Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
If you look at a percentage of sales, those 3 models are most of their sales. Honda incentives are up compared to the past where they didn't need them. I'm not disagreeing they are not doing well, I am just stating these things.
But you can say the same thing for any company...Toyota...Lexus...you're always going to have volume cars that make up a big percentage of their sales. Thats 100% typical.
Old 02-12-14, 12:50 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, when you look at it, Honda sells a lot of vehicles while having one of the smallest lineups of any mainstream car company.
Old 02-13-14, 12:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Struggling Honda, am I missing something? Sure they don't have much on offer for enthusiast but they have the mass market covered very well.
Bad choice of words on my part, sorry. What I was thinking was Honda's recent misteps, which have been uncharacteristic of the company. I'm referring to their two emergency facelifts to the Civic, which was universally met with poor reviews. The CRZ didn't work out, as well as the Clarity, Element, and Insight. After decades of constant homeruns, they've come to "struggle" with execution and design on many models. (And then there's brother Acura...). Putting all this together, I was thinking the new Accord is a step in the old direction we once expected.
Old 02-13-14, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm referring to their two emergency facelifts to the Civic, which was universally met with poor reviews.
You mean the class leading in sales Civic? Perhaps reviews were poor...sales were not. Increasing sales and growing market share is a struggle all companies would like to have.
Old 02-13-14, 06:53 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
Really, when you look at it, Honda sells a lot of vehicles while having one of the smallest lineups of any mainstream car company.
yup. they aren't trying to be everything for everyone. i like that quality about them.
Old 02-13-14, 06:55 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mlgbwk
No it doesn't.
opinions, opinions

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, Passat has aged even worse than Camry.
disagree. both vanilla, but passat will age much more gracefully. its conservative design that will not stand out, but still be handsome. same goes to Jetta.

and IMO this is one of the key reason why both are selling so much better than last gen.

Last edited by hlee12; 02-13-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-13-14, 08:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You mean the class leading in sales Civic? Perhaps reviews were poor...sales were not. Increasing sales and growing market share is a struggle all companies would like to have.
With incentives, something the car did not need before. Its selling but the methods have changed.

Old 02-13-14, 08:25 AM
LexFather

With incentives, something the car did not need before. Its selling but the methods have changed.
Originally Posted by hlee12
opinions, opinions

disagree. both vanilla, but passat will age much more gracefully. its conservative design that will not stand out, but still be handsome. same goes to Jetta.

and IMO this is one of the key reason why both are selling so much better than last gen.
lol!!! Please no more design analysis….we beg you.

Old 02-13-14, 09:39 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

there is a reason why VW chose this new approach. it is designed for masses.

camry's front design bothers me. just tad too busy for my taste. passat? nothing special, but doesn't bother me. i find it handsome.

camry's proportion is off IMO. i never really was a fan of wedge shape.

passat to me is just a safe design. nothing earth shattering. just a good looking. it really is a vanilla. but it's a good vanilla.

IMO camry just looks tad cheaper than the others. just looks tasteless to me.

yes, design is subjective, but honestly i have never met a person who prefers camry's design over passat. but many of them would probably buy camry over passat.

it would be interesting to see an online poll between these 2 design. my guess is passat would win it convincingly.
Old 02-13-14, 09:40 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

lol!!! Please no more design analysis….we beg you.

I almost spit out my coffee at that. LOL!

Brilliant!
Old 02-13-14, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota offers tons on incentives...everybody does.

Go to Toyota.com. $2250 cash back on Camry. 0% APR for 60 months. $1,000 back on Avalon or 1.9%. $500 back on Corolla (the all new Corolla) or 1.9%. $1,250 cash back on Sienna or 0%.

Does that negate Toyota's sales success? If we're going to write off the fact that Civic is outselling Corolla because Honda is incentivizing Corolla sales...how can you use the defense of the Camry's shortcomings that its the best selling car? Its the best selling car because of big incentives.

Just for the sake of argument. On Accord they offer 0.9% financing, but no cash back....compared to $2,250 or 0% for Camry. On Civic, no cash back, 0.9%.

its the manner in which almost all carmakers market cars nowadays, again Honda is not unique.
Old 02-13-14, 10:03 AM
LexFather

there is a reason why VW chose this new approach. it is designed for masses.

camry's front design bothers me. just tad too busy for my taste. passat? nothing special, but doesn't bother me. i find it handsome.

camry's proportion is off IMO. i never really was a fan of wedge shape.

passat to me is just a safe design. nothing earth shattering. just a good looking. it really is a vanilla. but it's a good vanilla.
A--/http://l.yimg.com/os/290/2012/10/01/2012-Toyota-Camry-XLE-rear-three-quarters-jpg_204133.jpg[/IMG]

yes, design is subjective, but honestly i have never met a person who prefers camry's design over passat. but many of them would probably buy camry over passat.

it would be interesting to see an online poll between these 2 design. my guess is passat would win it convincingly.
Thanks but I don't take design analysis from someone that doesn't even tell us what they drive, nor their background, nor any explanation on what makes them an expert on design while at the same time explaining to us that the Hyundai Geneiss, Kia whatever is some amazing new design. Sorry. I refuse to even listen to ANYONE telling me a Passat which looks nearly identical to a late 2000s Impala is somehow some amazing design to the Camry!!

Originally Posted by speedflex
I almost spit out my coffee at that. LOL!

Brilliant!
No joke, that was actually a Suburu campaign.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Toyota offers tons on incentives...everybody does.

Go to Toyota.com. $2250 cash back on Camry. 0% APR for 60 months. $1,000 back on Avalon or 1.9%. $500 back on Corolla (the all new Corolla) or 1.9%. $1,250 cash back on Sienna or 0%.

Does that negate Toyota's sales success? If we're going to write off the fact that Civic is outselling Corolla because Honda is incentivizing Corolla sales...how can you use the defense of the Camry's shortcomings that its the best selling car? Its the best selling car because of big incentives.

Just for the sake of argument. On Accord they offer 0.9% financing, but no cash back....compared to $2,250 or 0% for Camry. On Civic, no cash back, 0.9%.

its the manner in which almost all carmakers market cars nowadays, again Honda is not unique.
Oh I don't disagree with you and I am not saying Honda isn't doing well, clearly they are. However, in the past where Toyota did offer incentives and Honda did not, well Hondas has to now to stay in the game which is a complete change of direction. And honestly I like you a lot and I'm not buying a Honda so you win:thumb up:

Last edited by LexFather; 02-13-14 at 10:07 AM.

Old 02-13-14, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I don't disagree with you and I am not saying Honda isn't doing well, clearly they are. However, in the past where Toyota did offer incentives and Honda did not, well Hondas has to now to stay in the game which is a complete change of direction.
They're not just staying in the game though is what I'm saying...they're winning in an increasing number of areas...the incentives are just the way of the world in the industry right now. I remember a time when you never saw incentives from MB or BMW...now you do all over the place. Lexus too, a few years ago there were no incentives...now there are a lot of them.

And honestly I like you a lot and I'm not buying a Honda so you win:thumb up:
The feeling is mutual, and I'm not buying a Honda either LOL
Old 02-13-14, 10:17 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Thanks but I don't take design analysis from someone that doesn't even tell us what they drive, nor their background, nor any explanation on what makes them an expert on design while at the same time explaining to us that the Hyundai Geneiss, Kia whatever is some amazing new design. Sorry. I refuse to even listen to ANYONE telling me a Passat which looks nearly identical to a late 2000s Impala is somehow some amazing design to the Camry!!

No joke, that was actually a Suburu campaign.
i never said genesis was a great design. actually i expressed my disappointment.
did you even read my comment on k900? i was borderline offended by it.

and i do remember that tasteless awful campaign.

and what does my car has to do anything? i ride my colnago. i came here to discuss cars. i have no desire to post my own cars. i see no point in that.

really?

well i do see a similarity in headlight design, but come on man.

and i do have an eye for design. eh, that's what i do for living.
Old 02-13-14, 01:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,816 Likes on 2,381 Posts

yes, design is subjective, but honestly i have never met a person who prefers camry's design over passat.
Is this supposed to mean something?

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary