Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acuras new threat

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14 | 05:11 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tim1988
Everyone here post on forums.............so you guys know a lot more about cars and their performance than the average buyer.

I go to UC Irvine and I know a lot of people from the UC Schools in California.
Most of these students put the IS on a higher status than Acura/G37 simply because of the 'L'.
They don't know **** about performance or 'power/torque' etc Speed/handling etc.

They see the Lexus Brand and it automatically elevate the car.

I can't wait for the day BMW completely falls apart due to corruption and **** mechanics and they seize to exist. I want to see Lexus as the ONLY mainstream Tier 1 Luxury Brand in existence.
I want to replace every Mercedes and BMW with the L.
Spoken like a true fascist.
Old 01-17-14 | 05:12 PM
Hoovey689

Everyone here post on forums.............so you guys know a lot more about cars and their performance than the average buyer.

Most of these students put the IS on a higher status than Acura/G37 simply because of the 'L'.
They don't know **** about performance or 'power/torque' etc Speed/handling etc.

I can't wait for the day BMW completely falls apart due to corruption and **** mechanics and they seize to exist. I want to see Lexus as the ONLY mainstream Tier 1 Luxury Brand in existence.
I want to replace every Mercedes and BMW with the L
Although thats fun to fathom, that would be terrible. Competiton drives better products. If there was nothing for Lexus to compete against, they would get lazy and consumers would get poorer quality products. If you don't have to work hard, you start taking short-cuts. The reason the 3IS, 4GS exist and excel is because they benchmarked the competiton. But don't think the competiton is twiddling their thumbs. There is always someone ready to take the crown and it will always be back and forth
Old 01-17-14 | 06:51 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

I hope Merc and BMW continue to make great cars. And perhaps someday Acura will reclaim some providence. In the meantime, I will enjoy my new Lexus until the next great car from any brand.
Old 01-17-14 | 06:58 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Corruption? Say what? Bimmers may be overpriced but I'm not sure the marque is awaiting criminal indictment. And Tim, as a college student, you should know the difference between "seize" and "cease." Please don't make me lose my faith in higher education.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 01-17-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-17-14 | 07:00 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

While you talk about schools you don;t seem to understand much about competition and how important that is for consumer. In the mean time BMW and Mercedes sell 4/5 times more vehicles than Lexus.

Last edited by keyframe13; 01-17-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-17-14 | 07:46 PM
LexFather

Again, to consumers the TL is most cross shopped with the Accord and Camry. This is according to Honda themselves. So the internet chat is just that, it isn't reality. The reality is the TL/TLX/whatever you call it is mostly FWD, 85% sold are for the ES type buyer but likes Honda's.

There is very minimal cross shopping and Acura is really a Buick competitor at this point lineup for lineup. Surely the TLX will do better than the last model. This is a car that sold between 60-70k in its best days, today it is what around 15-20k? A huge drop for their volume car.
Old 01-17-14 | 10:58 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

the new TLX looks good. the 3is looks good. they BOTH look good. Can't go wrong with either one
Old 01-18-14 | 05:15 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tea
the new TLX looks good. the 3is looks good. they BOTH look good. Can't go wrong with either one
Sure you can. If you leave the issue of aesthetics aside (which is a dead end argument since beauty is so subjective) then it's all bout how the car drives.

It was a late-model Honda product that catapulted me in the direction of Lexus. My wife had a '13 Honda Accord EX-L V6. It's the only car I've driven that makes the crappy steering on the F30 BMW look brilliant. To make the Accord track straight, you had to make constant corrections to the totally numb steering. And you never forgot you were driving a nose-heavy, FWD car. In fairness, the 4-banger Accords got a different steering rack, which I heard was better. But if the steering rack in the '13 Accord V6 finds its way into any new Acura products, I wouldn't go anywhere near the marque.
Old 01-18-14 | 08:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by sincityIS
If you can get that car for say $42000 loaded I say it's a no brainer. The new lexus IS is not as good as pervious generations if you ask me.
Oh don't get your panties in a bunch. However my opinion it is.
Spoken like a true fascist.
We've got a thread for the new Acura here in car chat, let's use that one please. No reason to start one in the 3is forum (moved) other than baiting which seems to be continued in replies.