Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are the days of negotiating new car prices coming to a end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 11:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
It makes little sense also I think, to try to save yourself few pennies on a new car as a new car looses 30/40% of the value in the first 2/3 years Saving 1-2k shouldn't be your main concern if you're buying new
So negotiating $5K off a '14 GS with a $60K sticker (which is very possible) isn't worth it because the car will depreciate so much in 2/3 years?
Old 02-11-14, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm in the minority but I enjoy the haggling game with dealers.
I do too lol
Old 02-11-14, 01:13 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought my last three vehicles through online quotes and didn't have to spend one minute negotiating. This doesn't mean I don't shop around or compare, not at all. I do my due diligence and send out specs and pull every quote I can within a reasonable area. I pick the best one (not just based on price), go down with a check and come back with a new car. (most recently used carwoo)

I don't enjoy any of the tactics or the game at the dealer. While I personally choose not to play I do think negotiating is here to stay because it's so ingrained into the auto-buying culture for the people who do.
Old 02-11-14, 01:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
While our dealers New Car department will negotiate. Our Used Car department is a "one price" store. We take a look at the market and price just below the lowest.
Yup. Just bought a 2010 ISF two days ago and there was a single low price and it was take it or leave it. I took it because the car was very low mileage and competitively priced
Old 02-12-14, 03:05 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when looking at a new car i just buy at the end of the year model clearance. for example just a few years ago my mom got a new $22k camry that was marked down to only $15k.
Old 02-12-14, 12:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yup. Just bought a 2010 ISF two days ago and there was a single low price and it was take it or leave it. I took it because the car was very low mileage and competitively priced
are you serious?! Congrats!
Old 02-12-14, 12:42 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats!
Old 02-14-14, 07:26 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Similar story on my 2012 S4 that had 16.5k miles on it. I pushed hard and was told it was a firm price. After some talking they agreed to $500 off. I asked if they'd instead give an extra $1000 for my trade-in and I'd pay asking price for the S4, and they agreed.
Old 02-14-14, 09:40 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I never really negotiated. I just call up all the local dealerships and ask to talk to the fleet manager. I simply say what is the bottom line price... usually they will either say a few hundred above invoice or they will beat any local dealership in their target area.
Old 02-14-14, 02:59 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Negotiating is fine. Question is when do you stop negotiating and sign the dotted line? What would you feel if the salesperson agrees to your price, right off the bat. Would you negotiate even more?
Old 02-14-14, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Negotiating is fine. Question is when do you stop negotiating and sign the dotted line? What would you feel if the salesperson agrees to your price, right off the bat. Would you negotiate even more?
No. When I go into a negotiation, I have a very clear idea of what I want to achieve. I think the issue is when people go into a dealership and they don't know what they want and they don't know whats reasonable. I don't want to take every dollar out of the salesperson's or dealer's pocket, I just want as good a deal as is possible and reasonable that is fair.

If a dealer meets my price right off the bat...IU'll sign.
Old 02-14-14, 03:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not for more money off.
I usually ask for a set of all weather mats some time after numbers are accepted.A dealer usually won't blow a deal for a set of all weather mats.
Old 10-28-14, 06:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

News link: Car Dealers Outraged by Haggling Ads

The world has changed.

Lawyers no longer enjoy making money. Burglars just do it for the fun and will always return everything they've taken. And car dealers don't haggle.

I must confess that this last one I definitely didn't know. But the information emerges from an unholy spat that has occurred between certain auto dealers and car-shopping research site Edmunds.com.

The site prides itself on presenting post-haggle prices. I know this because, just now, I looked and the main headline on the home page read: "Get the post-haggle price."

Pressing hard on the logic button above my left eyebrow, I deduced that this was a contrast to, say, car dealers who enjoy befuddling the innocent and rubbing their hands with glee after winning yet another round of I Am Marvin Haggler.

Supporting this logic were amusing YouTube ads released by Edmunds. They showed a grocery store checkout clerk attempting to haggle with entirely real, innocent customers.
Yes, he even uses the phrase: "What would I have to do to get you to take these cans away today?" The cans were presumably full of something like tuna. The poor customers all look entirely bemused to the point of annoyance, something that never happens at car dealers.

The idea, of course, was to suggest that if you wanted to be free of such behavior you should rely on help from Edmunds.

There was one section of humanity that didn't find the ads funny. Oddly enough, it was car dealers.

As AdAge reports, some were so strangely direct about their complaints that Edmunds.com took the ads down. Its president Seth Berkovitz even declared that the ads had "missed the mark." He added that the ads "reinforced outdated stereotypes."

I find myself making involuntary gurgling noises when I read the objections of Jeff Wyler, CEO of Wyler Automotive Group in Cincinnati, Ohio. He told AdAge that he was removing his company's ads from Edmunds.

He explained: "Negotiating prices on cars has always been expected by the consumer and having it referred to as 'haggling' by a company that I am a customer of is insulting."

Oh, it's negotiating. It isn't haggling at all. Hell hath no fury like a car dealer insulted.
Old 10-28-14, 06:58 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
How can that be TOTALLY false? Are you telling me that if I go in any store I can negotiate the big items prices and the managers WILL agree?! That would make it TOTALLY false. In reality some might do some might send you to buy if from amazon.
I did mention that dealers might have sales if stock is big, or manufacture might have rebate. My point of negotiations is that you cannot negotiate like you'll do with a used car. Especially if there is an all new model it's little room to negotiate as the demand is high.. Next year you have higher chances to get some rebates, etc
Like no dealer wanted to stay with 30 2013 Lexus IS when the 14 was coming in stock for the same price and was redesigned.
Yes, you can negotiate at the stores. I have done it when I buy a TV, stereo system or anything else for that matter. I always try to negotiate. My friend grandma who came from Israel was at the department store and was able to bring the price down on some cloths for her grandchild.

It may not always work, but it is possible in many cases.
Old 10-28-14, 07:04 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you hustle until they try to throw you out, that's how you know you squeezed them dry.

You should know what is a good deal before going there, but you never stop negotiating, because they always try to sneak fees into your contract (interior protection/exterior protection, tire protection etc.), and sell you a higher MF/APR.

So many times we would agree on the price, then they take me to Finance Manager, and I find myself negotiating for Money Factor, accessories etc...

Last edited by FastTags; 10-28-14 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Are the days of negotiating new car prices coming to a end?