Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've long-felt (and I'm not alone with my observation) that the best Camry was, far and way, the 4th-Generation 1992-1996 model, and that build quality/solidness took a slow but steady decline for some 15 years after that. The new, latest Camry last year stopped the downward spiral somewhat....but the suspension/tires, even in non-SE models, are now too stiff from mainstream Camry buyers.
I agree 100% about the 92-96 Camry. Best Camry overall by far, very refined, well built, elegant looking.

During most of the 1990's, the Taurus (including its fleet-sales) see-sawed back and forth in a 3-way race with the Accord and Camry for top-selling car in America. After that classic see-saw, the Camry grabbed the top position and held it for quite a while.
Actually the Taurus was the best selling car from 1992-1996. No see saws.

I have to disagree with that. FAR too much emphasis, today, is being put on the so-called "youth" market. But, despite what manufacturers/marketers and the auto press may think, that's not where most of the money is. Study after study shows that the biggest single chunk of auto-buying dollars and disposable income is concentrated in the age 55-65 group..
It depends on the segment you are talking about. You don't design a compact car, or a family sedan to the needs and wants of the 55-65 year old age group. Avalon...ES...Buick Lacrosse...Chevy Impala...sure. While I agree with you that generation is ignored unreasonably, not in every segment.

Many May under-emphasize that demographic...you over-emphasize it.
Old 02-08-14, 01:21 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thats just the point...nobody is saying there is a problem there was simply an article posted quoting Akio Toyoda as saying that the 2015 Camry was going to be a heavier refresh and that he intends to inject more style and personality into the car in response to new improved competition.

Its just that some of the more single minded Toyota fans on here believe that anything other than total adoration of this brand constitutes "flaming" the product.

No matter how well something sells now doesn't mean it will always be that way. Missteps happen...look at the Ford Taurus as a great example of that. In its day it was the Camry...best selling car of all...one poor redesign and its a rental car. Over time if the segment is desiring cars with more substance than the Camry (which...lets be honest isn't an exciting looking or feeling car)...it certainly is not impossible that may occur. So its good Toyota recognizes this and is prepared to make improvements before it becomes a problem...thats all we're saying. The fanboys would say we're heretics for saying such a thing on a Lexus forum which is absurd IMHO.

Right...more players...taking sales and market share from Toyota. More and better competition means the product has to be better. Its really pretty simple.

Sales were up in 2012 for many reasons, new Camry model, the vastly improved economy. Note market share was not up, it was down. Sales for everybody were up.

You can make excuses all you want...many of us will choose to support Toyota's decision to improve the car. Note...we are not simply suggesting they do so...THEY THEMSELVES have said it needs to be done and they will do so...so I have absolutely zero idea where you apologists are coming from.

You're saying the brand is wrong that their product needs to improve?!?!
The article doesn't even quote Akio Toyoda, it quotes Kevin Hunter who's the USA chief designer.

Where did I say that the Camry was faultless? Where did I say it didn't need some improvements? I can guarantee I've driven more current gen Camrys and their competition than anybody here. I know what its faults are, its strengths and I know them for their competition. I wholly welcome the 2015 update as it shows they're serious about being a leader in this segment.

That said, the constant whining from people who would never buy a Camry regardless of what it is is hugely tiresome. Listening to the hyperbole about how it's the worst car on earth and how everyone who buys one is a sheep is borderline obsessive, especially since these so-called "enthusiasts" deride it for being boring. As was pointed out, this thread has over 125 posts in it! Some boring car...

I also find it funny that the ones against it always try to stifle any attempts to defend the car from are mostly embellished truths or simply wrong facts. The funny thing is that many of you go through the same thing with people close-mindely bashing Lexus and go to great lengths to defend them.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 02-08-14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 01:24 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

"Mazda isn't even capable of producing more 6's as they don't have the capacity"

Oh I'm sorry, who's problem is that? And I bet some of you saying this are the same fools who say the Tundra is a failure because it doesn't outsell the F-series, when Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to build Tundras and is all maxed out as well.
Old 02-08-14, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
"Mazda isn't even capable of producing more 6's as they don't have the capacity"

Oh I'm sorry, who's problem is that? And I bet some of you saying this are the same fools who say the Tundra is a failure because it doesn't outsell the F-series, when Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to build Tundras and is all maxed out as well.
It nobody's "problem" it's just a fact, and I would not say the Tundra "sells poorly" because it doesn't sell at the same level as the F series. Take a chill.

That said, the constant whining from people who would never buy a Camry regardless of what it is is hugely tiresome. Listening to the hyperbole about how it's the worst car on earth and how everyone who buys one is a sheep is borderline obsessive, especially since these so-called "enthusiasts" deride it for being boring. As was pointed out, this thread has over 125 posts in it! Some boring car...
Nobody's whining, we're having a discussion. Don't be so sensitive.

Who has said it's the worst car on earth?!? Who has said everyone who buys one is sheep? You guys are arguing against flamers who don't exist lol

It's not a Camry forum. If you want to talk with a bunch of Camry fans I would try a Camry forum.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-08-14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 03:49 PM
LexFather

I also find it funny that the ones against it always try to stifle any attempts to defend the car from are mostly embellished truths or simply wrong facts. The funny thing is that many of you go through the same thing with people close-mindely bashing Lexus and go to great lengths to defend them.
Bingo….the class has never been better, the Camry has never been better, it just loses out on style compared to others. We are in an age of style over substance and that is what many of these vehicles provide. Again the Altima just got a pretty bad review yet its fine b/c its stylish (I love how it looks). The Sonata and Optima BLATANTLY LIED about their MPG but we should be okay b/c they are stylish? I had a new Ford Fusion for a week and while it looks amazing, it drove horrible, I was stunned. Of course since its "stylish" that seems to be all that matters.

Makes me want a Camry, at least its not pretending to be something its not.

Old 02-08-14, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you want to see success blending style with substance look at the Accord and Civic.
Old 02-08-14, 04:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If you want to see success blending style with substance look at the Accord and Civic.
I can't agree on the Civic, substance? It really stirs no emotion. The latest Accord however is handsome inside and out with understated looks

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-08-14 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I can't agree on the Civic, substance? It really stirs no emotion. The latest Accord however is handsome inside and out with understated looks
Moreso than the outgoing Corolla. Have you driven one? Its pretty fun to drive for a compact car.
Old 02-08-14, 05:27 PM
Hoovey689

Moreso than the outgoing Corolla. Have you driven one? Its pretty fun to drive for a compact car.
2007 5-Speed LX model and 2013 5-Speed Auto LX model. Moreso than the outgoing Corolla yes, but lacks behind the Mazda3 and latest Focus from my own experiences.
Old 02-08-14, 05:32 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 02-08-14, 06:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
2007 5-Speed LX model and 2013 5-Speed Auto LX model. Moreso than the outgoing Corolla yes, but lacks behind the Mazda3 and latest Focus from my own experiences.
Oh no question, my comparison was only to the Corolla...
Old 02-08-14, 06:52 PM
Hoovey689

Oh no question, my comparison was only to the Corolla...
gotcha
Old 02-08-14, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree 100% about the 92-96 Camry. Best Camry overall by far, very refined, well built, elegant looking.
Not necessarily the best interior, but refined and built like a tank. I would have (maybe) bought one myself except that I sprang for a brand-new 1995 Iris-blue Celica instead. I fell in love with that-generation Celica's looks and build quality.

Actually the Taurus was the best selling car from 1992-1996. No see saws.
Agreed...but what I meant by see-saws was that the #1 spot changed hands during the 90s between the three of them.....Camry/Accord/Taurus. As you note, it wasn't necessarily a different car each year.

It depends on the segment you are talking about. You don't design a compact car, or a family sedan to the needs and wants of the 55-65 year old age group.
A number of people in this age group, however, DO buy compacts and family-sedans. Not all drive traditional luxury makes. In fact, the shoe-box 1Gen Scion xB sold more than expected to older folks, even though it was clearly aimed at youth. Some older people liked its combination of space-efficiency for carrying things, quality/reliability, economy, and ease of purchase with the Saturn-style no-haggle deals.

Avalon...ES...Buick Lacrosse...Chevy Impala...sure. While I agree with you that generation is ignored unreasonably, not in every segment.
In general, the 55-65 age group doesn't tend to be sporting enthusiasts (except maybe some of the older BMW guys and Mustang/Camaro/Challenger enthusiasts who grew up with the original ponycars 40-50 years ago). But, several studies have shown that this age group is where a lot of the potential money is. Even so, however (and the fact they have money), they generally don't have as much influence over auto design today as the auto press. In the last 10 years or so, the auto press has gotten enormous influence among the manufacturers.

Many May under-emphasize that demographic...you over-emphasize it.
Well, yes and no. With this group, the money certainly is there...but not the influence. The manufacturers seem to be fixated on those aged a couple of decades younger.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-14 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily the best interior, but refined and built like a tank. I would have (maybe) bought one myself except that I sprang for a brand-new 1995 Iris-blue Celica instead. I fell in love with that-generation Celica's looks and build quality.
My aunt and uncle are huge Toyota people, they had an 89 or 90 Cressida which was also a great car, a 90 or 91 Camry, and an early 90s Celica (generation before your 95).

As for the age groups, you have to realize that you approach every segment and every design decision from the perspective of the 55-65 demographic right

EVERY car can't be designed for them.
Old 02-08-14, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Bingo….the class has never been better, the Camry has never been better, it just loses out on style compared to others.
Depends on what you mean by "better". Yes, today's Camry is generally an improvement over its rather disappointing immediate predecessor. But the ride is stiffer, even on the non-SE model (the Camry's buyer-audience generally doesn't want that kind of suspension/tires). And, except for the nicer interior trim today and the more efficient 6-speed automatic today over the old 4-speed, today's Camry, IMO, still can't compare with the superb 3Gen 1992-96 model.

We are in an age of style over substance and that is what many of these vehicles provide.
Yep....totally agree. And one of the biggest and most widespread offenders, style-wise, today, is the humpback-whale roofline on many sedans (trying to make them look like four-door coupes) that makes rear entry/exit and headroom often difficult for taller persons.

Makes me want a Camry, at least its not pretending to be something its not.
Agreed....you could do worse, but I still don't see it as the equal of the superb 3Gen Camry.

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary