Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 2015 Camry, commentary

So today Autoblog said Mr. Toyoda admitted the current Camry isn't hitting it's mark and will have more emotion injected into the facelift. I had to bite my tongue when I read the article. Just how many times in the last twenty years have we heard this same damn promise?

Many of us, including myself, stating several times the current Camry is a huge let-down style-wise and a step down from the last generation. I made several posts specifically describing in detail what is wrong with the front, side, and rear. Now, like clockwork, management catches on and has to fix something that should have not needed fixing in the first place (hello Honda Civic). We have been saying for a few generations, the Camry needs more emotion and better styling. Sedate family sedans in this class no longer cut it thanks to other makes raising the bar and giving style, along with reliability and everything else in one package. This lackadaisical, dated, and sheltered way of running a company is a sad shame and inexcusable for 2014. Toyota could have sold tens of thousands of more Camrys if they had the right sense to follow popular trends and create an attractive and styled shape.

Now, it's come down to admitting fault, which is basically admitting failure. Very unToyota-like and very disappointing. We have been saying all along what Mr. Toyoda is finally catching onto. Again, I scratch my head and wonder how people with such limited vision can run such big companies. That may sound harsh, but I believe it. There is absolutely no good reason the current Camry should have been signed off with the styling it has. A complete waste of money and opportunity for more sales.

Sorry to vent here. I've been thinking about what to write about this topic all day. I love the company and I loved the last gen Camry with it's lythe styling. I'm only so disappointed because I want good things for the company. I don't want to hear apologies, and someone who should know better, have to admit mistakes. It never should have happened in the first place, as many of us called out here three years ago. I also don't like hearing promises and seeing the same mistakes. It's insulting to the public.
Old 01-20-14, 11:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Eh if they plan to infuse more emotion into the line-up now fully I'm on board. I can forgive current design in light of this
Old 01-20-14, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Eh if they plan to infuse more emotion into the line-up now fully I'm on board. I can forgive current design in light of this
Hoovey, you are a model of calmness and forgiveness. I need some ice cream.
Old 01-20-14, 11:42 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You make it sound as if the Camary isn't the best selling car. What's wrong with vanilla if that's what buyers in this segment want? Doesn't the sales numbers pretty much speak for themselves?
Old 01-21-14, 12:06 AM
LexFather

It's a Camry, vanilla, owners are happy, internetz isn't..what's new...

Current model wasn't developed under Akio...

Could the Camry be better? Sure.

Old 01-21-14, 12:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Hoovey, you are a model of calmness and forgiveness. I need some ice cream.
I strive for zen
Old 01-21-14, 12:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sedate family sedans in this class no longer cut it...
It's a family sedan.

It's supposed to be sedate.

People don't want sportiness when they have kids and old people and groceries in the car.

They want spaciousness, ergonomics, durability, cost effectiveness, cheap insurance, cheap maintenance, cheap starting price, and ease of use.

What you have described and complained about is how a Camry isn't designed like a luxury sports sedan.

Let me state the obvious: it isn't and will most likely never be.
Old 01-21-14, 01:05 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a blind person could have figured this one out. I guess a team of designers getting paid about a million a year each couldn't. This design reminds me of the older kia and hyundai days. absolutely no style.
Old 01-21-14, 01:46 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
absolutely no style.
I think that is the entire point of a Camry. Like others have said, vanilla sells, if you hate this car, go buy a Dodge Charger.
Old 01-21-14, 04:14 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sales of the 2012 Camry in the U.S. were down by nearly 70,000 units vs. the 2007 Camry when it was new. Yes, the current generation is a sales disappointment. It's as bland as can be and doesn't even drive that nicely. Sure a lot of people still want vanilla, but guess what? 70k Camry buyers went elsewhere. Weaker argument for sticking with vanilla.
Old 01-21-14, 04:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Even if the sales number is good,changing the design is a smart move.Accord and others have taken away sales and will continue to with it's present ugly design both in and out.Also Camry discounting is huge with a low interest loan number.So good sales numbers but lower profit..
Camry will always sell well no matter how it looks but the lower numbers are showing people are starting to get tired of vanilla.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-21-14 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-21-14, 04:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

I'd pick the new Accord (or the old one for that matter) over the last couple of generations of Camry
Old 01-21-14, 05:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think that is the entire point of a Camry. Like others have said, vanilla sells, if you hate this car, go buy a Dodge Charger.
Yup. I think the Camry could possibly have a more impressive design but it needs to stay bland to appease its customers, car rags/internet be damned. As long as Consumer Reports likes it they're in good shape- and I don't mean that in a bad way.
Old 01-21-14, 05:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

So today Autoblog said Mr. Toyoda admitted the current Camry isn't hitting it's mark and will have more emotion injected into the facelift. I had to bite my tongue when I read the article. Just how many times in the last twenty years have we heard this same damn promise?

Many of us, including myself, stating several times the current Camry is a huge let-down style-wise and a step down from the last generation. I made several posts specifically describing in detail what is wrong with the front, side, and rear. Now, like clockwork, management catches on and has to fix something that should have not needed fixing in the first place (hello Honda Civic). We have been saying for a few generations, the Camry needs more emotion and better styling. Sedate family sedans in this class no longer cut it thanks to other makes raising the bar and giving style, along with reliability and everything else in one package. This lackadaisical, dated, and sheltered way of running a company is a sad shame and inexcusable for 2014. Toyota could have sold tens of thousands of more Camrys if they had the right sense to follow popular trends and create an attractive and styled shape.

Now, it's come down to admitting fault, which is basically admitting failure. Very unToyota-like and very disappointing. We have been saying all along what Mr. Toyoda is finally catching onto. Again, I scratch my head and wonder how people with such limited vision can run such big companies. That may sound harsh, but I believe it. There is absolutely no good reason the current Camry should have been signed off with the styling it has. A complete waste of money and opportunity for more sales.

Sorry to vent here. I've been thinking about what to write about this topic all day. I love the company and I loved the last gen Camry with it's lythe styling. I'm only so disappointed because I want good things for the company. I don't want to hear apologies, and someone who should know better, have to admit mistakes. It never should have happened in the first place, as many of us called out here three years ago. I also don't like hearing promises and seeing the same mistakes. It's insulting to the public.
man, every year new articles come up about why Camry will be dethroned next year, and every year Camry sells the best.

It is now 3rd year of Camry and every other competitor has had a major facelift. When it came out in 2011, it has won comparo's against competition. Here many have said that SE looks really good.

And there is nothing to feel bad about Toyota.

For 2013, Toyota will have highest operating profit in the history of the company and in fact, it will have highest operating profit of any automotive company in the history.

Oh noes, Toyota has big problems, too many profits and too many cars sold.

Remember how Sonata was supposed to catch Camry? Or Fusion? lol. I bet new one will end up being similar to all the Camry's... they simply sell too many and have to cater to too many tastes... thats why it ends up being bland.
Old 01-21-14, 05:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

And 2012 Camry was pretty good to Toyota:
(started sales Sept 2011)

2009: 356,824
2010: 327,804
2011: 308,510
2012: 404,886
2013: 408,484

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary