Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many of you Lexus drivers is rooting for the TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 01:32 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you Lexus drivers is rooting for the TLX?

I always had a special spot for Acura. My first car was a 3G, my parents own MDX's and my cousin used to drive a NSX. I am rooting for the TLX to do very well in it's segment.

I was doing some research and during the 3G days of the TL.......Acura was selling that car at 60-77k units per year. They managed to carve out a considerable niche in a very competitive segment that included the Infiniti G, Audi A4, 3 Series, and IS. I think they actually finished 2nd to only the 3 Series in it's segment.

The G,3 Series,A4,S60,ATS,IS segment is where Acura have the biggest chance when it comes to their sedans. This is the segment that they did very well in and could do very well in again. I am rooting for the TLX to finish top 3. I would love to see the 'end year sales' by 2015 end to read
Lexus IS
Bmw 3 Series
Acura TLX.
Old 01-24-14, 02:29 AM
LexFather

Uhh it's ES competition more than IS competition. Both are fwd and based on a fwd platform Camry/accord. Only 15% sold are awd and they now have dropped the manual.

I'm very happy that acura styled a 2006 IS and added a beak, 40 headlights and took away the exhaust. Considering how poorly the last gen sold it can only sell better, especially since it looks like the last gen IS which was a great looking car.

With a fwd/awd cla and a3 as new competition that is the core of acuras brand. I don't think they will ever reach back to the sales levels of the 2 or 3G TL.. Time passed, people loved on.

Old 01-24-14, 04:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^^^^ LOL final production car hasn't even been seen yet

I'm guessing its so cliche to bash Acura on CL that you won't find support for the TLX here.

I think its a great effort and a great looking car.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Considering how poorly the last gen sold it can only sell better.
LOL, last gen? its not a TL its not a TSX.....its a NEW model.

final production exhaust released.... jk

Last edited by bagwell; 01-24-14 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 05:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I like it

P.S.
By the way:

Since someone mentioned this as a TSX replacement, is there a chance that this car will be the new JDM Honda Accord?
Old 01-24-14, 05:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1988
The G,3 Series,A4,S60,ATS,IS segment is where Acura have the biggest chance when it comes to their sedans. This is the segment that they did very well in and could do very well in again. I am rooting for the TLX to finish top 3. I would love to see the 'end year sales' by 2015 end to read
Lexus IS
Bmw 3 Series
Acura TLX.
You forgot the MB C-Class
The new redesign will sell in huge #s for MB.......May overtake the 3Series eventually.

Most ppl dont cross shop 3Series, IS, C-class with TLX bec its FWD and not a real lux brand.
TLX SH-AWD sounds nice on paper but probably costs lots of $$$$ and most ppl will get FWD version.
Old 01-24-14, 05:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
IMHO I like it

P.S.
By the way:

Since someone mentioned this as a TSX replacement, is there a chance that this car will be the new JDM Honda Accord?
it looks like TSX replacement thats for sure... i bet we will get it in Europe.
Old 01-24-14, 05:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it looks like TSX replacement thats for sure... i bet we will get it in Europe.
the new TLX rides on the same wheelbase as the TL, and is about the same size inside, but is 3.8 in. shorter thanks to reduced front and rear overhangs.
Old 01-24-14, 06:45 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I'm always rooting for Honda or Acura to come out with some kickass products. More competition is a good thing. But considering how far and for how long they've had their heads stuck up their asses, I've just learned to never get my hopes up.
Old 01-24-14, 06:54 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I definitely considering it. Need to see it and drive it. It's for sure a better car than the 2IS i have.
Old 01-24-14, 08:11 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
Really how is it better?
Old 01-24-14, 08:16 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Really how is it better?
In any possible way, power, fuel efficiency, reliability, technology etc.
Btw, iI'm talking about IS250
Old 01-24-14, 09:30 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You forgot the MB C-Class
The new redesign will sell in huge #s for MB.......May overtake the 3Series eventually.

Most ppl dont cross shop 3Series, IS, C-class with TLX bec its FWD and not a real lux brand.
TLX SH-AWD sounds nice on paper but probably costs lots of $$$$ and most ppl will get FWD version.
The cross shop is a myth. A lot of people don't know what a front wheel drive is.

Actual sales ranks base the car segments on PRICE. They are not car fans on forums who can 'separate' cars based on style and performance.

The TL's average sales MSRP is around 35-43k... so that's it's segment.

I talked to my auto broker and he said the people who looked at G37'S over the last 2 years rarely if ever looked at Audi A4'S or AtS'S.. The G series is still considered a 'price' competitor.

You can't really say the TL don't belong against our Lexus, or the BMW 3 Series.. when they are ranked that way.

When the TL was a top 2 'entry level luxury sedan' in America during the mid 2000's...they were ranked as a top 2 mid sized luxury sedan in America..

It wasn't ranked as 'the Acura TL... '2nd tier luxury Brand' managed to finish ahead of '1st tier luxury brand BMW 3 Series' in sells.

We all know Acura isn't as good as BMW/LEXUS.... as a brand overall. There's no debate there. BUT within the TL PRICE SEGMENT.. they can be very very competitive against any top tier Brand. (As they proven in the past)
Old 01-24-14, 10:00 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I'm always rooting for Honda or Acura to come out with some kickass products. More competition is a good thing. But considering how far and for how long they've had their heads stuck up their asses, I've just learned to never get my hopes up.
Well say! I strongly believe I healthy competitions and rooting for all car companies to produce the best products they can.
Old 01-24-14, 10:51 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think non-enthusiasts don't care about brands and branding image--you're dead wrong.

Entire industries are devoted to crafting and maintaining a brand's image. Industries don't survive on enthusiasts, they cater to the everyman.
Old 01-24-14, 12:01 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

My name is a combo of Lexus and Acura. I am rooting for the TLX. But am a bigger Lexus fan now that I have an IS-F soon to be RC-F (?).

Quick Reply: How many of you Lexus drivers is rooting for the TLX?