Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quest for Automotive Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 03:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Most complete? Do you mean most complete except for reliability and fuel efficiency? Those don't count? How can a
Cayenne Turbo be complete when it's fuel mileage is horrendous? How can a BMW 3/5/7 be complete when they're
in the shop continuously?

I thought your question was about a car being the most complete, as in the most well rounded and balanced of all
criteria.

Styling
Utility
Status
Reliability
Power
Performance
Fuel efficiency
Quality
Smoothness
Price
Value
Resale value

Porsche? BMW? Mercedes Benz?

I guess I just read the question wrong.
It's very subjective so there won't be a right answer. The aspects I listed were just some of many like the ones you just listed to be considered when aswering the OP question. Basically in YOUR eyes what car seems to "have it all"

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I love the responses in this thread- people came up with cool submissions/rationale. Good idea for a thread Hoovey.

Just have some fun with it. What are your choices? I don't view 15 city 22 hwy horrendous by the way, although as others have noted perhaps the Turbo is overkill. Call me a glutton for power.
Thanks. Yeah something fun to think about. Since we're all "car guys/gals", we can shed light on these vehicles moreso than the average Joe who uses their vehicle as an appliance to point A to point B

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I'd have to go with Hoovey, on that one, the GS450h.
Manufacturer? I guess Mercedes.
Looks like I got my answer afterall

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm going to skip voting for a specific vehicle on on this one. "Most Complete", IMO, is simply too vague a term to include only one vehcle and/or body-style

If, as I interpret it, by "most complete, you mean the widest line of different vehicles, then it would probably be a (roughly) 3-way tie between three large corporations.......Ford/Lincoln, GM (particularly Chevrolet), and Toyota/Lexus. All three corporations, even in the American market, produce and sell an extremely wide variety of vehicles from A and B-class subcompact sedans/hatchbacks to full-size trucks and SUVs. At major auto shows in America, you will notice that these three companies/corporations usually have the biggest blocks of floor-display space.....for a reason.
It's subjetive Mike. The answer reflects your thoughts. Simply what vehicle in your mind does it best in regards to attributes you hold dear. A Kia Rio? A Ford Fusion Hybrid? A Rolls-Royce Phantom? Heck even your Buick Verano must have been compelling since you bought it. That's ok though, I noted you answered the second question, no worries

I'm curious and maybe international CL folks can chime in. How big are the American company displays at the international shows like Geneva, Paris, Tokyo, Frankfurt etc.. And which company usually has the biggest. Does domestic always get bigger displays at home?
Old 01-23-14, 02:00 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You guys are over thinking things.

Land Cruiser 70 series. Chassis hasn't changed much in 30 years, but then again it really didn't need to. Available in just about any configuration you want, long bed pickup, crew cab pickup, 4 door wagon, 3 door short wheelbase wagon, chassis cab to mount whatever body you want on the back. If you are in a part of the world that has a lack of good roads, this is your best friend. If you feel the need to drive 100mph on paved asphalt, Toyota has you covered with a 260+hp twin turbo diesel V8.
Old 01-23-14, 02:59 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

1) New Audi S3. Just has all the right lines to me. Tidy, without excess, taunt, modern, athletic, refined, restrained, classy, and no immature gimmicks.

2) Audi has been and is leading future auto design trends. Next A4 must continue the momentum and I believe it will. Mercedes is close behind. If the next E-Class springs ahead to something special, the whole line-up is going to be the envy.

A few years ago I would have put Lexus in the que, but I feel they went a bit too crazy with the grille.
Old 01-24-14, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A few years ago I would have put Lexus in the que, but I feel they went a bit too crazy with the grille.
In-your-face grilles seem to be one of the latest fads with many automakers...particularly Audi, Lexus, Buick, Acura (parrot-beak), Cadillac, and Lincoln.

Chevy, IMO, is one of the few automakers that really does a nice job on their grilles....most of them involve a simple horizontal-bar across the front end with the gold Chevy bow-tie in the middle. It calls attention to the brand and logo up front without being pimp-ostentatious.
Old 01-24-14, 08:02 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You guys are over thinking things.

Land Cruiser 70 series. Chassis hasn't changed much in 30 years, but then again it really didn't need to. Available in just about any configuration you want, long bed pickup, crew cab pickup, 4 door wagon, 3 door short wheelbase wagon, chassis cab to mount whatever body you want on the back. If you are in a part of the world that has a lack of good roads, this is your best friend. If you feel the need to drive 100mph on paved asphalt, Toyota has you covered with a 260+hp twin turbo diesel V8.

ToMoCo has it all. RELIABILITY/DURABILITY/LUXURY/CAPABILITY/POWER/DRIVING EXPERIENCE
An example of vehicles i want in my garage someday...
Land Cruiser 70 series for old school/ultra reliable tank/hard core offroading monster -
LC200/LX570 off road expedition limo.
RC-F for crazy weekends.

I drive a 2006 Land Cruiser and i love it. My old man has been a Toyota/LC guy most of his life ( He owned a 40 series/55series/60/62/ a few 79s/80/100 series and now after decades of owning Land Cruisers he decided to get himself something luxurious...he got a 2014 LX 570 and he loves it !
I don't think i will own any vehicle out of the TOYOTA/LEXUS family anytime soon. They have everything i want and more.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 01-24-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Heck even your Buick Verano must have been compelling since you bought it.
I had two (used) Buicks long ago when I was in college, and liked both of them (so much for the time-worn idea that young people don't like Buicks). I wanted a new one, but, after the early 1970s, their build-quality tanked, and, though I liked their smooth quiet rides, they didn't build anything, quality-wise, for the next 40 years I would have seriously considered. The Verano, however, after some 4 decades, finally solved that problem, partially because it combined some of the best from GM (sound-insulation, trim, smooth transmission, etc....) with the best from Opel (solid materials/hardware, German-derived chassis, excellent brakes). My checkbook simply couldn't resist that combination.
Old 01-24-14, 12:08 PM
Hoovey689

I had two (used) Buicks long ago when I was in college, and liked both of them (so much for the time-worn idea that young people don't like Buicks). I wanted a new one, but, after the early 1970s, their build-quality tanked, and, though I liked their smooth quiet rides, they didn't build anything, quality-wise, for the next 40 years I would have seriously considered. The Verano, however, after some 4 decades, finally solved that problem, partially because it combined some of the best from GM (sound-insulation, trim, smooth transmission, etc....) with the best from Opel (solid materials/hardware, German-derived chassis, excellent brakes). My checkbook simply couldn't resist that combination.
Those are good merits to sell you on. I figured it was that OR Peyton Manning sold you on the car

Old 01-25-14, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Those are good merits to sell you on. I figured it was that OR Peyton Manning sold you on the car

Peyton Manning pitches the Buick Verano - YouTube
Auto ads are usually an insult to one's intelligence. That one is no exception, though I admit there is at least some truth to it. The car IS quiet....especially by compact-car standards.

Another (similiar) Buick ad is where seven-foot, gorilla-sized Shaq O'Neal tries to pitch the interior room of a Lacrosse. You've probably seen it.
Old 01-25-14, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Auto ads are usually an insult to one's intelligence. That one is no exception, though I admit there is at least some truth to it. The car IS quiet....especially by compact-car standards.

Another (similiar) Buick ad is where seven-foot, gorilla-sized Shaq O'Neal tries to pitch the interior room of a Lacrosse. You've probably seen it.
I don't know why they even bothered. Just looking at him in the Lacrosse you can tell he's like a sardine in a can
Old 02-02-14, 03:38 PM
Hoovey689

Let's here some more members!
Old 02-02-14, 05:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

1 - BMW 3 and 5 Series
Wide range of engines and options for ANY person.
If selected with the right suspension is rewarding to drive.
Large trunk, good interior room, great gas mileage in any engine trim compared to competition.

2 - Mercedes Benz
Most complete lineup of any luxury automaker period.