Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Sales down in 2013…drops Sales VP

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Default Kia Sales down in 2013…drops Sales VP

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...EM02/140209861

He had a great run….The bold part I wasn't aware of…

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly described the timing and nature of Kia's marketing pact with the National Basketball Association. It was first signed in January 2008, and renewed and expanded for two seasons in October 2010.

LOS ANGELES -- Kia Motors America's marketing boss, Michael Sprague, will assume the new role of executive vice president of sales and marketing following the departure of Tom Loveless, Kia's executive vice president of sales.

The move is effective immediately, Kia said in a statement late Friday.

"On behalf of KMA, we thank Tom for his contributions to Kia's growth in the U.S., and we wish him success in all his future endeavors," Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO of Kia Motors America, said in a statement. "This restructuring is intended to support our long-term strategy and continued growth in the U.S. market."

A Kia spokesman declined to comment further on Loveless' departure when contacted by Automotive News.

The changes follow a 4-percent drop in Kia's U.S. sales year, to 535,179 units, its first decrease in volume since 2008.

Sprague, 48, joined Kia in August 2008 from Ford Motor Co., where he led marketing for the Lincoln and Mercury brands.

In his new role, he will oversee all U.S. sales and marketing activities for Kia. As part of the restructuring, Kia said its U.S. retail development efforts will also report to him.

In the statement, Kia credited Sprague for the launch of 16 all-new or revamped models while also raising "consumer awareness, perception and consideration for the brand through expanded marketing activities."

Under Sprague, Kia's profile has been broadened through Super Bowl advertising and a well regarded marketing campaign for the boxy Soul subcompact, featuring hamsters.

Kia also renewed and expanded a high-profile sports marketing deal in October 2010 with the National Basketball Association, and signed on as a sponsor for the LPGA, under Sprague. The NBA and Kia first signed a marketing pact in January 2008.

Loveless joined Kia in 2007 as vice president of sales after a 24-year career at Chrysler Group.

At Kia, he led the company's sales operation through a period of rapid growth in which it set annual U.S. sales records in 2010, 2011 and 2012. The company's U.S. market share grew from 1.9 percent when he joined in 2007 to a high of 3.8 percent in 2012 before receding to 3.4 percent last year.

Also during Loveless' tenure, Kia posted 27 consecutive monthly U.S. sales records through Nov. 2012.

Loveless' exit is the second recent departure of a high-ranking U.S. executive from a Korean automaker.

In December, Hyundai Motor Co. replaced John Krafcik as CEO of Hyundai Motor America with Dave Zuchowski, formerly head of U.S. sales. Hyundai said at the time Krafcik was employed under a contract that ran through the end of 2013.

It's unclear whether Loveless was forced out or resigned.

But Kia and its parent, Hyundai Motor Group, have a history of keeping U.S. executives under tight reins, sometimes parting ways if they don't reach sales targets.

Separately, Kia promoted Adam Perlow to vice president of sales

Old 02-10-14, 04:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

This is a little off topic, but today at the Chicago Auto Show the new Genesis, Equus and Kia K900 had a lot of people around them. There was a bit of a wait to sit in any of them. The show was pretty busy, not weekend-type busy, but a pretty good crowd, and these were the busiest displays of the ones that I was interested in.

No way to tell how many were potential buyers or just lookers.
Old 02-10-14, 04:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like a cultural thing
Old 02-10-14, 04:47 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's always something funny about Hyundai & Kia's show floor at the motor show. There seems to always be too much people crowding about.

Perhaps Hyundai hires them all just like how Samaung hires people to tarnish other brands online.
Old 02-10-14, 04:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
There's always something funny about Hyundai & Kia's show floor at the motor show. There seems to always be too much people crowding about.

Perhaps Hyundai hires them all just like how Samaung hires people to tarnish other brands online.
interesting
Old 02-10-14, 05:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I suppose that anything is possible. I guess I'm not that paranoid. Just a lot of regular looking folks browsing around the cars.
Old 02-10-14, 09:31 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I suppose that anything is possible. I guess I'm not that paranoid. Just a lot of regular looking folks browsing around the cars.
It's more than possible.

So I guess people aren't interested by Mercedes, Porsche's, Jaguars etc but are more interested in a Hyundai Genesis.

The last time I went to a motor show was in Oct 2012 and in the Hyundai stand you had many, many people standing around Hyundai's talking about them and showing more interest then usual.

Where as all the other brand were almost empty. I mean come on.
Old 02-11-14, 01:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

It's more than possible.

So I guess people aren't interested by Mercedes, Porsche's, Jaguars etc but are more interested in a Hyundai Genesis.

The last time I went to a motor show was in Oct 2012 and in the Hyundai stand you had many, many people standing around Hyundai's talking about them and showing more interest then usual.

My original comment wasn't meant to imply that the other displays were empty, just that the K900, Genesis and Equus had quite a few people looking at them.
Old 02-11-14, 11:16 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

It's more than possible.

strange. every time i go to chicago autoshow, hyundai section is somewhat empty.
Old 02-12-14, 02:54 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

yup

i would rather see the new FT-1 and Z06 over the Genesis, Equus and Kia K900 anyday.