that the engine is mounted incorrectly (horizontally).

Acura really needs to get their heads out of their asses with the latest offerings. No RWD vehicle is actually really hurting them against the likes of Lexus, Merc, BMW, etc...
Old 01-17-14, 08:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Acura lost their mojo since the demise of the Legend in the later 90s. Things got worse when the Integra got dropped and (in Canada) the Civic-cloned EL was introduced in '98. The new (yawn) RLX will continue to pickup as a failed business case from the prior (bigger yawn) RL, the ILX is just a gussied up Civic, and the TLX, well, I'm not very confident it will do well based on its engineering architecture and rather bland styling. The only vehicle keeping them afloat, (and well deserved), is the MDX and RDX to a lesser degree.
Old 01-17-14, 02:45 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
Bob is right, the Honda/Acura AWD setup is a joke. It's very FWD-biased and the proof lies in that the engine is mounted incorrectly (horizontally).

Acura really needs to get their heads out of their asses with the latest offerings. No RWD vehicle is actually really hurting them against the likes of Lexus, Merc, BMW, etc...
I guess you are being presumptuous in assuming the design and characteristics of the AWD system, since it has yet to be released. Nothing compares to Audis AWD system, but I have driven AWD 3rd Gen TLs and the AWD isn't too bad. It does need some improving, but they claim to have done so.

The overall quality of both Lexus and Acura is great, not really any way to disparage either, so why waste time. Acura traditionally has been priced a smidge under its Lexus counterpart, and Acura has had a tendency over the years to be a bit sportier.

Nobody can comment on its performance since test drives have not occurred yet, but if they improve upon previous designs, I am sure it won't disappoint.

With all that being said, the black photo chopped pic I posted with it all blacked out and lowered does look better than any Lexus, sorry.
Old 01-17-14, 02:54 PM
Slust
Pole Position

That's personal pref ...it looks like it is making a frustrated growl to me.

I'll take the "I'm the Predator bish, get out of my way" look over the frustrated "you bested me" growl look.

It's definitely better looking than their last lineup which looked over bloated with too much paint and no lines.
Old 01-17-14, 02:57 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TLX looks like the outgoing TL but with the jewel LED's the new MDX has. It is attractive IMO.
Old 01-17-14, 02:57 PM
LexFather

The Lexus ES is Camry based and the TL has been Accord based for sometime. 85% sold are FWD, not the AWD models. They also have dropped the manual. While both companies do a great job upgrading the cars from more humble origins the IS is based off the more expensive GS platform and while on paper and on the internet they might be compared, in reality it doesn't happen.

Honda's data shows the cars the TL is most cross shopped with is the Camry and their own Accord and I doubt that changes much.

It seems upgraded with some nice new transmissions and looking at pics I think will sell better compared to the last model which was a sales disaster.

Old 01-17-14, 03:07 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I guess you are being presumptuous in assuming the design and characteristics of the AWD system, since it has yet to be released. Nothing compares to Audis AWD system, but I have driven AWD 3rd Gen TLs and the AWD isn't too bad. It does need some improving, but they claim to have done so.

The overall quality of both Lexus and Acura is great, not really any way to disparage either, so why waste time. Acura traditionally has been priced a smidge under its Lexus counterpart, and Acura has had a tendency over the years to be a bit sportier.

Nobody can comment on its performance since test drives have not occurred yet, but if they improve upon previous designs, I am sure it won't disappoint.

With all that being said, the black photo chopped pic I posted with it all blacked out and lowered does look better than any Lexus, sorry.
Presumptuous?......The six-cylinder is expected to be rated at 285 hp or more, and it's coupled to a new nine-speed automatic. Front-wheel drive is standard, while Acura's torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system will be an option.

Looks better than any Lexus? Maybe your Lexus. Not mine.
Old 01-17-14, 03:11 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Presumptuous?......The six-cylinder is expected to be rated at 285 hp or more, and it's coupled to a new nine-speed automatic. Front-wheel drive is standard, while Acura's torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system will be an option.

Looks better than any Lexus? Maybe your Lexus. Not mine.
Oh don't get your panties in a bunch. However my opinion it is.
Old 01-17-14, 03:23 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Mods perhaps change the thread title as its grounds for debate trouble.

The new TLX concept is a good direction for Acura AND it was fathomed by Acura USA and not Acura Corporate Japan (which the RLX was concieved there) so finally some regional input. Similar to Acura USA and the upcoming NSX. If that's not a big middle finger to Corporate I don't know what is . As it stands, this is an important product for Acura as it also debuts a 9-Speed which at least they won't have to play catchup for another few years . I hope it does well for them. Stiff competiton from everyone means better Lexus's for consumers!

Old 01-17-14, 03:28 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

^^^^^Well said
Old 01-17-14, 03:31 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Red vs Black pictures above

I like how they blacked out the chrome for the Black version, something I think Lexus should have done as well.
Old 01-17-14, 04:18 PM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

A lot of personal opinions and 'forum opinions' regarding the Acura brand. Those are interesting but shouldn't be taken as 'mainstream' opinion.

Mainstream opinion lays in the sales figures and all the car reviews.

The fact of the matter is that all the way up until 2007ish... Acura was a very solid top 1-3 in their TL Segment.

Once again I realize the TL is FWD.. but the segment is 'A4/G/IS/3 SERIES/S60/ etc...

You go on any car ranking site and next to the Audi A4.. the competitor lists Acura TL. Etc
That's their 'segment' and Acura was extremely successful with the 3G.
They were also very successful with the RSX and early years TSX.

Acura will never beat Lexus.. Those days are over. Lexus has firmly establish the brand as an actual Tier 1 Luxury Car with sporty elements.

I was shopping for BMW'S and I asked them what's the COMPETITION for them in America.. and they said 'Lexus/Mercedes'.. 10 Years ago.. they would have said 'Mercedes'.

But the goal of Acura isn't about beating Lexus anymore. Their goal is to simply take back the ground they lost among the Entry Level Luxury Sedan class and to further enhance their SUVS.

Acura was and could be a massive threat to that 33k-40k Range again.
The TL/TLX's primary purpose was to make a splash in that 3 Series range.. they achieved that with the 3g.. and I really feel they will achieve it again with the TLX.
Old 01-17-14, 04:20 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
Red vs Black pictures above

I like how they blacked out the chrome for the Black version, something I think Lexus should have done as well.
I agree. Part of the F Sport package should be blacking out all chrome trim. Although it doesn't look bad around the windows. The spindle grille looks much better with a chrome delete.
Old 01-17-14, 04:36 PM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Everyone here post on forums.............so you guys know a lot more about cars and their performance than the average buyer.

I go to UC Irvine and I know a lot of people from the UC Schools in California.
Most of these students put the IS on a higher status than Acura/G37 simply because of the 'L'.
They don't know **** about performance or 'power/torque' etc Speed/handling etc.

They see the Lexus Brand and it automatically elevate the car.

I can't wait for the day BMW completely falls apart due to corruption and **** mechanics and they seize to exist. I want to see Lexus as the ONLY mainstream Tier 1 Luxury Brand in existence.
I want to replace every Mercedes and BMW with the L.

Quick Reply: Acuras new threat