Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Maybe in the US, not in Canada. So I can't speak to what happens on the south side of the border. Here in Quebec, they are still playing the: ``We are Lexus, we don't have to lower prices to sell cars`` policy. Yes they will call you 3-6 months before, but not a whole year before the end of the term.
LOL, thats not at all the way things are in the US. I've never bought a Lexus and paid more than 8-10% below the MSRP. Getting out of the lease is all a question of trade values. if they can offer you enough on the trade to get the residual plus the remaining payments, they can get you out of the lease.
Old 03-21-14, 10:38 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
MOST leases nowadays allow you to trade out or buy out the lease at any time as long as you can get the payoff. The payoff is the residual plus all the remaining payments. Thats usually doable about 6 months before the end.
This is correct... done it half dozen times myself...
Old 03-21-14, 01:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
LOL, thats not at all the way things are in the US. I've never bought a Lexus and paid more than 8-10% below the MSRP. Getting out of the lease is all a question of trade values. if they can offer you enough on the trade to get the residual plus the remaining payments, they can get you out of the lease.
Originally Posted by rdgdawg
This is correct... done it half dozen times myself...
Did this myself once and asked about it another time.

In 1998 (2nd-year of the Gen4 Camry), I traded my Gen3 Camry for a Gen4, 2+ years in to a 4-year lease. Considering the Gen4 Camry was relatively new at the time, there was likely a market for good-condition Gen3 Camrys.

And not too long ago, I was asked if I would consider trading in my 2010 Corolla (2+ / 3-years in to a 4-year lease). The Sales manager took a look but we did not proceed when he noticed the key scratches on the passenger-side front and rear doors; the cost to re-paint the doors would likely have eaten up the profit he could make buying out my lease and selling the car on their used car lot.

I have always dealt with the same dealer, both for purchase and servicing so they know me; I have a good relationship with that dealership and the people in Sales and Service. That helps.
Old 03-26-14, 09:35 AM
tin369
Rookie

This thread has been very helpful with lots of information. I have now a decision to make, so need a little push as to which way to go.

The q5 is being offered with premium package 2.0t at a good discount, and I am also considering the X3, since we already have the 3 series and I know how the bmws drive. With the Q5 I like the seats and interior feels luxurious.

Both are similar in size and I have read in the bmw forums where people are getting $7000-$9000 off of mrsp,
So my rational is that I may geta fully loaded X3 basically a %0k car for 41k or a 42k q5 for 38k.
Old 03-26-14, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd choose the Q5 over the X3 every time...
Old 03-26-14, 10:57 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tin369, I've looked through all these posts, but my sincerest apologies if I've missed, but I cannot see where you say exactly what you need an SUV for. Certainly you will know where you'll use it and for what purposes. This country is absolutely SUV crazy and I get the question a lot: Which SUV? Well, you must absolutely be sure what you want it for. Have a look at drive trains if you plan to go onto unpaved terrain. There's a bewildering variety of combinations available. Some offer selectable AWD, while others leave that for a computer to decide. But you will know what fancies you, my advice here is to do a bit of research first about what hardware you will end up in the drive train stakes. This goes for boot capacity etc. etc etc. also.
Lastly and most importantly, you must feel at home in your choice. Too many people end up with an SUV with
an impressive spec sheet and/or an SUV that will impress the in-laws, but in which they feel like a guy who received his online ordered Russian bride (maybe super model looks, but she just doesn't set his pulse racing),
Of course I would recommend an RX350, but that's because I felt like coming home when I first opened that driver's door. Might not give you the same feeling, but take my word, it never tires me.
Old 03-26-14, 02:36 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

I've read through the posts and sorry if I missed it but how long do you think you will keep the vehicle? I shopped the X3 and Q5 and came right back to the RX. Knowing others that have Audi's/BMW's, and the fact that I 'might' keep this one for some time, I wanted something reliable and easier on the wallet if something does break. I wanted the backup camera and had to get a Q5 loaded for one, even though I did not want nav. The X3 did not have blind spot monitoring- the new '15 may, I'm not sure. When all was done, I know for me I made the right choice.
Old 03-26-14, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He's already ruled out the RX...
Old 03-26-14, 05:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know why the ML isn't considered but its the first time I thought a conventional mercedes flat-out beat a comparable Lexus.
Old 03-26-14, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ML is far more expensive than the X3 or Q5...even conservatively optioned an ML is $60k. The GLK would be a closer competitor...and I'd rather have either the X3 or the Q5.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-26-14 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
I have now a decision to make, so need a little push as to which way to go.
One potential word of caution I have is that if you choose any upmarket German-brand model, for several reasons, I wouldn't advise keeing it past the warranty or lease period. Service/repair and parts can be very expensive, and, though some of the service managers and advisors can be nice and customer-friendly, others can sometimes be difficult to deal with. Though it has been generally been changing in recent years, a number of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche dealerships still have a reputation of being not only expensive but snooty as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 03:28 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I,ve always been a keen admirer of Jerryboy cars. Did visit the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart last year as well, but yes mmarshall, I'm afraid you're right. Soon they will tell you, like Rolls Royce in the olden days, that you must consider it a privilege to buy their cars and we all know what happened to Rolls Royce.
Here we tend to look at SUV's from an off-road capability angle. X3's and Q5, are not really taken seriously. At best a vehicle the Brits use to tow their silly caravans (trailers) to camping sites which they consider a rural area (here it will pass as an overcrowded industrial area). How then.....you would ask....is it that you drive an RX350. Well, I don't think a lightweight like the X3 has a chance in hell to stay on its wheels, where an RX350 will hardly bat an eyelid.

Last edited by nipponbird; 03-27-14 at 04:12 AM. Reason: wrong model indication
Old 03-27-14, 05:40 AM
tin369
Rookie

Originally Posted by G Star
I don't know why the ML isn't considered but its the first time I thought a conventional mercedes flat-out beat a comparable Lexus.
I have read a lot of people liking the MB ML350, and based on that I went for a test drive.
I can't believe, how the people who complain about too many buttons or too little buttons or every small little things don't bring these major for me design flaws on the ML.

I was surprised to find the seat adjustments are on the door panel WTF. I can understand memory setting but not seat adjustments, it feels weird. The gear shifter is in the steering column, and chances are people are going to think its for the wipers. The back seat fold down is a joke. Such expensive car and no way to fold it from the trunk, and even from the second row seats its a two step process, lift the bench seat first then the lay the back seat down, stupid stupid stupid....

Lastly, smart key, does not automatically remember by key for the last seat setting, you have to hit the memory button manually every time. for a car that easily goes unto 70-80k no thank you.
Old 03-27-14, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One potential word of caution I have is that if you choose any upmarket German-brand model, for several reasons, I wouldn't advise keeing it past the warranty or lease period. Service/repair and parts can be very expensive, and, though some of the service managers and advisors can be nice and customer-friendly, others can sometimes be difficult to deal with. Though it has been generally been changing in recent years, a number of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche dealerships still have a reputation of being not only expensive but snooty as well.
About a year ago while cross shopping models from Audi, MB and BMW was in a number of dealerships from each brand. My experience was good in all of them. MB seemed to take a little more formal approach vs. Audi and BMW, but all the reps I dealt with were knowledgeable and low pressure. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-27-14, 09:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
I have read a lot of people liking the MB ML350, and based on that I went for a test drive.
I can't believe, how the people who complain about too many buttons or too little buttons or every small little things don't bring these major for me design flaws on the ML.

I was surprised to find the seat adjustments are on the door panel WTF. I can understand memory setting but not seat adjustments, it feels weird. The gear shifter is in the steering column, and chances are people are going to think its for the wipers. The back seat fold down is a joke. Such expensive car and no way to fold it from the trunk, and even from the second row seats its a two step process, lift the bench seat first then the lay the back seat down, stupid stupid stupid....

Lastly, smart key, does not automatically remember by key for the last seat setting, you have to hit the memory button manually every time. for a car that easily goes unto 70-80k no thank you.
This all has to do with what you're familiar with for your brand experiences. Mercedes has always had the seat adjustments on the door. Some people think it's much better to actually see the pieces, and not have to jam your hand in between the seat and the door, which would be tight in some vehicles.

Gear shifter on the column, same thing. GM generally has had wipers on the left stalk, no right stalk. And the electronic shifter opens up the center console area for great storage, etc. Cars all used to have column shifters mounted on the right side (GM trucks and SUV's still do!)

Packaging for the seat could leave much to be desired, but should allow for a very flat load floor in the back, no odd hump or incline to deal with when pushing cargo in. 2 row 4Runner's used the same method/mechanism.

But again, these can all be personal preferences and you have to acknowledge that the ML is at the end of a lengthy lifecycle. It just doesn't seem to be the vehicle for you, and that's fine. Glad you're just finally getting in vehicles and not going off posts at the forum.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions