Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How come Lexus/BMW/Mercedes double Audi's sells in America?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

While new car shopping last year I learned that the old 3.2 V6 was problematic and hurt Audi's reliability ratings. Now with the 3.0t and 2.0t things are improving.
Old 02-02-14, 03:17 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
While new car shopping last year I learned that the old 3.2 V6 was problematic and hurt Audi's reliability ratings. Now with the 3.0t and 2.0t things are improving.
The 2.0t is also problematic.

VW needs to restart from scratch.
Old 02-02-14, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Not even sure why I am wasting time in here as most of the O.Ps threads have been closed and I'm kind of shocked to see the comments about Audi. While they are not known for being the best in quality they have made improvements and Acura/infiniti have scored below average recently.

Audi is an example of how to do it. Look at where they are today in America compared to 10 or 20 years ago. The question "why are they not at BMW/Benz/Lexus level" is obvious, they are in the midst of a complete makeover and it WORKED.

Last year Audi sold better than ever and to put in in perspective
-has blown past Infiniti in sales, which was unheard of just a few years ago
-was only 7k units or so shy of Acura, which was unheard of just a few years ago

Audi's influence has been strong, no better example than the LED DRL's. Their advertising and marketing has been on point for the most part. People are IN LINE for their vehicles.

Another thing, Audi hasn't flooded their dealers with cars. Some of the harder spec cars/combinations have lines of people waiting. Audi could sell more if they got more cars to sell.

Audi might never reach the volume of the other brands mentioned as those brands have a stranglehold on the market. If any brand did become a 4th high seller, I would bet on Audi more than Cadillac or anyone else. Mind you worldwide, Audi does sell as much/more than the other 2 German brands.

Old 02-02-14, 04:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The 2.0t is also problematic.

VW needs to restart from scratch.
The 2.0's problems seem to be in the past beginning with the 2013 MY.
Old 02-02-14, 05:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Not even sure why I am wasting time in here as most of the O.Ps threads have been closed and I'm kind of shocked to see the comments about Audi. While they are not known for being the best in quality they have made improvements and Acura/infiniti have scored below average recently.

Audi is an example of how to do it. Look at where they are today in America compared to 10 or 20 years ago. The question "why are they not at BMW/Benz/Lexus level" is obvious, they are in the midst of a complete makeover and it WORKED.

-was only 7k units or so shy of Acura, which was unheard of just a few years ago

Audi's influence has been strong, no better example than the LED DRL's. Their advertising and marketing has been on point for the most part. People are IN LINE for their vehicles.

Another thing, Audi hasn't flooded their dealers with cars. Some of the harder spec cars/combinations have lines of people waiting. Audi could sell more if they got more cars to sell.

Audi might never reach the volume of the other brands mentioned as those brands have a stranglehold on the market. If any brand did become a 4th high seller, I would bet on Audi more than Cadillac or anyone else. Mind you worldwide, Audi does sell as much/more than the other 2 German brands.
Thank you. Now let's stop responding and let this thread go the way of the dodo
Old 02-03-14, 08:56 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
One last point!

Audi doesn't NEED to sell mass volumes of cars. They make more operating revenue, measured by piles of cash, for VAG than any other brand. They realized they don't need to sell cars when they can sell a brand. The car-selling part simply comes along with it.
Old 02-03-14, 11:17 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexFather

Neither one of my two threads have been closed. I think you were thinking about my posts which was too insulting to older people on this forum. I come from a boxing forum so I'm used to dealing with people my age instead of middle age Men. I already resolved the issue with the Admins.

Now as to insulting my thread, may I ask why? Did I insult Audi? No. Is this thread a troll topic? No.

I clearly stated that Audi HAVE TIER 1 CARS, but have TIER 2 Sales as compare to MB/BMW. The 1st part is an opinion(a lot of people actually don't consider Audi to have great cars), the 2nd part is a fact.(Audi does half the sales of Lexus)

I am not trolling or insulting any one in this thread, I am asking a legitimate question. I feel like you are a personal fan of Audi's and immediately feel the need to defend the four circles.
Old 02-03-14, 11:20 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
All the posts that were saying Audi have a bad image did not come from me. I did not troll this thread. I simply asked a question. Explain why this is not a legitimate thread.
Old 02-03-14, 12:24 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim1988
Neither one of my two threads have been closed. I think you were thinking about my posts which was too insulting to older people on this forum. I come from a boxing forum so I'm used to dealing with people my age instead of middle age Men. I already resolved the issue with the Admins.

Now as to insulting my thread, may I ask why? Did I insult Audi? No. Is this thread a troll topic? No.

I clearly stated that Audi HAVE TIER 1 CARS, but have TIER 2 Sales as compare to MB/BMW. The 1st part is an opinion(a lot of people actually don't consider Audi to have great cars), the 2nd part is a fact.(Audi does half the sales of Lexus)

I am not trolling or insulting any one in this thread, I am asking a legitimate question. I feel like you are a personal fan of Audi's and immediately feel the need to defend the four circles.
This is not a place where you have to strut around and shout down people you disagree with. So, put the machismo to rest, please.

Since when is any automaker's sales targets defined by a dude on the internet? Companies have internal sales targets... guess what? Audi hit theirs TWO YEARS prior to their goal. If # of units sold was all that mattered, where would Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Tesla, or any other number of coach builders like Callaway, Saleen, Shelby, etc, be? Are they TIER 6?

If Audi wanted to pursue pure volume, they could easily do so by making less money per vehicle sold. Instead, here in the US, they sell less cars for more money each, and retain an exclusivity no BMW has. In other markets, they sell a massive amount of cars for less money per car. Brand perception can be (and is) mutually exclusive in different markets.
Old 02-03-14, 01:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
This is not a place where you have to strut around and shout down people you disagree with. So, put the machismo to rest, please.

Since when is any automaker's sales targets defined by a dude on the internet? Companies have internal sales targets... guess what? Audi hit theirs TWO YEARS prior to their goal. If # of units sold was all that mattered, where would Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Tesla, or any other number of coach builders like Callaway, Saleen, Shelby, etc, be? Are they TIER 6?

If Audi wanted to pursue pure volume, they could easily do so by making less money per vehicle sold. Instead, here in the US, they sell less cars for more money each, and retain an exclusivity no BMW has. In other markets, they sell a massive amount of cars for less money per car. Brand perception can be (and is) mutually exclusive in different markets.
Thank you. … End thread….

Old 02-03-14, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra

Nothing to add to this...

Like I said before, its not a zero sum game.
Old 02-03-14, 02:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't think you are kidding anyone. What I think you meant to say is "Neither of my 2 threads which haven't been closed yet are closed, because I toned them down from my other 3 threads where I insulted people and used inappropriate references to a genocidal mass murderer".
Old 02-03-14, 02:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All the posts that were saying Audi have a bad image did not come from me. I did not troll this thread. I simply asked a question. Explain why this is not a legitimate thread.
You can't tell us that you didn't see your question heading here. Are we heading for lock down #4 from OP?
Old 02-03-14, 02:56 PM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
You can't tell us that you didn't see your question heading here. Are we heading for lock down #4 from OP?
Shut the *** up fgt. You think I give one **** about this forum? I post on BOXING FORUMS. My interest is boxers. I have about as much respect for you as I do for Audis.
Zero.

My little 2 week account can be banned and the effect it have on my life is literally zero.
Old 02-03-14, 03:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Shut the *** up fgt. You think I give one **** about this forum? I post on BOXING FORUMS. My interest is boxers. I have about as much respect for you as I do for Audis.
Zero.

My little 2 week account can be banned and the effect it have on my life is literally zero.
enough........