Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for suggestions on a more "family" friendly ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 03:39 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions on a more "family" friendly ride

Hey folks, wanted to get input on a new vehicle. I currently drive a 2008 2IS. We recently added a growing puppy into our lives and with the wedding coming up, I will also need to look into more room for the family. I need to look at a vehicle that can accommodate more without driving a boat.

I prefer wagons, but I'm open to suggestions. Time to purchase is roughly a year, so there is plenty of time if there is a new refresh that looks promising down the road.

Let's hear your suggestions CL!
Old 02-11-14, 04:13 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

A4 Allroad , probably my favorite audi atm.

If money is no object E63 wagon
Old 02-11-14, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Hey folks, wanted to get input on a new vehicle. I currently drive a 2008 2IS. We recently added a growing puppy into our lives and with the wedding coming up, I will also need to look into more room for the family. I need to look at a vehicle that can accommodate more without driving a boat.

I prefer wagons, but I'm open to suggestions. Time to purchase is roughly a year, so there is plenty of time if there is a new refresh that looks promising down the road.

what brand and what amount of money? For the puppy, i would say car based SUV or Wagon... maybe Forester Turbo?
Old 02-11-14, 04:21 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doge
A4 Allroad , probably my favorite audi atm.

If money is no object E63 wagon
Thanks for the response. I was looking at the A4 wagon, but they discontinued it in favor of the allroad. If i'm not mistaken that's based on the A6 platform?

Did not know the E63 had a wagon, but it looks like those are starting around 60k. Not looking to spend that much. On the high end would prefer not to spend over 50k.
Old 02-11-14, 04:27 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
what brand and what amount of money? For the puppy, i would say car based SUV or Wagon... maybe Forester Turbo?
I'm not tied to a particular brand this time around. Obviously I love my Lexus and if they came out with a bigger wagon then the CT (with a better engine) I would love to look at that. Price limit is 50k. This would also most likely be my daily driver, which is why I was leaning towards a wagon.

I'll look into the Forester Turbo, thanks!
Old 02-11-14, 04:28 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the A4 wagon, but they discontinued it in favor of the allroad. If i'm not mistaken that's based on the A6 platform?

Did not know the E63 had a wagon, but it looks like those are starting around 60k. Not looking to spend that much. On the high end would prefer not to spend over 50k.
The All road of ther 2000's was based of the a6 but the current allroad is based off the a4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Allroad-Premium-Plus-2013-audi-premium-plus-/231152307263?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35d1c04c3f&item=231152307263&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 02-11-14, 04:33 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

If you want something more frugal the CT200h is great option, I would recommend the A3 TDi but it appears they dont have a hatch out for the U.S Market. There is also the elusive 328i estate, I personally haven't seen one on the streets yet.
Old 02-11-14, 04:38 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

The All road of ther 2000's was based of the a6 but the current allroad is based off the a4

Audi Allroad Premium Plus | eBay
If you want something more frugal the CT200h is great option, I would recommend the A3 TDi but it appears they dont have a hatch out for the U.S Market. There is also the elusive 328i estate, I personally haven't seen one on the streets yet.
I guess I was misinformed with the A4 wagon and allroad. Thanks!

I've driven the CT on different occasions for a loaner vehicle and while the 60/40 split was nice, I didn't think there was enough room in the hatch back for my husky without folding the seats down.
Old 02-11-14, 04:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If u like wagons and sport - cant beat BMW 328xi wagon in Msport trim....looks awesome.

New Porsche Macan would be perfect but its over 50k.
Old 02-11-14, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If you like wagons, Subaru has a plethora of them, Audi Allroad or used Avant, 3-Series has a few hatch variants, X3, TSX wagon. Lots of choices even beyond those
Old 02-11-14, 06:53 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

A3 TDi hatch was available until last year, but has been discontinued. Nice upscale small car with Audi's fantastic DSG transmission.

As for the F31 touring, there's also a 328d, which would be my choice (of course). I saw one at my local dealer a few weeks ago.

The Golf R is another fantastic hatchback (not a wagon), with good space and a great drivetrain. Fuel economy is abysmal for a 2L 4-banger, but it's an absolute hoot to drive.
Old 02-11-14, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If u like wagons and sport - cant beat BMW 328xi wagon in Msport trim....looks awesome.

Its a project car. 2014 328xi this is an old pic, it now has the M Performance kit, down pipe, GTHaus full exhaust and has been tuned. I think it was pricy at around 55k for a 328, no 335 is offered but if you want a wagon its one of the few.

Old 02-12-14, 03:01 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

I say Lexus RX or Acura MDX

i also forgot, there is the TSX wagon. last year for them so maybe you can get a good deal.
Old 02-12-14, 09:43 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Yeah I had a friend suggest that also. I like how it looks, the engine has enough power and the HUD looks very interesting. I tend to keep my cars longer than 5 years so I will have to look into the forums to see if people are experiencing any issues with them.

Very surprised that the 328d is less than 2k sticker from the regular version. Might have to consider diesel for the first time. Also looks like there's ample space in the back with BMW showing 5 puppies hanging out there lol.

Yeah the Porsche is nice, just don't think it has the fuel economy and it's kinda out of my price.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for suggestions on a more "family" friendly ride-bmw-2014-328-page-10.jpg  
Old 02-12-14, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We recently added a growing puppy into our lives and with the wedding coming up, I will also need to look into more room for the family. I need to look at a vehicle that can accommodate more without driving a boat.

Congratulations on the puppy....and best of luck to your new pet. If it is not adequately housebroken, though (or has a tendency, like many puppies, to relieve itself almost anywhere), a used Honda Element, with its water-resistant, rubber/vinyl-coated floor/interior surfaces and easy hose-out cleaning, might be the best answer in the short run until Fido is fully-trained. Then you could look at something a little more upscale and with a nicer interior....which is probably what you wanted in the first place, right?

Elements, BTW, like most Honda/Acura products, have been very reliable. The only problem I'm aware of was a defect in the oil filter-mount on early models, which was long since rectified.

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions on a more "family" friendly ride