Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If Leasing never existed, would Lexus dominate BMW Sales by now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 11:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You'd be surprised how big this class of people is. Its not just the self employed, even if you are a W2 paid employee if your job requires you to drive (say outside sales) you can still deduct the cost of a car lease and other vehicle expenses. I know a lot of highly paid sales reps for pharmaceutical companies, industrial product companies...software...etc etc that are W2 employees but lease for the deduction.
You are probably right. And, at the same time, I think we all know of at least a couple of people who just clearly should not be leasing their cars--people who should have known up front they would go over their miles, or have a few kids and lease a minivan that gets beat to shreds, and face stiff turn in penalties.

Leasing is great for some, bad for others, with a whole lot in between. But, it's awesome for the auto industry, and not going anywhere.
Old 01-19-14, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
think we all know of at least a couple of people who just clearly should not be leasing their cars
Leasing is great for some, bad for others, with a whole lot in between. But, it's awesome for the auto industry, and not going anywhere.
Oh absolutely...its not for everybody...and like anything else I'm sure its overused...
Old 01-19-14, 12:17 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Leasing a car is like Netflix. When you're ready for the next one, turn it in
Old 01-19-14, 12:21 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

Utterly bizarre OP and then things got turned up to 11 with some even more asinine posts from the OP...

Who's willing to bet that the vitriol is because the OP got turned down by BMW Financial Services
Old 01-19-14, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Isn't this what it all comes down to? People think, "For $XXX per month, I can drive an Accord or a [FILL IN THE BLANK LUX BRAND]."
Not quite that simple, but, for the most part, the answer is yes.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's because I don't live in the same area as I grew up in, but it seems to me that today, many, many, many more people have an expensive car.
Friend, it's not you at all...or your imagination. You are right on the money (no pun intended) Even in the high-income D.C. area I live in (one of the most well-heeled places in the country) leasing basically keeps premium/upmarket car dealerships in business.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
If leasing never existed,luxury automakers would probably be out of business in North America.

QFT. Couldn't have said it better ourselves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-14 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Lets not turn this into an argument about leasing vs buying. Many of us lease, and we have our reasons.
Exactly. And a number of people, of course, can legally deduct the lease-payments because of the way they actually use their cars.