Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 07:39 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The epitome of Double standards ^^

It's sickening the level of Toyota & Camry bashing on these auto websites. Members of LLN in particular seem to hate anything Toyota with a passion.

Last edited by yowps3; 02-13-14 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

To me the issue is the Passat is bland but elegant looking, and I do t feel the Accord is bland. I don't find the Camry elegant looking.
Old 02-13-14, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

ok all, just agree to disagree... some like or are ok with camry looks / content, some are not. no need to call others' opinions crazy, sickening, etc. it's subjective.
Old 02-13-14, 08:17 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
To me the issue is the Passat is bland but elegant looking, and I do t feel the Accord is bland. I don't find the Camry elegant looking.
i agree. Accord is bland. but it's a good bland. it's one of the better looking family sedan. i'll take accord over camry anytime anyday. hell, i'll take accord over passat too. better ride, reliability, and better interior. only thing i like about passat's interior is the huge rear seat.

Originally Posted by Sulu
You can't be serious?!?!?!?!? A bland Passat (or a bland Accord) is acceptable but a bland Camry is the cause for starting World War 3?

What a perfect reflection of this thread -- absolute and utter craziness. Do you people ever read what you write?

i repeatedly said Passat is a better vanilla of the two.I find Passat a safe german design that works on many angles. it looks bit more 'dressed up' than camry. and it just feels bit more substantial exterior wise. i'm aware that Passat didn't raise the level. it's probably not the best looking offering. (IMO, mazda6 is). but it's has a good balance of vanilla/elegance. my problem with passat is its lazy interior and so-so quality.

on the other hand camry isn't just a vanilla. i Camry IMO has many issues.

-it's proportion makes it look smaller
-wedge shape isn't for everyone. just funky looking. compare that to passat's hoffmeister kink
- front is tad busy
- rear 3/4 looks off - it looks like it's a compact sedan

Originally Posted by yowps3
The epitome of Double standards ^^

It's sickening the level of Toyota & Camry bashing on these auto websites. Members of LLN in particular seem to hate anything Toyota with a passion.
am i really bashing toyota? I find Avalon & Corolla very handsome. those 2 are among leaders in their classes. I hate Rav4. but I like highlander. Tundra to me is the best looking truck. I hate scion TC, but i love FRS. so on.

I'm always about product vs. product. as far as family sedan goes Camry is one of the weakest link in terms of design both interior and exterior IMO. I see Mazda6 park next to Camry every day. Mazda6 is making camry look very old and weary. but IMO passat holds its own against mazda6. passat has that safe/elegant/understated appeal to it. but of course, interior is rather cheap and dated.

Last edited by hlee12; 02-13-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 09:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,816 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What a perfect reflection of this thread -- absolute and utter craziness. Do you people ever read what you write?
You should listen to some of the things VW salespeople say about Toyota. Most of the stuff is just downright lies, one tried to tell me that all new Toyota's have under hood electrical problems and you can't wash the engine bay because of it. Also told me the door hinges bend easily and in a few years the doors won't sit right. And told me the Camry has bare wires in the trunk, I looked and no it does not.

I think they tell this stuff to the staff during meetings or something.
Old 02-13-14, 09:27 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hlee12
i agree. Accord is bland. but it's a good bland. it's one of the better looking family sedan. i'll take accord over camry anytime anyday. hell, i'll take accord over passat too. better ride, reliability, and better interior. only thing i like about passat's interior is the huge rear seat.

i repeatedly said Passat is a better vanilla of the two.I find Passat a safe german design that works on many angles. it looks bit more 'dressed up' than camry. and it just feels bit more substantial exterior wise. i'm aware that Passat didn't raise the level. it's probably not the best looking offering. (IMO, mazda6 is). but it's has a good balance of vanilla/elegance. my problem with passat is its lazy interior and so-so quality.

on the other hand camry isn't just a vanilla. i Camry IMO has many issues.

-it's proportion makes it look smaller
-wedge shape isn't for everyone. just funky looking. compare that to passat's hoffmeister kink
- front is tad busy
- rear 3/4 looks off - it looks like it's a compact sedan

am i really bashing toyota? I find Avalon & Corolla very handsome. those 2 are among leaders in their classes. I hate Rav4. but I like highlander. Tundra to me is the best looking truck. I hate scion TC, but i love FRS. so on.

I'm always about product vs. product. as far as family sedan goes Camry is one of the weakest link in terms of design both interior and exterior IMO. I see Mazda6 park next to Camry every day. Mazda6 is making camry look very old and weary. but IMO passat holds its own against mazda6. passat has that safe/elegant/understated appeal to it. but of course, interior is rather cheap and dated.
I didn't say that you were bashing.

Here is the thing I actually agree with you about the aesthetics of the current Camry. I never liked it from the beginning. I thought the previous gen Camry looked a lot better. It had a smoother and more vivid design. The current Camry I agree just doesn't look nice from almost every angle.

The only compelling aspect of the current Camry is the very nice V6 motor under the hood. One could say that motor deserves a better body.
Old 02-13-14, 09:42 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i agree that last gen is better although even the last gen wasn't my cup of tea.

but aurion looked good. not earth shattering, but i could live with this. just better overall presentation IMO

looks dated now, but back then it was definitely above average.
Old 02-13-14, 10:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,816 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The only compelling aspect of the current Camry is the very nice V6 motor under the hood. One could say that motor deserves a better body.
Which you can get in a Lexus. I don't really like the styling of the current gen Camry either, but I don't hate it. It does look better in person I'll say that.
Old 02-13-14, 11:49 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Like the Camry, it's more of a question of "how many more Civics would they be selling if they had a better product?" The Civic's story is similar to the Camry's story. Both have or had areas that needed obvious improvements and both got criticism each has never received before. In the case of the Camry, it was the president's own words. In the case of the Civic, it was the press and two rare emergency refreshes.

Someone earlier had a great example with McDonald's Big Mac. It may be the best-selling burger, but that doesn't mean it's great or has room for improving.

There's always this business question, "how many more could we be selling if we did it this way or did it that way?" In the auto industry, a shift has taken place in the mid-sized family sedan category. Plain vanilla no longer cuts it and people want everything in one package, including some style.
That is not true. Honda originally by early 2009, had a finalized Civic body design frozen earlier in 2008 and were already engineering it for production scheduled for late 2010. They made the decision the de-content it in April 2009 (due to recession), delaying production start to 2011 as a MY2012. With a redone 2012 design in late 2009, by April 2010 Honda realized these mistakes and eventually got started on a rushed facelift. That arrived by December 2012.

I mention this as the "press" never caught wind of this decision until spring 2011, so they weren't entirely a factor in it.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am sure people want some style, but they are still buying Camry, more than in 2012 and despite everything written above.

As to Civic, it was ridiculous refresh where their PR'd the heck out of it and if you compare the pics of before and after, they added chrome rings everywhere and changed color of 2 materials and called it a major refresh.

If Camry does this, nothing will change at all. It is just a PR stunt.
Quite questionable the validity of this particular statement, as it is too opinionated and heavily biased towards Toyota, when Honda launched this facelift within 20 months of initial market launch in April 2011. Honda has pretty much interrupted their regular schedule of mid-cycle changes during a Civic's 5 year life-cycle (8th generation Civic was extended for 6 months to facilitate 2012 launch delays).

Toyota has instead waited until the current Camry's mid-cycle, which follows a 25-year tradition of 3 years after initial launch, since 1989 (see 1986-1991 or 1990 Camry). That is acceptable, even if the Camry has not been satisfactory. The Civic and Camry situations are not fully comparable, unless Toyota jump started parallel work on a 2013 Camry refresh during final development in early-mid 2011. Then similarly launching the same level of changes within 18-20 months by early 2013. They did not, but waited until typical scheduling.

I can't find sales figures for 2008, but I would argue that sales in 2008 were fueled by the hybrid car craze in those fee years. That generation Civic Hybrid was very popular.

Civic is the best selling compact car right now, bottom line. Do you realize the hypocrisy of your position that the Camry is all it should be because it's the top seller, but the Civic being the top seller is meaningless?

You literally are deriding our argument about the Camry and making the same argument against the Civic. It's entertaining.
I concur with your 2 latter paragraphs, as I also do not like blind favoritism nor unfair biases. The level of changes the Civic received as quickly as it did (in 19-20 months), were extraordinary at face value. It had been in the cards since 2010, which explains quick arrival.

Toyota reasonably waited a usual 3 years (33-34 months) since initial launch and has paralleled the launch of this Camry MMC, with mid-stage development of the next generation due in 2016-17.

I do not understand how anyone can compare them based on that, when different approaches were taken. Toyota did not nor could they budge to make similar changes as early.
Old 02-14-14, 04:24 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

i agree that last gen is better although even the last gen wasn't my cup of tea.

but aurion looked good. not earth shattering, but i could live with this. just better overall presentation IMO

looks dated now, but back then it was definitely above average.
Yeah the previous gen Aurion looked very nice;

It looked like a Lexus LS

It even had a cool looking instrument panel

But unfortunately Toyota killed it with this new Aurion;
Old 02-14-14, 08:16 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

yikes that new aurion looks tacky. yeah, last gen was much better. that black one looks clean.
Old 02-14-14, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Actually I tried to say that I do not feel the Accord is bland. I really like the new Accord.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You should listen to some of the things VW salespeople say about Toyota. Most of the stuff is just downright lies, one tried to tell me that all new Toyota's have under hood electrical problems and you can't wash the engine bay because of it. Also told me the door hinges bend easily and in a few years the doors won't sit right. And told me the Camry has bare wires in the trunk, I looked and no it does not.
Thats car salespeople being car salespeople. Thats not unique to VW.
Old 02-14-14, 09:54 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree. I once had a BMW salesman tell me that BMWs were superior to Lexus because all Japanese cars are made from scrap steel while German cars are all made from "new" steel. There was also a Mercedes salesman that claimed that the government had proven that all Toyota products had electrical design faults that caused the cars to accelerate on their own. We don't know about it because Toyota paid off the government.

Some will say anything to sell a car.

Steve
Old 02-14-14, 10:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
That is acceptable, even if the Camry has not been satisfactory.
Not sure what exactly are you questioning, Civic facelift was maybe year soon but it didnt change the car dramatically... they added a lot of chrome and changed 2-3 materials and colors. Of course they PR'd the heck out of it, just like Toyota will PR this.

Also, Camry is the best selling car on the market, just got rated best quality car in the class and obviously Toyota is very profitable company so Camry brings them profits. Not sure why hasnt it been satisfactory?
Old 02-14-14, 10:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Actually I tried to say that I do not feel the Accord is bland. I really like the new Accord.

I agree. They all do it to one degree or another when they know you are also looking at the competition.

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary