Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 11:40 AM
mowler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you 2IS owners feel about this new design? I saw this exact one coming in opposite direction this morning. This new design hasn't grown on me yet. I think 2IS looks more pleasant.
Old 02-06-14, 12:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

For those who are interested, and at the risk of beating a dead horse, here's how you can tell that this particular IS350, tested by Autoblog, was an IS350 model with the sole option package being the Luxury and Technology package. First, from the Lexus site, here is the contents of the package:

Luxury and Technology Package

Lane Departure Alert[*]
Intelligent high-beam headlamps[*]
Twin projector LED headlamps
Heated and ventilated front seats
Blind Spot Monitor[*] with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert[*]
Perforated leather interior trim
Linear Dark Gray or Linear Brown wood interior trim
Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
Lexus Memory system to control driver's seat, steering column and outside mirror positions
Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column
Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors

Special note here - the 18" wheel upgrade and the Navigation Package are not included in the Luxury and Technology Package, therefore this tested model is without those.

If you go to the autoblog site and pull up the photo gallery, you'll be able to see the best details.

Lane Departure Alert is only available with this package. The tested model has this as you can easily see the button for this located on the steering wheel (RH side).

From the pictures, you can also clearly see that this model has the dual LED headlights and the heated and ventilated seats. If you compare pictures of other ISs, you can see that the stitching patterns are different on the NuLuxe versus leather. This test car has leather. In one of the pictures of the steering wheel, you can also see the wiper stalk has an auto function - also part of this package. Also, on the driver's door, just forward of the handle, you can see the memory seat controls. You cannot, from the photos, verify the automatic high beams, however.

Hope this all makes sense and justifies where I am coming from. After reading all of this, it kind of makes me wish I had opted for the package!

Happy motoring, CL friends.

JDR76
Old 02-06-14, 03:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mowler
How do you 2IS owners feel about this new design? I saw this exact one coming in opposite direction this morning. This new design hasn't grown on me yet. I think 2IS looks more pleasant.
To be quite honest the 3IS is a natural evolution of the IS line. There's no mistaking them for anything different. Yes the front and rear are more polarizing but that's just the corporate look. All Lexus models have adopted it. As it stands, the 2IS and any earlier L-Finesse models seem to be more classy, but that's not to say some applications of the Spindle aren't elegant because they are. The 2013 LS is a prime example of that. As this pertains to the IS, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like both, but 3IS is a better overall vehicle than the 2IS in terms of handling, usability and space (60/40), technology. The 2IS however does use much better cabin materials than some of the waxy/rough ones you'll find on the 3IS.

Both good looking vehicles

Old 02-06-14, 04:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

^
Well said Hoovey. Dynamically, the 3IS is greater than the 2IS. Appearance is going to be a personal taste thing. To me, I'm more attracted to convservative and stately designs, rather than racy or boyish ones. I'm happy with my 2IS.
Old 02-06-14, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

something about the side profile - long wheelbase and small wheels combined with the up curve lines to the back that doesn't work for me.

nice car for sure, but the ones i've seen on the road haven't really done much for me. but then i don't think much of the latest 3 series (4 door) really. audi a4, a5, a6 look good to me. mb c class... so so. i think we're in a strange period of design where there's a tug of war between "understatement" and "look at me!" overstatement.
Old 02-06-14, 06:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
something about the side profile - long wheelbase and small wheels combined with the up curve lines to the back that doesn't work for me.

nice car for sure, but the ones i've seen on the road haven't really done much for me. but then i don't think much of the latest 3 series (4 door) really. audi a4, a5, a6 look good to me. mb c class... so so. i think we're in a strange period of design where there's a tug of war between "understatement" and "look at me!" overstatement.
I think the new IS looks terrible in photos, but simply amazing in person. I always drool wherever I see it on the roads.

Too bad most of them sold (at least here in NYC) are slow 250 awd versions.
Old 02-06-14, 06:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
but that's not to say some applications of the Spindle aren't elegant because they are. The 2013 LS is a prime example of that.
saw a new LS the other day, and couldn't help thinking the front looked too long and unsubtle now.

here's an '08 and a '13 to compare - love the LS of all gens, but i prefer the more understated front and back of the '08 to the refresh.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2014 Lexus IS 350-lschange.jpg  
Old 02-06-14, 06:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

saw a new LS the other day, and couldn't help thinking the front looked too long and unsubtle now.

here's an '08 and a '13 to compare - love the LS of all gens, but i prefer the more understated front and back of the '08 to the refresh.
I think you're just getting old!

The refreshed LS is freaking breathtaking (sorry for the gayish term), easily the best looking out of the bunch.
Old 02-06-14, 06:25 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with all the top statements regarding the new 3IS! And the new LS is beautiful in my eyes.

Sadly, no matter how great the driving characteristics of the new IS are, I can not imagine buying a car that doesn't look good to me.
Old 02-06-14, 07:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by yowps3
When driving my 2IS back to back with the 3IS i feel that the 2IS is more nimble & light. Taking a corner in the 3IS you really do feel that the car is bigger and heavier.

Also another aspect is acceleration. The 3IS does feel slower than the 2IS (IS350)
No expert shares this opinion, including me. The 3IS drives worlds better. The construction of the 3IS chassis was specifically designed to have less flex included less welds and use of super adhesive. The 3IS is heavier yet feels far more nimble. The steering is night and day difference.

Originally Posted by Och
I think you're just getting old!

The refreshed LS is freaking breathtaking (sorry for the gayish term), easily the best looking out of the bunch.
He thinks the JETTA is a world clas design and has stated he doesn't like or get Lexus so of course he's going to nitpick the IS. So I would just ignore design opinions.

The IS pictured is not flattering and I hope no one posts a lowered 3 series with larger wheels at the perfect angle saying "this is how you design a car" lol.

In person the car is stunning even stock. Immediately recognizable as a Lexus and original. LEXUS OWNERS are happy and that is what matters.

Old 02-06-14, 07:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
^
Well said Hoovey. Dynamically, the 3IS is greater than the 2IS. Appearance is going to be a personal taste thing. To me, I'm more attracted to convservative and stately designs, rather than racy or boyish ones. I'm happy with my 2IS.

The Spindle is well implemented though on the LS. The IS, GX and CT are on a far more aggressive scale but due in part to their positions in the line-up.

The BMW line is hit and miss for me. No on the new X5, hell yes on the 6-Series Gran Coupe. The Audi's I've found personally are good looking vehicles but they look rather vanilla compared to everything else lately. A4 reminds me of a Jetta :/

Originally Posted by Och
I think the new IS looks terrible in photos, but simply amazing in person. I always drool wherever I see it on the roads.

Too bad most of them sold (at least here in NYC) are slow 250 awd versions.
Certain colors help too. I've found some spindle cars aren't as photogenic as others

I'd have to agree the '08, well pre '10 facelift has to be among the most elegant of the large flagships. A modern ambiance of class and fluidity though I will say the S-Class released at the same time was like V8 in a tux

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I agree with all the top statements regarding the new 3IS! And the new LS is beautiful in my eyes.

Sadly, no matter how great the driving characteristics of the new IS are, I can not imagine buying a car that doesn't look good to me.
Absolutely. I'll admit the interior is more important to me on the grander scheme of things as that's where I spend my time, but the exterior is no compromise if it's not attractive.
Old 02-06-14, 07:43 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah Lexus could of easily enhanced the appearance by just giving it bigger wheels and less wheel gap.

But here are a few pics I took of the 2IS

Old 02-06-14, 08:00 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I own a 2IS and had a 3iS as a loner for 2 weeks and I think 3IS handles very well comparing with 2IS, the seats are amazing (2IS seats are the worst in any car I've been) they finally fixed the shifters to do what they suppose to do. I think they cut some things away tho which makes me think Lexus wants to give you always something by taking out something. It seems that they cannot make a thing complete right. No ashtray, not sunglassholder, no interior LED , poorer materials, etc
Looks is subjective but I like them both. Not a bog fan of the rear 3is but the front is aggressive and sporty and really like the grill. I really wish they'll updated the super grandma powetrain,. That's what's holding me to buy a 3IS, they haven;t convinced me to pay the huge difference for the changes they did. I'm not getting a whole new car. I'm getting the same lady with a different dress.
However, I think the biggest Lexus handicap is the technology. It's was always sluggish, hard to use. you cannot type an address fast, you need to wait 2 seconds after every letter instead to type it fast, digitizer going bad, nav resting on the last generation They really need to hire someone who knows what they're doing.

Last edited by keyframe13; 02-06-14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-06-14, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
He thinks the JETTA is a world clas design
the jetta being the 3rd best selling car in the world in 2013 says something about it being world class.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/t...tml/?a=viewall

and has stated he doesn't like or get Lexus
thanks for your input, but that is not true. i still like many things about lexus as a brand and specific models. doesn't mean i like everything, as do reasonable objective people unlike some.

The IS pictured is not flattering
it came from the review, i didn't seek it out.

In person the car is stunning even stock.
you're entitled to your opinion, just as everyone is, but i disagree. it looks good from some angles to me, and best in black. obviously bigger wheels help as with most cars, although stock fitments continue to be an ongoing problem.

LEXUS OWNERS are happy and that is what matters.
clearly not all lexus owners are happy with the 3IS, but it doesn't matter either way, just as your opinion and mine don't matter. what matters is does it sell, and it's selling decently!
Old 02-07-14, 06:20 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

That's what YOU think.

The new spindle grille LS looks really nice. Makes the old one look bland.

Quick Reply: Review: 2014 Lexus IS 350